Tourist tax

Have I missed something?! I'm at a complete loss to understand the huge excitement on many forums/media about a stupid $10 tax. Most holidayers would pay this much on one cocktail, why the furor?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think all the fuss is about how the government will spend this tax money and less about the $10 itself. It seems people are skeptical it will be spent in a way that's beneficial for a select few rather than for the common good.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think all the fuss is about how the government will spend this tax money and less about the $10 itself. It seems people are skeptical it will be spent in a way that's beneficial for a select few rather than for the common good.
Yes, there is that but also the thought of yet more queueing and shuffling adding to travel these days that has become more and more complicated with security checks, forms to fill and other stuff.

Have I missed something?! I'm at a complete loss to understand the huge excitement on many forums/media about a stupid $10 tax. Most holidayers would pay this much on one cocktail, why the furor?

Looked at from the perspective of an individual or a couple - it's pretty inconsequential as you say, at worst death by 1000 cuts.

Considered from the point of a family (probably Oz ) wanting a beach holiday, wife and kids, it starts to load the holiday cost on top of the VOA cost per pax that wasn't previously payable when waiver was out there. It's enough to sting with righteous indignation if nothing else. Take a side trip to Gili and you get whacked again.

There are plenty of repeat visit tourists who value Bali as an affordable holiday - they are the ones taking the hit.

I don't get it? If people are allowed to leave the airport or ferry terminal without paying , how is the Government ever going to keep track of people that say they'll pay later! It seems they would get the money when a person checks in, and not let them leave without paying!

Looked at from the perspective of an individual or a couple - it's pretty inconsequential as you say, at worst death by 1000 cuts.

Considered from the point of a family (probably Oz ) wanting a beach holiday, wife and kids, it starts to load the holiday cost on top of the VOA cost per pax that wasn't previously payable when waiver was out there. It's enough to sting with righteous indignation if nothing else. Take a side trip to Gili and you get whacked again.

There are plenty of repeat visit tourists who value Bali as an affordable holiday - they are the ones taking the hit.
Another category includes individuals who must undertake a visa run every three months.

It appears that the Indonesian Immigration does not fully endorse this initiative, as they let the Bali Government to handle collections itself. They could have been collected together with the eVOA.

Additionally, there is the potential for other provincial governments in Indonesia want to do the same as it is an easy money for them. It's important to note as the funds collected go directly to the local government, rather than the central making it challenging to police it.

You have witnessed this practice in the past. A few examples include money being collected directly by state universities for admission to highly subscribed courses such as medicine, engineering. As long as the students could pay a large lump sum of money for development and an additional sum in tuition fee pa, directly to the universities, they get admission even if they did not pass the entry examination on the first attempt. Consequently, one can now witness the significant disparities in the quality of graduates, including doctors and engineers, even from the reputable state universities. Keep in mind in Indonesia the salaries of Teachers, Lecturers, professors at the state universities or schools are not funded by directly from the money collected by the universities as they are civil servants but they are paid by the taxpayers.

Last edited:
Airline travel altogether has become the death of 1000 cuts. Traveling within Europe or America is a scam altogether - travel during a holiday (any) they'll raise the rates 100% at least - a day after the hols are over and the price drops like a rock. Who are mostly injured? Families with children who probably need the holiday the most and have the least money. Heathrow now charges for pickups, that's right if you drive to the exit to pick someone up you pay. Seats are getting smaller and smaller - Easyjet wanted to make a part of the plane standing room only. Food and drink are getting worse and costing more. Basically anywhere they can add some idiotic charge they do, lets not even talk about luggage, so I'm guessing the final straw for that much belabored camel's back may be the $10 tourist charge.

I don't get it? If people are allowed to leave the airport or ferry terminal without paying , how is the Government ever going to keep track of people that say they'll pay later! It seems they would get the money when a person checks in, and not let them leave without paying!
Arrived this week:

I could not see any desk/personnel related to checking/paying tourist tax.

Nobody manning the KITAS/KITAP desk. Ended up on an all passport desk located strangely behind the automated gates (none of which worked).

Full holiday mode it seems.

My son arrived just after midnight last night. He had tried four times to use the website to pay the arrival tax but was unsuccessful. He said that upon arrival, "... thought I would do it at the airport but got ushered past the crowd and sent through the blue gates which avoided paying, so I'm sorry but I haven't contributed anything to fixing the roads or any tourist infrastructure this trip!."

According to local authorities they were going to do random checks of tourists. So what happens if he is stopped, checked and found not to have paid the tax? Does he get fined or hassled on his departing flight?

Does he get fined or hassled on his departing flight?
No worries. From what I understand check-in, security check, immigration or customs are not involved in Bali "tax" collection. I doubt Bali gov. will be allowed to hassle or fine foreigners prior check-in on departure. If the tax is changed to a nation wide tax then it could be collected via flight tickets or as an exit tax but as it is now Bali gov. have limited with options for how to enforce payment of this "tax". Something they should have anticipated before coming up with this scheme.

My son arrived just after midnight last night. He had tried four times to use the website to pay the arrival tax but was unsuccessful. He said that upon arrival, "... thought I would do it at the airport but got ushered past the crowd and sent through the blue gates which avoided paying, so I'm sorry but I haven't contributed anything to fixing the roads or any tourist infrastructure this trip!."

According to local authorities they were going to do random checks of tourists. So what happens if he is stopped, checked and found not to have paid the tax? Does he get fined or hassled on his departing flight?
1720361772980.png

This is an official statement from the Balinese authorities. How they plan to enforce it remains unclear. They have their own civilian/custom enforcers, but these individuals are not part of the Indonesian national police and lack the authority to arrest people for not paying tax or duty. It is also important to remember that immigration, Indonesian revenue, and customs are not under Balinese jurisdiction.

