Something New on the Medical Side

Chris A

Jun 16, 2021
Foreign Docs

My family's and my experience w/ medical services in Bali has been very positive. We moved to the North in mid-2021 at the height of the scamdemic with an eight month old child and had occasion to visit at least 3 hospitals in Singaraja for his care along with our care. We've been away for about a year and have recently moved to the South (not the real Bali) for our son to attend an international school and have visited a sister hospital of one of the ones we frequented in the North and overall were satisfied with the experience and the care received from the ENT.

So here we are a bit outside of Sanur with Bali International Hospital getting ready to open with little information other than it's being touted to attract medical tourism and perhaps curb some of the tendency for Indonesians of means to travel to Singapore or Bangkok. We are coming from 9 months in Bangkok and at this time will be traveling back to Bangkok for routine medical check ups and heaven forbid, any major issues that might arise. Bumrungrad Hospital should be used as the gold standard for which the new hospital should aspire to be.

I'm hopeful that the new international hospital will bring in some foreign docs to at least change some perceptions and to provide the illusion that the services being provided are a step above.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Have you tried the BPSJ health care for normal mortals/Indonesians or is that not available to you? I and the missus found it good enough for the simple stuff and for the tough love we, luckily, have not had the need ... yet.

Reactions: tel522

Chris A

Jun 16, 2021
Have you tried the BPSJ health care for normal mortals/Indonesians or is that not available to you? I and the missus found it good enough for the simple stuff and for the tough love we, luckily, have not had the need ... yet.
Eligible, but haven't gotten around to signing up for it. I suppose I'll put it on the long list of things that I need to do. Where do you start the process? Thanks for the feedback.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Bumrungrad Hospital should be used as the gold standard for which the new hospital should aspire to be.
Fully agree ! It's the o.e we used in a previous life when I lived in BKK (1989 / 1990)
My two first kids were born there.
But you better have a good credit card or insurance because they ain't cheap !

Reactions: Shadrach

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
T
Fully agree ! It's the o.e we used in a previous life when I lived in BKK (1989 / 1990)
My two first kids were born there.
But you better have a good credit card or insurance because they ain't cheap !
To think a hospital with the same standards, as you suggested is a pipedream! I'm sorry to sound negative, but from what I've seen, the level of training and qualification, here is far and few between. It's like hoping the cooking and preparation of food here, would be as delicious as Thai cooking! But hey, miracles have been known to happen!

Reactions: Rellek

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
To think a hospital with the same standards, as you suggested is a pipedream! I'm sorry to sound negative, but from what I've seen, the level of training and qualification, here is far and few between.
That's exactly the same thing we said early 90's when Bumrungrad opened....

So, let's see.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
That's exactly the same thing we said early 90's when Bumrungrad opened....

So, let's see.
They're trying to make it as 'Western' as possible with going so far as to waive many of the visa regulations for medical staff from afar to come and play here.

They are upfront about it not being for scum like us and the 300 million normal Indonesians, just the top 1%.

Personally I hope they are implicated in the deaths of thousands.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Eligible, but haven't gotten around to signing up for it. I suppose I'll put it on the long list of things that I need to do. Where do you start the process? Thanks for the feedback.
do a search for it here. I put a full description on the forum a while ago.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
They are upfront about it not being for scum like us and the 300 million normal Indonesians, just the top 1%.

Personally I hope they are implicated in the deaths of thousands.
You will understand that i COMPLETELY DISAPROVE tthis type of comment.

And thee last sentence is absolutely uncalled for. Shame on you !

Or are you simply jalous ?

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
I

I don't know about who will be eligible to go to this new hospital, but if you are right, then, that would be a shame! I agree, the last sentence was too harsh. I can only hope, it will be open to all, and have professional staff, and Doctor's. Also I wish the damn BPJS would pay for quality services, and medicines! I just went to a doctor and had to pay cash, for his service, because BPJS was too cheap to pay! This is an outrage, that I pay the top fee bracket and only get mediocre service! In America, if a person qualifies for Government insurance, ( Medicaid) then they pay for all. The Hospital stay, Doctors, and medicine required! Why doesn't BPJS do this?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

Pray tell, why? You find nothing reprehensible in building an elite hospital based on appealing to the richest members of society by offering a service that the other 99% can't hope to be eligible for.

There are thousands, possibly millions, of people in Indonesia suffering and dying from easily curable diseases needlessly if only there was just enough money or trained personnel to treat them AND these personnel and monies are going to build a stupid show-case hospital primarily for titty surgery and nose jobs for Ozzies.

Reactions: Dori and Shadrach

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I
Pray tell, why? You find nothing reprehensible in building an elite hospital based on appealing to the richest members of society by offering a service that the other 99% can't hope to be eligible for.

There are thousands, possibly millions, of people in Indonesia suffering and dying from easily curable diseases needlessly if only there was just enough money or trained personnel to treat them AND these personnel and monies are going to build a stupid show-case hospital primarily for titty surgery and nose jobs for Ozzies.
indeed, I have absolutely no problem with that.

