Single Mum of 2 wants ideas of where to look to live in Bali

charli

My Hubby will be doing Fly in Fly out work from Perth every 3 weeks, so most of the time I will be in Bali with just me and my two beautiful children, 18 months & 3 yrs. We are wanting a change of lifestyle and have chosen Bali. I would love to know where the good places to live are that are safe, good for familes and with an Expat support community, ideally. Last time I was in Bali was 8 yrs ago!! Any thoughts?

Charli, if you think you'll be in Bali permanently or for several years you'll want to be thinking about where your children will go to school. I haven't had kids in schools in Bali but most of the international schools are in the south. Look up the Green School. My daughter would love, if she could afford it, to move to Bali and one of her motivations is sending her children to the Green School.

Hi & Thanks Pollyanna. yes I have heard of the Green School, sounds wonderful. We plan on being there for two years and come home to Perth before kids start school. So we don't really need to be near schools initially. So I would love some feedback on actual names of places to check out in Bali that are children/ expat friendly...

hi charli

i am living in bali since 2 years with my 3 year old.

my area is petitenget ( seminyak)and kerobokan, choosen because its close from my working place.

sanur in the south has a nice beach( where children can swim and you can walk alsongside the beach, streets have sidewalks) and a nice and children frienldy expat comunity.

also house rental costs are still affordable there which i can't tell the same for my areal here.....

Seminyak and Petitenget is more busy though, more restaurants, tourists and lifestyle venues.
some say sanur is little bit boring but i don't think so.

i think it depends what you prefer, there are some areas around semicyak and kerobokan which are lovely too( umalas for example( expensive) OR CANGGU( affordable) but the beach is not that good for children.

recommend you get a nanny and a housemaid to support you,both approx. 100 us a monthe each, nanny more if you want a real good one, i got mine from bensbali, a agency.

good luck and all the best, maybe see you around some kids spots.

I guess with the increasing number of expats in Bali, there will be a good sign that after a few years a more decent international school could be established near those areas.

James, sorry I can't msg privately as I have to have posted 10 times to do so, so hope you don't mind me posting my reply...

That would have been perfect if available January next year. I am due to have my second baby in May 2010, so want to leave Januray 2011. Would you be keen on emailing me pics of the place so I can get a an idea of what's available in that area, as Sanur is sounding good so far, and 30 million rupiah a year sounds really cheap! Totally undestand if you are only keen to communicate if we can move in May, but you never know, if all works out well with new baby, and you want to leave for the states a little later we could have a deal.

warm regards

Charli

Leandra

Thanks for the friendly info. I love this forum! I like the idea of Sanur at this point, but of course will do some ground work when we come for a research trip in August. Good luck to you too. Hope you don't mind if I track you down later for some more advise.

Charli :)

Charli,

Good to hear back from you. I am pretty much set on leaving in May. But best of luck with your search. My advice is to talk to as many locals as possible about housing. That's how I found my place. Many times, they even offer to find one for you when they aren't working. And congratulations on the new baby as well!

Hello Skunksounds,

I think maybe you have a house for rent from May?
I am looking for somewhere reasonably priced for a year?
Do you still have anything available?

tHANKS

I have a small western style house available to rent over contract. In the Gelogor Carik area (the road that runs behind Carrefour on Sunset Road). 2 bedrooms with A/C, Lounge/dining very small kitchen & large bathroom, large laundry. Hot water. Very secure house with parking for car & motor bikes. Great location with easy access. Available from end of April. [email protected] ph 081558888665.

Back