Tourist tax

AuroraB

All foreign tourists arriving in Bali will have to pay 150k tourist tax from Feb 14 onwards.

From what I have seen online reading the actual regulation (translated from Bahasa Indonesia, Pasal 5 (1) on page 5 in link below);
1. Foreign tourists arriving from other parts of Indonesia via land or domestic flights also have to pay the tax. Children are not exempted.
2. As the levy is collected per entry, island-hoppers who are going to nearby Lombok and Gili Islands, which lie outside of Bali province, will have to pay another 150k when they return to Bali.

https://lovebali.baliprov.go.id/gubernur/v3/BaliGovernorRegulation.pdf

I was under impression that only foreign tourists would be charged 150k, but now it appear the dragnet target is much wider: Non-tourists like KITAS/KITAP golden visa holders must apply for exemption online minimum one (1) month prior arrival as per numerous news sites.

This need to be done via LoveBali site, https://lovebali.baliprov.go.id/exception

I looked up the LoveBali site and a number of issues popped up:
1. It is stated "Understand the criteria and steps for foreign tourists to be exempted from Bali's tourist levy. This includes exemption for official duties, specific citizenship statuses, or contributions to Bali's or Indonesia's development." This is clear as mud.
2. No mention of what type of visa/permit holders that can apply for exemption apart from "golden visa". It is just mentioned "other categories" in a drop down menu.
3. No mention of deadline to submit application prior arrival. If deadline is one months that is not practical as people often travel out/in on much shorter notice and many will not even receive their visa far ahead of planned arrival date.
4. No mention of what documents shall be attached to application.
5. Exemption is one time only and valid for only one date even for KITAS/KIAP

Looks like they are putting up a lot of red tape so it will be almost impossible to be granted this exemption for golden visa and "others". With KITAS/KITAP arrival is smooth (separate queue) but if they now want expats to queue for "tourist tax" payment/exemption that could screw things up.

This is a tax that will net Bali maybe USD 50-70m/year so I was expecting a more streamlined set-up.

Post edited above: KITAS/KITAP do not need to apply for exemption to tourist tax, see post #3

Last edited:
All foreign tourists arriving in Bali will have to pay 150k tourist tax from Feb 14 onwards.

From what I have seen online reading the actual regulation (translated from Bahasa Indonesia, Pasal 5 (1) on page 5 in link below);
1. Foreign tourists arriving from other parts of Indonesia via land or domestic flights also have to pay the tax. Children are not exempted.
2. As the levy is collected per entry, island-hoppers who are going to nearby Lombok and Gili Islands, which lie outside of Bali province, will have to pay another 150k when they return to Bali.

I was under impression that only foreign tourists would be charged 150k, but now it appear the dragnet target is much wider: Non-tourists like KITAS/KITAP holders must apply for exemption online minimum one (1) month prior arrival as per numerous news sites.

This need to be done via LoveBali site, https://lovebali.baliprov.go.id/exception

I looked up the LoveBali site and a number of issues popped up:
1. It is stated "Understand the criteria and steps for foreign tourists to be exempted from Bali's tourist levy. This includes exemption for official duties, specific citizenship statuses, or contributions to Bali's or Indonesia's development." This is clear as mud.
2. No mention of what type of visa/permit holders that can apply for exemption apart from "golden visa". It is just mentioned "other categories" in a drop down menu.
3. No mention of deadline to submit application prior arrival. If deadline is one months that is not practical as people often travel out/in on much shorter notice and many will not even receive their visa far ahead of planned arrival date.
4. No mention of what documents shall be attached to application.
5. Exemption is one time only and valid for only one date even for KITAS/KIAP

Looks like they are putting up a lot of red tape so it will be almost impossible to be granted this exemption. With KITAS/KITAP arrival is smooth (separate queue) but if they now want expats to queue for "tourist tax" payment/exemption that could screw things up.

This is a tax that will net Bali maybe USD 50-70m/year so I was expecting a more streamlined set-up.
What a pain in the neck. After all the complications and finally getting through to Kitap it had been so nice on returning to Bali to go to the Kitap line immigrasi and without a long queue. To now have to go on line for exemption or queue to pay a new tax is a bugger. Tourist taxes create such a negative feeling and if people have to pay tax again each time they go somewhere else in Indonesia it will be a deterrent to local travel.

