divewench

We've been invited to a Balinese wedding (local couple-traditional ceremony) and I wondered if there is any particular colour of kebaya I shouldn't wear? I have been to wedding celebrations before in Bali but am never sure if there is a certain colour one should favour or avoid.

help!

OK, so far 90+ people have viewed my post, no responses, so I guess that I can wear any colour without offending :D

Usually white is not worn to a traditional wedding because the mangku and maybe his wife will wear white. Also not gold, as the bride will probably wear gold, so you don't want to upstage her. Any other colour is acceptable.

I forgot to add, for some Balinese weddings, the bride asks all the female guests to wear a particular colour (for uniformity, I guess).

If you know the bride or someone else attending, maybe you can ask first.

Usually white is not worn to a traditional wedding because the mangku and maybe his wife will wear white. Also not gold, as the bride will probably wear gold, so you don't want to upstage her. Any other colour is acceptable.

Ha ha ha, so the last wedding I attended where I wore white kebaya and gold sarong was a complete no-no! that's why I was asking the question, thanks Matsaleh!

Ha ha ha, so the last wedding I attended where I wore white kebaya and gold sarong was a complete no-no! that's why I was asking the question, thanks Matsaleh!
I wouldn't worry, divewench. Balinese are very accepting of westerners' faux pas. They just shake their heads and think "oh, she's bule... never mind"

hi divewench

one last color you must avoid is "Black" coz in Bali black is symbol of sadness and only used in funeral ceremony
it is not usually be worn in Balinese wedding ceremony

As it turns out the question was a good one and I've learned things I didn't know. So ... to a wedding it is best not to wear white, gold, or black. Thanks for asking again after 90 views, Divewench. I make faux pas every time I go to a ceremony or pray at a temple but I'm trying to learn.

Back