Small bar/restaurant

higHTea

Jan 16, 2019
Hello everyone,

I’m looking for as much advice as possible and any contact details of a notary and lawyer who are 100% legitimate and don’t have any intentions of ripping me off!! I want to open a small restaurant in ubud where I’ll be renting a location for 30 years opening a foreign investment property deal, so I’m bullet proof from corrupt police and any foul play. Please help me with contacts or any information that will help me make solid business decisions..

Thanks
Dan Eaton

Attachments

• 05B19389-9272-4514-BF8A-B9B2F5D5269B.jpeg
    05B19389-9272-4514-BF8A-B9B2F5D5269B.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 8

higHTea

Jan 16, 2019
Why the weak attempt at humour? I think I know why. With a response like that I presume you should stop taking yours and lay off the magic m’s!!

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Markit tends to be a little on the terse side but the thrust of what he is suggesting is that your aspiration to be " bullet proof from corrupt police and any foul play" is rather more than a little hopeful. If you explore threads on this and the expat forum to do with notaries, law , lawyers and setting up a business it becomes apparent that it can be a perilous journey fraught with scammers and opportunists, not to mention rather complicated. That said, there are many expats operating and running businesses here. A lot of research, some helpful responses and good luck may enable you to achieve the wanted outcome.

Reactions: tel522

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Maybe you could tell us what knowledge and experience you have of Bali. That might give members a better idea of how to pitch their response. Are you doing this alone or with a local partner? Setting up a business like that from scratch here in Bali will take a lot of intestinal fortitude. I know people who have done it so it is not impossible. Having the legal side in place is good but you will need to arrange the "local infrastructure" as well which may prove more challenging.

Good luck.

higHTea

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks for the info, bullet proof is a figure of speech, I didn’t mean it literally as I know Bali’s not that dangerous!! Yes I can imagine, such a shame hey. I am doing this with a local who owns the place. I’ve been to bali over 20 times, speak Bahasah quite well but far from fluent. I’ve new friends there with businesses so I’ll be talking to them too, but still seek as much advice as possible. Any recommendations for notaries and lawyers though? And excess business advice?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Have had experiences in the area you are considering and will warn about considering any notaris in Teges. Can't elaborate as it is private information which is not permitted on this forum till you reach 20 posts as a member.

higHTea

Jan 16, 2019
20 posts, that’s a gila rule, are you happy to elaborate over the phone? I always presume the worst! Especially with the experience I’ve had with getting ripped off my many locals!

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Ok, I can understand your frustration and will just make a suggestion. Go to another part of Bali to visit then find a bar and start counting the number of licenses framed on the wall. That will give you some indication of all the people who will be climbing in bed with you financially once you attempt to open a bar/restaurant.
If there is an opportunity to become acquainted with that owner by all means do so. He will realize that you aren't a potential competitor as you are removed from his area, and hopefully open up.
Next as you may realize a notaris is considered to be licensed by the government and not a counselor such as a lawyer. So therefore theoretically a neutral in documentations dealing with real estate. That as many have learned isn't always the way things work out. So in those dealings do your homework and make sure you select the notaris. I can recommend one in Sanggingan who is on the opposite side of the street from Naughty Nuri and further away as you approach Kadewatan. Don't have his card, but he is recommended, and will talk straight with you before you engage in negotiations. With all those dealing have everything translated into English that you thoroughly understand. Every page of every document must have the notaris stamp.
I don't wish to discourage you and seem negative. These things are feasible we both realize, but it takes care, planning, patience and if possible getting advice from people who have done what you are attempting. If you can affiliate with those successfully engaged in business here bust your sweet ass to get acquainted especially with own countrymen, ask questions, take notes and listen.
Good luck!

Reactions: tel522

balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
Also, if you look on the date from the post, it is 2010. I don't think that restriction applies any longer as we do a pretty good job of checking every new account for spammers.

Reactions: matsaleh

higHTea

Jan 16, 2019
Ok, I can understand your frustration and will just make a suggestion. Go to another part of Bali to visit then find a bar and start counting the number of licenses framed on the wall. That will give you some indication of all the people who will be climbing in bed with you financially once you attempt to open a bar/restaurant.
If there is an opportunity to become acquainted with that owner by all means do so. He will realize that you aren't a potential competitor as you are removed from his area, and hopefully open up.
Next as you may realize a notaris is considered to be licensed by the government and not a counselor such as a lawyer. So therefore theoretically a neutral in documentations dealing with real estate. That as many have learned isn't always the way things work out. So in those dealings do your homework and make sure you select the notaris. I can recommend one in Sanggingan who is on the opposite side of the street from Naughty Nuri and further away as you approach Kadewatan. Don't have his card, but he is recommended, and will talk straight with you before you engage in negotiations. With all those dealing have everything translated into English that you thoroughly understand. Every page of every document must have the notaris stamp.
I don't wish to discourage you and seem negative. These things are feasible we both realize, but it takes care, planning, patience and if possible getting advice from people who have done what you are attempting. If you can affiliate with those successfully engaged in business here bust your sweet ass to get acquainted especially with own countrymen, ask questions, take notes and listen.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for your all your wise words, I’ll be going to bali 1-2 week of February to assess the location and meet some notaris. Is samggingan close to ubud? Fully expect this to be a difficult process, if your free to meet up for a f2f chat then that would be great too. I’ll stay optimistic but cautious as bamby on ice should have been!! Makasi

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Sanggingan is part of Ubud after you pass the Bintang super market. Will try to get the name of the notaris.
The old rule required 20 posts. I have been corrected as you may see, and now only 10.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
The name of the notaris previously mentioned is I Nengah Renaya and he has moved a bit further west from his previous location. You can google it and locate him.
Realize that no one can ever make guarantees in these situations, but I found him to be straight forward, open and reasonable in my dealings. It is best to have your documents available for him to examine first.
Good luck.