The Vegies

Oct 6, 2011
Hello
My husband and I are thinking of starting a business in Bali and need some details about how much a manager is paid. Also how much are plumbers paid? Do the Western style resorts get charged Western prices and Bali businesses the local rates? I've also posted this on another forum

Thanks
Lisa

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
depends on what he/she needs to manage? a general manager/personal manager/communications manager etcetc...and also depends if he/she is a foreigner or Indonesian...

plumbers, depends on the job that needs to be done, daily wage or wage for the job done...
does the resorts question relate to the question about plumbers? Most resorts if not all have staff for maintenance issue's.

The Vegies

Oct 6, 2011
Thanks for the reply.
The manager is an Australian woman who is married to a Balienese bloke and lives over there. She is unqualified but her organisational skills, cultural knowledge and
bi-lingual ability are valuable to us. What do resorts do if there are things that maintenance can't fix, like blocked sewer, flooding, gas leaks?

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Thanks for the reply.
The manager is an Australian woman who is married to a Balienese bloke and lives over there. She is unqualified but her organisational skills, cultural knowledge and
bi-lingual ability are valuable to us. What do resorts do if there are things that maintenance can't fix, like blocked sewer, flooding, gas leaks?

This is a very good question & needs a good answer so I will someone else give you the good answer.
But here's my answer
Blocked sewer: You tie a small Javanese man to one end of a bamboo pole & then two big Javanese men on the other end stuff him up the pipe & no more blocked sewer.
Flooding: staff get free bath.
Gas leak: You tie a little javanese man on one end of a bamboo pole & then two big Javanese men stick him inside the building, were the little Javanese man will strike a match & no more gas leak.
Now if your husband can ride a push bike, carry his tools on the back & can get his Indonesian plumber license. He can easy earn 1.5mill a month:livid:.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
I am assuming that you are looking to run a business in Indonesia while living in another country. If so it is a recipe for disaster.
Beside the obvious problems such as small Javanese men being stuck in pipes it will give you nightmares.
To employ a westerner to run your business you will have to go through the official channels to register your business and then employ her legally. This involves supplying a KITAS for her.
Most places are still on septic tanks so blocked sewer will possibly never be an issue. (no real problem)
Flooding involves turning the main water supply off. You then ring a local plumber, he comes along and puts in another pipe. (fixed with no hassle)
You will only have gas to kitchen areas and for hot water. If this happens it is a simple matter of disconnecting the gas regulator. A new regulator and flexible hose cost about 150,000 and are available nearly anywhere. (once again very easy to fix).
We have about 10 kitchens and something like 35 toilets. Very rarely do we have any great hassles.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Thanks for the reply.

if for example the sewer is blocked within the compound, still maintanance/gardener will digg up the blocked pipe and get it unblocked..
everything that can be done by inhouse staff, cheaper since they already get a monthly wage. As far as my experience goes with Balinese, there ain't such a thing as 'can't fix it'...might take a while and the method might seem peculiar to us (westerners) but they can fix just about anything.
for gas leaks, probably the company who delivers the propane tanks can help with that.
flooding? as in overflowing bathroom floor or....?

mmm, aussie women living here / married to Balinese guy / not qualified / but has skills....but no answer as to what she's managing, I am guessing a resort?
but what are her responsibilities?...besides being bi-lingual,cultural knowledge,organisational skills...what about administration/accounting/marketing..etcetc..?

The Vegies

Oct 6, 2011
Thanks Fred2

Thanks Fred2
It sounds like those three Javenese blokes have the whole industry sewn up. I imagine the exams would be pretty difficult to get an Indonesian plumbers licence. Questions like how big the bamboo pole has to be may really throw some Western plumbers.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
anywhere between 5jt and 20jt...like I said depending on responsibilities/workload and skills...
but don't forget no.idea's input, especially his first line in the comment.