It seems Bali's charms are disappearing like waterholes in a drought. This morning going by car from Jimbaran to a place 4 ks south in Ungasan took nearly an hour. That Ungasan area now is just impossibly choked with traffic.

Jez guys! we are talking about a massive $10 here. ffs if that breaks the bank then they aught better stay with the kangoos where that will buy about a quarter of a pack of smokes?

Hell if that helps them stop the idiots up the hills throwing theyre shite in the subak waterways to grace the "beautiful" beaches a few days later then gungho!

Frankly I think the only way that will work is if they hire a few snipers to gun down the idiots at they chuck it over their walls but I'm willing to learn.

So Kitas -Kitap visa holders still have to go on line for exemption or otherwise pay the tax?
As per clarification in post #3: No action needed for KITAS/KITAP holders: Only need to show KITAS/KITAP document at checkpoint.

Maybe keep the link in post #3 at hand in the event of any issues.

Jez guys! we are talking about a massive $10 here. ffs if that breaks the bank then they aught better stay with the kangoos where that will buy about a quarter of a pack of smokes?

Hell if that helps them stop the idiots up the hills throwing theyre shite in the subak waterways to grace the "beautiful" beaches a few days later then gungho!

Frankly I think the only way that will work is if they hire a few snipers to gun down the idiots at they chuck it over their walls but I'm willing to learn.
I'm impressed by how you transitioned from advice on staying back with the "kangoos" to devising a coherent and workable plan for how to stop Bali waste problem!

For me the "massive $10" is not the issue. I have gotten used to very efficient immigration when using the KITAS/KITAP desk. Now that a new checkpoint for "tourist tax" will be set up I'm a bit worried about getting mixed in with real tourist in a a 200 meter long line. That will screw up things.

I am not in the habit of jumping on a ferry to the islands but I look at the numbers who pour through a place like Padang Bai it would seem there is potential for more queue shuffling as if there is not enough already with any travel. I recall that when the Australian government implemented a tax it was done by having airline companies just add it into the fares. I wonder about the logistics of this. Will they take cash and give change? Will people pay using credit cards?

Some of my travel highlights included travelling in Somalia. The Mogadishu airport had 10 different procedures before boarding with a different desk for each procedure. Somalis were not in the habit of queueing. What a fun place. Perhaps some Bali officials could be sent to Somalia to learn how to best really aggravate visitors.

1707743869235.png

I don't think tourists will mind paying this. AU$15 is nothing in Australia these days, but in the news they were talking about using the money to improve tourist safety. If tourists don't see an improvement in the rubbish on beaches, then there could be some backlash.

Markit’s comments were sponsored by Bintang I suspect!

I think Markit's comment was spot on! If you have seen the Balinese throw their rubbish into the streams and rivers you would understand. The people that do this don't give a damn about keeping Bali ,the rivers and ocean clean! What is it, are they stupid, or lazy, or both. And they say without tourism they would all starve! What did they do before tourism? Well then they should keep Bali clean so the tourist will like it here and want to return! This is up to the Banjars, schools, and the government to educate these people on this subject.

What a pain in the neck. After all the complications and finally getting through to Kitap it had been so nice on returning to Bali to go to the Kitap line immigrasi and without a long queue. To now have to go on line for exemption or queue to pay a new tax is a bugger. Tourist taxes create such a negative feeling and if people have to pay tax again each time they go somewhere else in Indonesia it will be a deterrent to local travel.

It seems Bali's charms are disappearing like waterholes in a drought. This morning going by car from Jimbaran to a place 4 ks south in Ungasan took nearly an hour. That Ungasan area now is just impossibly choked with traffic.
It seems to me in the west Bali area there needs to be public transportation to stop this madness of overcrowding the roads with more and more motor vehicles!

I don't think tourists will mind paying this. AU$15 is nothing in Australia these days, but in the news they were talking about using the money to improve tourist safety. If tourists don't see an improvement in the rubbish on beaches, then there could be some backlash.

Saying they would use the money to improve tourists safety, then they should create cheap public transportation, fine the local people for polluting Bali, have standard guidelines for construction enforced! I think this money will mostly go into the pockets of corrupt officials!

Markits best suggestion was that the police could fine people who polluted or dropped rubbish 100,00 and then keep the money themselves. I bet there would be a dramatic fall in polluters and some very rich policemen.

