Starting a wedding photography biz

ozbuckley

Aug 24, 2011
realconstipationremedies.com
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in moving to Bali and starting a wedding photography business (I already have many years experience shooting weddings) seeing that many couples travel to bali to get married.

I'll be able to just work from home (editing) and shoot weddings around the island.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there's any major roadblocks in making this become a reality in terms of permits, visas, etc. For example, I read somewhere that if a local person can do the same job then you can't get business approval from the authorities.

If anyone can help me, or point me in the right direction on where the best info is (a webpage link for example), I'm all ears :)

Thank you,
Oz

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Maybe setting up a business in Bali to do this would be possible. But you need to employ local and working yourself is going to be a problem I think. The only way I can think of is to set up a PMA company which is expensive. With a PMA you can get a work visa I think. But just coming here and working like you would do in your own country is not possible, not legally anyway.

Reactions: Fred2 and ozbuckley

ozbuckley

Aug 24, 2011
realconstipationremedies.com
Maybe setting up a business in Bali to do this would be possible. But you need to employ local and working yourself is going to be a problem I think. The only way I can think of is to set up a PMA company which is expensive. With a PMA you can get a work visa I think. But just coming here and working like you would do in your own country is not possible, not legally anyway.

Thanks for your information SamD! ...even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear ahaha :)

Im not sure if you know, but could it work if I hired another photographer to be an assistant photographer for me during the day? That way, Im working but I also am employing a local?

Thanks again for your thoughts

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks for your information SamD! ...even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear ahaha :)

Im not sure if you know, but could it work if I hired another photographer to be an assistant photographer for me during the day? That way, Im working but I also am employing a local?

Not to throw water on your evident enthusiasm but there is no way you can do this. Full Stop, so forget it. If you don't believe me as you most probably won't use the search facility here and then go to Bali Expats on Farcebook and do the same there. Read and read, then read some more - 90% you will hear is BS but the other 10 is gold.

Reactions: Fred2

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
You should also visit a Facebook page called Laws and Regulations in Indonesia. Topics like yours come up there from time to time... Anyway, you can ask in that community as well. Like the others I can't really provide any encouragement other than I have heard fourth hand of a 'professional' photographer managing to get a six month Kitas under the Entertainer/Artist category, but it seemed to be quite expensive and I'm not sure exactly what scope of work it allowed or whether this individual was straight with immigration as to what they intended to do.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak

There is no visa that would allow you to do this as far as I know. To work yourself you need a permit which means either being employed by a local company (0% chance of that) or setting up or purchasing a PMA. I think you can own a business here and employ locals without a PMA but you wouldn't be allowed to work yourself.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Unfortunately it is very expensive and complicated to set up a small business in Indonesia now. If you are married to an Indonesian it could be possible, but even that is a bit of a gray area.

Rather than having clients in Indonesia, maybe you could set up a website and sell images online.

Rorystewart

Dec 3, 2019
Hi Everyone!
Nowadays it is very expensive to set arrangments for weddings and most people like to go out of town to celebrate their wedding functions. Bali is one of the beautiful places for these kinds of purposes like function, get-together, etc. One of my friends also set the arrangments in Bali for his wedding function and I'm also invited there. I actually have professional experience in the field of Aluminium Windows and Doors and works in Mir Windows. But I have a fondness of making arrangments on the functions so I decorated that place at his wedding that gave the good feel in whole function and my friend was really happy about that.

kellysmall1

Oct 28, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in moving to Bali and starting a wedding photography business (I already have many years experience shooting weddings) seeing that many couples travel to bali to get married.

I'll be able to just work from home (editing) and shoot weddings around the island.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there's any major roadblocks in making this become a reality in terms of permits, visas, etc. For example, I read somewhere that if a local person can do the same job then you can't get business approval from the authorities.

If anyone can help me, or point me in the right direction on where the best info is (a webpage link for example), I'm all ears :)

Thank you,
Oz
Hey Oz!

Did you ever pursue this route?