It is none of my business how they rule and organize their country ! As simple as that.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021

I must admit, if what you say about this new hospital only going to serve the rich, and elite, then I agree, that is not fair to to the millions of other people, needing more quality care. Including foreigners, who are not rich, and live on a budget.
Quality health care, and education for the youth, should the number 1 priority for any nation!

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I must admit, if what you say about this new hospital only going to serve the rich, and elite, then I agree, that is not fair to to the millions of other people, needing more quality care. Including foreigners, who are not rich, and live on a budget.
Quality health care, and education for the youth, should the number 1 priority for any nation!
What about quality health care for the poor and the minorities in the US ?

Not so brilliant, and when Obama tried to instaure Obamacare EVERYBODY did everything they could to block it.
So, please, broom in front of your door first before criticizing other countries.
France has a brilliant health care system for the same rule for everybody. But this and pensions are the biggest expenses for the goverrnment.
The NHS in the UK used to be brilliant, not so much anymore nowadays.....

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
What about quality health care for the poor and the minorities in the US ?

Not so brilliant, and when Obama tried to instaure Obamacare EVERYBODY did everything they could to block it.
So, please, broom in front of your door first before criticizing other countries.
France has a brilliant health care system for the same rule for everybody. But this and pensions are the biggest expenses for the goverrnment.
The NHS in the UK used to be brilliant, not so much anymore nowadays.....
I know Obama tried to pass health care for all, but for some reason, people opposed it. I' m not criticizing other countries, you should read what I said more carefully. I said quality health care, and education, should be available for all at a reasonable price.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I

indeed, I have absolutely no problem with that.

It is none of my business how they rule and organize their country ! As simple as that.
Hmmmm?

If you are so ambivalent about the whole "titty and nose" hospital thing then why do you get so incensed about my objection to it?

"You will understand that i COMPLETELY DISAPROVE tthis type of comment.

And thee last sentence is absolutely uncalled for. Shame on you !"

Unless maybe you've already booked the nose job for yourself and titties for someone close to you?

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023
No country is made up of a monolithic block of people who make the decisions. The notion that everything should be perfect in your own country before you can be critical of conditions in another is neither realistic nor consistent with history. Campaigning whether it be for human rights, health care or on environmental issues for example are universal concerns. International support for people living in a state of hostility from national or regional governments is often of great importance in pressuring governments and enabling the morale of people whose very lives may be at risk protesting.

Should there be no criticism of China or Russia for imprisoning people without a proper process of law because there are legal grievances in our own country? Should Saudi Arabia or the Arab Emirates be immune from criticism for their despicable treatment of migrant workers because there are often issues of improper work conditions in our home countries?

Last edited:

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Ver
No country is made up of a monolithic block of people who make the decisions. The notion that everything should be perfect in your own country before you can be critical of conditions in another is neither realistic or consistent with history. Campaigning whether it be for human rights, health care or on environmental issues for example are universal concerns. International support for people living in a state of hostility from national or regional governments is often of great importance in pressuring governments and enabling the morale of people whose very lives may be at risk protesting.

Should there be no criticism of China or Russia for imprisoning people without a proper process of law because there are legal grievances in our own country? Should Saudi Arabia or the Arab Emirates be immune from criticism for their despicable treatment of migrant workers because there are often issues of improper work conditions in our home countries?
Very well put Harryopal! After reading that comment about criticizing other countries, and not your own, was in my opinion, not necessary, and not at all what I was getting at. What I said about health care and education, is a world wide subject, that goes beyond borders!
There is enough money in the world to do this, while in the mean time, so many people, especially innocent children, suffer, because of greedy and power hungry people, that don't give a damn about anyone, except the other people just like them.
I watched a video about two guys traveling across Madagascar, and how the humans living there, have almost completely destroyed 90% of the forest, for their needs. As they traveled on the train, every stop was flooded with dirty, hungry, begging children. It seems, there would be some way, to teach these people about birth control, healthcare, and educate the youth, about the need to keep the forest alive, and intact.
Like Sulawesi, there are animals that only come from there, and should be protected, so they don't go extinct!
Remember the Dodo bird, passenger pigeon,Tasmanian tiger, etc. all gone due to humans!
It's said, humans are so intelligent, but just look at what has been done, and it seems that assumption is false!

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Ver

Very well put Harryopal! After reading that comment about criticizing other countries, and not your own, was in my opinion, not necessary, and not at all what I was getting at. What I said about health care and education, is a world wide subject, that goes beyond borders!
There is enough money in the world to do this, while in the mean time, so many people, especially innocent children, suffer, because of greedy and power hungry people, that don't give a damn about anyone, except the other people just like them.
I watched a video about two guys traveling across Madagascar, and how the humans living there, have almost completely destroyed 90% of the forest, for their needs. As they traveled on the train, every stop was flooded with dirty, hungry, begging children. It seems, there would be some way, to teach these people about birth control, healthcare, and educate the youth, about the need to keep the forest alive, and intact.
Like Sulawesi, there are animals that only come from there, and should be protected, so they don't go extinct!
Remember the Dodo bird, passenger pigeon,Tasmanian tiger, etc. all gone due to humans!
It's said, humans are so intelligent, but just look at what has been done, and it seems that assumption is false!
That's a lot of dreaming my man....

Having travelled the world I have learned to be cynical about human beings

Sad, but a fact.