"So, I'm sorry but I haven't contributed anything to fixing the roads or any tourist infrastructure this trip!" Based on previous cases, I highly doubt that the majority of the funds will be used as intended. They do not provide the public with full accountability and/or statistics on how the money is spent, might be for obvious reason. In other countries they will at least provide some transparency such as statistics, regular bulletin, etc on how the money collected from the public, community have been spent.

There is also an argument that it's absurd to charge only international tourists for fixing roads or other tourist infrastructure and facilities in Bali, as these are also used by locals. Additionally, fees are already in place for certain tourist locations.

Last edited:
No worries. From what I understand check-in, security check, immigration or customs are not involved in Bali "tax" collection. I doubt Bali gov. will be allowed to hassle or fine foreigners prior check-in on departure. If the tax is changed to a nation wide tax then it could be collected via flight tickets or as an exit tax but as it is now Bali gov. have limited with options for how to enforce payment of this "tax". Something they should have anticipated before coming up with this scheme.
The main concern is ensuring that the money will be used as intended. Additionally, what will happen if other provinces start collecting money from international tourists in their regions? They have a strong incentive to do so since the money is collected directly and locally, rather than going to national revenue and customs. As long as everyone's mouth kept shut with money, there will be no motivation to expose local corrupt practices.

When we first started coming to Bali we used to have to pay an exit tax of about $20. I remember having to put aside the right amount at the beginning of the trip because you’d run your rupiah down so you didn’t go home with useless money. In those days we were getting about 4000rp to the A$ but things were of course so much cheaper. I think I’m sounding a bit old!

When we first started coming to Bali we used to have to pay an exit tax of about $20. I remember having to put aside the right amount at the beginning of the trip because you’d run your rupiah down so you didn’t go home with useless money. In those days we were getting about 4000rp to the A$ but things were of course so much cheaper. I think I’m sounding a bit old!
As far as I know, this is the first time the Balinese authority has applied this sort of international tourist tax.
The $20 'exit tax' you mentioned from a long time ago is most likely what is known in Indonesia as 'Fiskal Luar Negeri.' This tax was nationally adopted and levied at all international airports and points of departure from Indonesian territory.

'Fiskal Luar Negeri' was aimed at Indonesian taxpayers (foreign or Indonesian citizens) who did not possess an Indonesian Tax Identification Number (NPWP) at that time but reside and working in Indonesia. It was treated as an income tax for those Indonesian residents leaving the country. It could be credited at the end of the fiscal year when individuals or institutions submitted their annual tax report (SPT).

If this is the case, it is entirely different from the current local Balinese tourist taxes.

Last edited:
Just thought you who worry about this new tax and where it's come from and, possibly more important, were it's going. You see this isn't really new. They've had the same thing in Germany since the 16th century and frankly there still isn't anyone that can actually say where it goes with any certainty:

What is a tourist tax (Kurtaxe)?

The tourist tax is a spa tax in health resorts, recreational areas and seaside resorts. In many places the tax is referred to as a tourist tax; others call it a local tax. In large cities it is known as a cultural promotion tax or city tax. The tourist tax serves to preserve the environment. It is used to invest in various facilities and events that benefit tourists. It is also used to clean and maintain the holiday resort and to provide free tourist information in the town. Baden-Baden first levied the local tax in 1507. Today it is an important contribution to financing tourism activities.

It has been reported on other sites that scammers are exploiting weaknesses in the system. Currently, it is difficult for individuals to pay online through the official Balinese Authority website: https://lovebali.baliprov.go.id.

Scammers have set up a bogus website that appears legitimate and convincing, claiming to help people pay the tourist levy more quickly:

https://balitax.net

They charge a fee of $52 per tourist levy, plus the official fee of IDR 150k (?). While it doesn't make sense to pay $52 for an official fee of less than $10, some people have fallen victim. Additionally, the scammers charge an extra $33 for late payments. Could you believe that ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Although it can be argued that it is not the Balinese Authority's fault that people fall for these scams, their poorly functioning payment website contributes to the problem. There is also doubt about their commitment to protecting personal data security, including payment card information.

Tourist Levy.jpg

It has been reported on other sites that scammers are exploiting weaknesses in the system. Currently, it is difficult for individuals to pay online through the official Balinese Authority website: https://lovebali.baliprov.go.id.

Scammers have set up a bogus website that appears legitimate and convincing, claiming to help people pay the tourist levy more quickly:

https://balitax.net

They charge a fee of $52 per tourist levy, plus the official fee of IDR 150k (?). While it doesn't make sense to pay $52 for an official fee of less than $10, some people have fallen victim. Additionally, the scammers charge an extra $33 for late payments. Could you believe that ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Although it can be argued that it is not the Balinese Authority's fault that people fall for these scams, their poorly functioning payment website contributes to the problem. There is also doubt about their commitment to protecting personal data security, including payment card information.

View attachment 4124
A few years ago there was a special cyber crime group setup with an office here in Bali. It seems its real purpose was just to jump on people who made criticism of government institutions, major political figures or were blasphemous. Don't recall seeing any recent reports of activity. Surely this blatant toursist tax fraud could be addressed by the cyber crime unit and get the culprits.

S
A few years ago there was a special cyber crime group setup with an office here in Bali. It seems its real purpose was just to jump on people who made criticism of government institutions, major political figures or were blasphemous. Don't recall seeing any recent reports of activity. Surely this blatant toursist tax fraud could be addressed by the cyber crime unit and get the culprits.
Since the official site is so poorly run, maybe they should hire the cyber criminals, to create a proper official website!

Back