Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Coming from New York and need some ideas on what to bring as gifts for my indo friends and thier families .

Ideas I have are Chocolates, usa keychains and stickers
any other ideas or suggestions are welcome

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
We like to bring t-shirts with our state featured or local attractions. Do not recommend shirts with Bloomberg's face.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I used to bring reading glasses for my Balinese friends' old parents and for them to distribute to their own old friends in the same old age predicament. No Pierre Cardin or Versace mind you, I just would stop at the "$1.00 Store" and get couple of dozen, power +2 to +4. This sounds trivial, even ridiculous, but in the villages, where money does not grow on trees, old folks cannot buy this basic necessity, and as a result, they slowly but surely drop out of the family life, not being able to do useful work or reading the newspaper.

Last edited:

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
I used to bring reading glasses for my Balinese friends' old parents and for them to distribute to their own old friends in the same old age predicament. No Pierre Cardin or Versace mind you, I just would stop at the "$1.00 Store" and get couple of dozen, power +2 to +4. This sounds trivial, even ridiculous, but in the villages, where money does not grow on trees, old folks cannot buy this basic necessity, and as a result, they slowly but surely drop out of the family life, not being able to do useful work or reading the newspaper.
No, that is brilliant and something I would have never thought of... I'm now on a quest.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
I actually work in conjunction with a Canadian crew named In Focus Foundation. The arrangement is giving local people sets of glasses in exchange for some local art.
This is then auctioned in Canada to fund the next importation of glasses. Every year the amount of glasses brought in increases. Last year 1,200 sets of glasses were brought in and given out for free throughout various areas of Indonesia.
In-Focus Foundation
I also have friends who work with various large companies (eg Alcoa in Pinjarra, Western Australia). They are issued with new prescription safety glasses every 12 months. I then collect the second hand ones and we send these throughout Indonesia.
While I am raving on about glasses and eyes, we also do a fair bit of fund raising for the John Fawcett Foundation. A mate and I host events such as Melbourne Cup events or ANZAC Day two-up. The proceeds are then donated to help save someone's eye sight or go towards cleft palate operations.
THE JOHN FAWCETT FOUNDATION - YAYASAN KEMANUSIAAN INDONESIA

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You might also try asking around your friends and parents if anyone has oldish mobile phones (unlocked please) whatever age laying around. Also slightly more weighty but wooden children's puzzles are well received - wood because the paper ones don't last 5 minutes.

bjbjrowe

Apr 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
The glasses are a great idea - I'll have to remember that one. We collect all our unwanted warm-weather clothing and fill all available space in our suitcases. Along with purses, small toiletries, small toys such as coloring books and good crayons, etc. All these things are very appreciated.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
If I suggested blankets & beads would I be considered cynical?

Seriously: kids picture books, crayons

@ bjbjrowe: I'm not sure about the "unwanted warm-weather clothing" idea.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
wooden children's puzzles
coloring books and good crayons

Above are ordered

Thanks

I should not have and problems with Customs with all this ?

Lovegrove

Feb 7, 2013
Karangasem
Cynical NOT - I have a little bit of a (?) also regarding cheap glasses, not sure if I am the only one that gets hit upon in the streets, but these type of glasses are on offer everywhere for next to nothing, unfortunately, my other half requires the "readily available" non script specs, which he purchases in Bali with a smile.....I am well aware of the John Fawcett Foundation, but this is trying to eliminate cataract blindness, not something you can bring along in empty space..
I think it's wonderful that people are asking questions on what to bring, I am just not sure I agree on OP suggestions...
Like the wooden puzzle suggestion, basic English books, stickers, crayons...cant go wrong

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
About 18 months ago I stayed @ the Sully Inn (or lodge) on the road into Ubud on the right just before the museum (on the left)... anyway it also doubles as a Hospitality School preparing teenage kids for hotel-type jobs - so the kids are desk staff, waiters, cooks etc (there's also a school hall & class rooms for real lessons).

They had a Mojito (Mohito potato potato whatever) on the drinks menu, I tried it, probably the worst I'd ever had, so I gently commented to the grown-up in change & before I knew it I was in the kitchen making Mojitos while the responsible adult took notes - plural that is, strangely I couldn't quite get the recipe right so some trial & error was required ;)

Well that broke the ice, so to speak. My 13 yr old daughter wound up joining the girls in their Balinese dance class. When the bill came there was a strange little discount that didn't relate to anything (less than 2%) , but I assumed it was a Mr Congeniality discount (it went back into the 'tips box')

Anyway they're always in need of kids books n stuff. I've passed the place a few times since & generally drop off a box of 2nd hand cook books... kinda become a project.

Lovegrove

Feb 7, 2013
Karangasem
Really can relate to this SHoggard - we were often warned by expats, not to venture into local schools, why? Not sure, something to do with a territorial thing amongst expat teachers - I guess- maybe not secure in their own forum?

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Going to a local school & talking english is no problem, expat teachers are only in private & national+ schools, Local teacher only teach what they have learnt from there own village so they love it when you help them.
I dress up as santa for the salvo's & local charity. WE also sponsor events at schools & some children. We also employ workers with disability, we even have parents come in with there children just to play after school or the entire family comes in to talk english & take photo's. So bring any old clothing, books, magazines, pencil, pens anything from your country they will love it.

IMG_0495.jpg

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Pdoddy for want of a better idea and since you wish to donate here in the East I would suggest you contact the Hotel Alam Asmara that support a local Amlapura orphanage - talk to Ida Bagus the Manager there or I can take you by when you are in the area.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I can use those myself, thanks :icon_e_geek:

I always have about 4 pairs on the go an any one time - one in my shirt pocket, one on my head, one on my nose and another in my hand. I find this helps the relationships no end to then ask "dear, have you seen my glasses?!" in an accusatory tone.