What do you do for a living in Bali?

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Roy

...the Hindu traditions in Bali have nothing to do with the India of just 200 years ago, but more like a thousand years ago. Also, any basic student of Bali would understand that these Hindu traditions as introduced into Bali were not at all pure Hindu, as they were equally mixed with Buddhism from the Chinese who were trading here more than a thousand years ago...

I agree with you. I didn't say that Bali's Hindu traditions are rooted in events in India 200 years ago. Just that there is a sizable body of historical literature regarding some Hindu behaviours in India around that time (and much earlier) that some people don't like to acknowledge. I've listed a brief bibliography in my reply to truth sayer above. But please note that many of the items will be very hard to locate unless one has access to a consummate library. I can think of no such library in Bali. If you know one, I'd love to know where it is.
:)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Phil writes:

I agree with you. I didn't say that Bali's Hindu traditions are rooted in events in India 200 years ago. Just that there is a sizable body of historical literature regarding some Hindu behaviours in India around that time (and much earlier) that some people don't like to acknowledge.

And that body of literature in India, and the behaviour in India, dating some two hundred years ago had what EXACTLY to do with Bali?

NOTHING! And that was my point!

I'm sorry Phil, but nothing, absolutley nothing pisses me off, or gets me more angry than revisionist historians, especially when they spout off on the history of Java and Bali.

Sorry if I piss you or DCC off with my vehemance when you boys relay this history inaccurately. If either of you have a problem with it, then complain to the Department of Archaeology where I hold a consultant level.

While I'll be the last to say I am an expert in ancient Indonesian history, I will be among the first to say that I am a damn good student of it. And, for as long as I am able to post on this forum, I will dispell these myths that raise their ugly heads from time to time.

I will gladly offer you the forum expertise on astononmy, geography, music, and even Photo Shop, but I will run down your spine and make you silly when it comes to discussing ancient Indonesian history. And, if you care to challenge me on that, please understand that I will not be taking any prisoners. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Roy - can you give us all a break? Most people on this forum already know you are the undisputed expert on all things Balinese. From your slightly myopic vision of things from Bunotopia.

...Sorry if I piss you or DCC off with my vehemance when you boys relay this history inaccurately. If either of you have a problem with it, then complain to the Department of Archaeology where I hold a consultant level...

Hey - you're only a "consultant", right? I took you for a Professor, at least. No matter. What do you suggest we read to get even close to your level and vast knowledge? Wondering and waiting...
:lol:

UluwatuWaves

Jun 30, 2006
Norfolk, VA at the moment
You guys are funny.... We should all duke it out in Bali after drinking some arak and then see who is the Balinese Shadow Master. So, yes maybe the marijuana related to Balinese question was stupid it is just that when I was there last every where in Kuta and other places people are trying to sell it to you. I thought it may have been a cash crop for some of the locals and was wondering what Balinese authorities do when someone ( a Balinese) is caught with marijuana who may use it for medicinal or religious purposes. Do the authorities freak out and throw that person in jail for years or do they do the proper thing and allow "God's Creation" to be used for special purposes. I know how hard lined the laws are in indonesia and i know they don't mess around there, but what about locals who use? Are they so hard lined then since they know that the local may noot have as much money as the tourist from Perth. So am I correct that no balinese grow it and use it for medicinal or religious purposes because it is illegal even for those reasons....Hmmm???

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Roy - I don't think I was relaying any Bali history cause I'm know nothing there.

But I am suprised that no one caught Ulu's comment about China n Bali - what's up boys and girl?

truth sayer

Dec 10, 2005
hawaii
I have written twice now, and my posts somehow or other don't seem to go thru. Frustrating, so here goes, one more try.

I know this string was originally about what do you do for a living in Bali, and we have gotten far off the track. Not one of you have answered the question, which makes me wonder, what do you all do there except for sitting around in bars and drinking? We all know about Roy, but what about some of the other of you?

To DCC, no I am not new here, I joined last year, but don't have affordable internet or time to spare, since I live in the most expensive place in the US, Hawaii. When blaming the West for the ruination of Bali, I was narrow-minded in the fact that who could forget what the Chinese have done to Kuta. Has anyone ever noticed that just about everything in those glossy shops that line Kuta Square, is made in China? No doubt that they were the first to come in the later 70's and buy up that area of Kuta, I remember when that was the soccer field.

To Sanurian, I can't help but notice on your bibilography that every author has an English name. It is always interesting when foreigners come into a country, and then become the "experts" on a culture. Have you ever heard of the sampradaya in India, where-by only persons born into the disciplic succession are qualified to write on a particular subject, there by protecting the knowledge so that it isn't contaminated by outside views or opinions, much like what happened to the "King James" version of the bible. Knowledge is changed when unqualifed persons are allowed to voice their personal philosophies or ideas. I prefer to read information from the Vedic sampradaya.

If anyone of you has an idea as to how my half-Balinese son could make a small living in Bali, then it would be greatly appreciated. He is there now for the 1st time, and he has the distinction of being the oldest of the children born to mixed marriage Balinese from the early 70's. He is 32, and very discontented with his life in Hawaii-America. His Balinese father recently passed away, and he is very much wanting to make cnnections so that he can live among his family and ancestors. He has been raised in America with full knowledge of Bali-Hindu-Dharma.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
truthsayer

...I can't help but notice on your bibilography that every author has an English name....I prefer to read information from the Vedic sampradaya...

Yes, I know that. Did you notice that much of it was published in the 19th century? Also, I can't read Sanskrit, nor any other Indian language. So, what am I supposed to read? Can you give us some reliable references that you respect, written by Indians and translated into English?

...what do you all do there except for sitting around in bars and drinking? We all know about Roy, but what about some of the other of you?...

I am an early-retired pensioner and live off my quite reasonable Australian pension so I don't have to "work" here anymore. I was involved in some businesses both in Bali and Yogyakarta several years ago. They ranged from a VCD rental outlet, seafood supplier to restaurants/hotels in the Ubud region, a car/motorbike repair garage, buying and selling land and a computer business.

I also did freelance computer repairs for both Balinese and expats (most of the time, for free). Promoting "charitable" organisations in Bali (via the internet), was also a passion of mine for many years. My other main love has been music - I mentor some young Balinese musicians who want to play "rock" music. That includes things like buying them rehearsal studio time, showing them how to record their efforts (I've worked as a sound engineer and in recording studios in Australia), how to mix their music, guitar set-up and maintenance, etc. (I also receive royalty cheques from time to time as I'm a registered "composer" with the Australian Performing Rights Association.)

I spend some time dabbling in digital photography and try to stay abreast of advances in computing. I still trouble-shoot computers, when it suits me. What else? Oh yeah: I do spend some time sitting in bars and drinking...there's more, (much more), but I think this is enough from me for the moment.
:)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Truth sayer writes:

If anyone of you has an idea as to how my half-Balinese son could make a small living in Bali, then it would be greatly appreciated.

He could start by being Balinese, in which case, he would understand immediately that making a living is not an essential Balinese issue.

Likely you are going to challenge me to explain. Please, don't look to me for these answers...rather...ask your son.