Markits best suggestion was that the police could fine people who polluted or dropped rubbish 100,00 and then keep the money themselves. I bet there would be a dramatic fall in polluters and some very rich policemen.
With advancing age my "solutions" to problems seem to become simpler and more direct. I'd give the police the first opportunity and if that didn't work bring on the snipers. Anything else is just jerking off.

My philosophy has largely been documented in a series of supposed science fiction books which are only called that to get around the sensibilities of the woke idiots that seem to be giving the tone now days. If anyone is interested in world problem solutions in a damned good read try these out Tom Kratman: https://www.goodreads.com/series/55575-carerra

I do not think the police bother with 100k these days. It was reported a few months ago that an officers is under investigation for extorting a 1.8 Milyar from an illegal mining operation in North Bali.

I'm quite confident the police will not lift a finger as "thrash" issues seems to be delegated to Satpol PP (public order police) and Desa/Banjar people.

Current law in Denpasar (at least) allow for up to 50 Juta fine or up to 6 months jail if found dumping or burning trash. Quite severe but no active enforcement. I have seen the Desa/Bajar people only once or twice in my area after I asked them to sort out rampant trash burning from upwind sites and clear trash dumped along roadside. They never seem to do any inspections or action on their own initiative.

https://baliscoop.com/bali-rubbish-law-penalties/

https://bnnbreaking.com/breaking-ne...d-extortion-attempt-by-one-of-its-detectives/

All foreign tourists arriving in Bali will have to pay 150k tourist tax from Feb 14 onwards

I was under impression that only foreign tourists would be charged 150k, but now it appear the dragnet target is much wider: Non-tourists like KITAS/KITAP holders must apply for exemption online minimum one (1) month prior arrival as per numerous news sites.
This is contradictory with the official information from FAQ from Balinese Authority
"Who should pay the levy: Every international tourist who travels to Bali and do tourist activities "

Also from article 5, paragraph (1) of Bali provincial regulation:
"(1) The Provincial Government imposes a levy on Every time foreign tourists enter Bali directly from abroad or indirectly through the region others in Indonesia."

By definition, individuals holding ITAS/ITAP are not international or foreign tourists, and thus are not the subject to paying this levy. Therefore, asking people to file up for exemption could be seen as a mockery for the Balinese government. To me it is similar to asking people who are holding MERP as part of their ITAS/ITAP to request exemption for single entry.

Another issue here is that, how can the levy be enforced for foreign tourists entering Bali on domestic routes such as Jakarta to Bali or via land and sea? While it's feasible to implement the levy alongside immigration control for international flights, the process becomes more complex for domestic travel. Will Balinese authorities need to individually check every passenger entering Bali from other parts of Indonesia at the domestic airports, seaports, and other entry points? Consider the sheer volume of domestic flights, ferry crossings from Surabaya, and speedboat journeys from Lombok each day. Furthermore, domestic travellers via land and sea will inevitably include many local Indonesian people. How many of them travel to Bali daily?

Last edited:
I am not in the habit of jumping on a ferry to the islands but I look at the numbers who pour through a place like Padang Bai it would seem there is potential for more queue shuffling as if there is not enough already with any travel. I recall that when the Australian government implemented a tax it was done by having airline companies just add it into the fares. I wonder about the logistics of this. Will they take cash and give change? Will people pay using credit cards?

Some of my travel highlights included travelling in Somalia. The Mogadishu airport had 10 different procedures before boarding with a different desk for each procedure. Somalis were not in the habit of queueing. What a fun place. Perhaps some Bali officials could be sent to Somalia to learn how to best really aggravate visitors.

View attachment 4034
The airport in mogadishu was my university of nightmare airports ,after that place every other airport seemed a breeze , ya good training in attempted thievery ,pushing , heat and mozzies with boots on ! , etc etc etc .

Bali will be very lucky is just half of the money collected from this levy will be used as intended e.g cultural and environmental preservation efforts, public services, and infrastructure. People who understand Indonesian Culture well, will understand that The money collected from the public will be treated as if their own money.

This is just in Bali alone
https://observerid.com/universitas-...ate-loss-through-university-admission-scheme/
https://bnnbreaking.com/world/indon...ined-for-corruption-campus-erupts-in-protest/

Back