harryopal

May 5, 2016
Good evening all,

Buying a used car anywhere is a serious buyers beware matter and I daresay buying a used car in Bali has some extras. But here's the thing. It seems that motor cycling in Indonesia is a rather hazardous occupation and more so with extra considerations for a Bule.

Late model cars are beyond budget but have in mind to look for a late 90s Suzuki. Getting to odd beach spots with a bit of clearance is a consideration and the 4 x4 , if it is working, can have advantages.

How does one check ownership to be sure we are not looking at a "liberated" car? (Stolen.)

What are the change of ownership processes like and are there roadworthy certificates required?

I would have an international licence but would like to get an Indonesia licence What are the processes with that?

And then there is insurance. Many insurance companies are eager to take your money but can be dodgy when it comes to making a claim. Any recommendations?

I usually expect that with any used car one may spend a couple of thousand on repairs in the first year or so. Hopefully not, but things happen.
A key then to running a car is finding a reliable and trustworthy mechanic or workshop.

I would be most appreciative of your thoughts on all of this. Thanks in anticipation.

Yours tropically, Harry

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
No road worthy certificates here that I know of. The ownership is recorded in what is called a 'blue book'. We use a friendly police officer to make the ownership changes and the process seems very simple.

The good thing about repairs and maintenance is that is fairly cheap. Finding a reliable mechanic in your area can be tricky. Ask for recommendations from local friends and even ask them to go to the place with you until they get to know you.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
No road worthy certificates here that I know of.

They call this certificate a KIR and this is only required by company cars including taxis, cars used for tourism, trucks, busses etc ... . Privately owned cars don't need a KIR or certificate or road worthiness.

Jamesd007

Sep 19, 2016
Purchasing used car Bali

Appreciate some info regarding topic.
My wife (Indonesian) and myself I are in the process of moving to Bali after 17 yrs in Jkt. Could someone explain the procedure of purchasing a used car here in Bali? I wanted car to be in wife's name but find out that she must have KTP with Bali address..this we don't want as she will continue to work in jkt and changing it creates all sorts of complications. My KITAS is also registers in Jkt, therefore believe same situation...I could change my KITAS to a Bali address but again will cause unwanted complications.
Any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Appreciate some info regarding topic.
My wife (Indonesian) and myself I are in the process of moving to Bali after 17 yrs in Jkt. Could someone explain the procedure of purchasing a used car here in Bali? I wanted car to be in wife's name but find out that she must have KTP with Bali address..this we don't want as she will continue to work in jkt and changing it creates all sorts of complications. My KITAS is also registers in Jkt, therefore believe same situation...I could change my KITAS to a Bali address but again will cause unwanted complications.
Any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think you've actually got any available options. The only thing I can think of is to have it registered in the name of a local.

Also, it's very common for Indonesians not to change the ownership details of cars and motorbikes because there's an extra cost involved. However, I doubt you'd then be able to get insurance on the car (most Indonesians also don't get insurance).

Because it's so common, you won't actually get penalised for not changing the ownership details, so if you can stand not having insurance it's a workable solution.

RE:Buying a second hand car.
This can be a pretty arduous process. Search this forum, this one Forums - Living In Indonesia Expat Forum and this one https://forum.expatindo.org for more advice.

Jamesd007

Sep 19, 2016
Thanks gentlemen, it appears a trip to immigration. That will be some thing to look forward to for the day!

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
For James Bond`s situation why not buy a car in Jakarta and take it to bali,I drove a Surabaya registered car in bali for 4 yrs,only had to take it back to Java to have it registered,which I think is about every 4 or 5 yrs, ,but check it out because some years ago I read that bali was going to stop what they call the import of cars from other islands into bali if they are older than so many years,not sure the number of yrs and not sure if they ever went thru with that,i thought it to be funny cause to me importing something means bringing it from another country, not from another island within the same country,but then this is Indonesia,

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
For James Bond`s situation why not buy a car in Jakarta and take it to bali,I drove a Surabaya registered car in bali for 4 yrs,only had to take it back to Java to have it registered,which I think is about every 4 or 5 yrs, ,but check it out because some years ago I read that bali was going to stop what they call the import of cars from other islands into bali if they are older than so many years,not sure the number of yrs and not sure if they ever went thru with that,i thought it to be funny cause to me importing something means bringing it from another country, not from another island within the same country,but then this is Indonesia,

I feel a bit stupid that I didn't think of that, although I have some vague memory that they were cracking down on cars not registered in Bali, but I don't know for sure and I'm not sure how you'd find out.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I would guess the crackdown is in someone's imagination. So many Javanese are now proud car owners who want to travel to Bali, that any move to restrict this domestic tourism would meet resistance IMO.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
I would guess the crackdown is in someone's imagination. So many Javanese are now proud car owners who want to travel to Bali, that any move to restrict this domestic tourism would meet resistance IMO.

Apologies. I think I was misremembering this: https://m.tempo.co/read/news/2013/11/29/055533315/Bali-New-Vehicles-Moratorium-iRegrettablei

Not sure if the moratorium is still in place (or even if it was ever actually implemented), but it shouldn't stop you from using a Jakarta registered car in Bali. But it might stop you from transferring the registration to Bali.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
So this is saying that nobody can buy any new motorized vehicle be it a car or motor cycle at all ,for 5 yrs,but people can buy used vehicles right ?which means 007 is definitely better to bring a car from Jakarta,

According to the date on the article and if it was ever implemented it should still be in place,

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
So this is saying that nobody can buy any new motorized vehicle be it a car or motor cycle at all ,for 5 yrs,but people can buy used vehicles right ?which means 007 is definitely better to bring a car from Jakarta,

According to the date on the article and if it was ever implemented it should still be in place,

Here's the relevant quote:

Bali governor Made Mangku Pastika was the one who put an end to the issuance of permits for new and used vehicles. The moratorium should remain in effect for five years to mitigate traffic congestion.

As per usual, there's never a complete and clear explanation and if you google it in Indonesian there's no mention of it after Feb 2015, where they were saying it needed more study. Pretty sure it was never implemented.

Sorry for bringing it up.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I recall what DPH is talking about and agree it isn't clear if implemented...but you need a KTP to buy a NEW car in Bali.
Anyway...there are many 'B' (Jakarta) registered cars here in Bali and I'm sure they are not just visiting.
We brought our 'B' Avanza from Jakarta when we moved to Bali about 4.5 years ago but re-registered to a 'DK' Bali car as it was troublesome getting a new registration from Jakarta.....but there are 'agents' that can get this done if required.

modelt1826

Apr 25, 2010
Wilverhampton UK
I know a person who purchased the car in Jakarta because the prices are very keen there and drove it to Bali with the B plate that was 2015 the car is still in Bali as far as i know. The reason was down to price