Visiting Tradional Bali [Hindu] Village

MikeO

Dec 18, 2016
Hello all,
My wife and I have been invited to a fairly remote village in Bali [Hindu] to see a new baby born to a local girl and a western friend of ours.
We obviously would like to take a gift for the couple but are unsure of what sort of gift would be appropriate given the couple are now living in the village.
Can anyone advise please ?
Also, should we make a point of meeting with the Kepala Desa ? I would think it the polite thing to do.
Thanks,
Mike

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Anything really that you would give to a newborn in your own country. Usually, there is a 3-month ceremony, is that what you are being invited to?

The way you write village makes it sound like the place is remote. The reality though, there are baby stores around everywhere and Clandys, for example, is a big chain of baby stores.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Traditionally for weddings/newborns/teethfiling/ceremonies in general you should take a votive basket with 1 kilo each rice/coffee/sugar. If you also slip a envelope wtih IDR 300/k for locals or for your western friend perhaps $100 or so in it you will be fulfilling all requirements. Skip the Kepala Desa you aint in Malawi looking for a witchdoctor...

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Traditionally for weddings/newborns/teethfiling/ceremonies in general you should take a votive basket with 1 kilo each rice/coffee/sugar. If you also slip a envelope wtih IDR 300/k for locals or for your western friend perhaps $100 or so in it you will be fulfilling all requirements. Skip the Kepala Desa you aint in Malawi looking for a witchdoctor...
Markit,

I am defo a newbie with my 1 y presence, but 300k seems like a huge amount to me !

From what I have seen in the Missus village (deep jungle 40 km South of Banyuwangi) / East Java) usual presents are cooking oil / sugar / rice, and in some standarf combinations x oil for x sugar etc.. . If a red enveloppe it is maximum 50,000 (just reconfirmed with her).
300k is a huge amount of money over there if you consider a minimum salary of 800 to 1000 k (sales girl in small supermarket )
Just my 5 cents.
Cheers.

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
Usually when I go to wedding o baby ceremonies I give 300.000 rp, I am not rich but I can afford it and for them means a lot.
The things villagers are always short is money and they will know what to buy with that.
Have you been already there?

Reactions: Markit