Selling on Line In Bali

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Anyway, one can agree to disagree but to become rude is not necessary.[
/quote]

In my over 1000 posts Judy I challenge you to find one post where I have been rude to anyone. In Roy's 3000+ posts I can find you at least 10%.

Roy is pedantic and often right but on those occasions when he is wrong he like anyone else is told. That is not rude it is just a fact. Look at how many times Roy tells others they are wrong and has he will himself say "I do not suffer fools gladly". Believe me he hands out a lot worse than he gets and is perfectly capable of looking after himself.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Of course, one should always “consider the source” and the credibility of that source when being told “they are wrong.” :!:

Thanks for your comments Judy and Milan! Cheers!

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
The newby's must have thier heads spinning,,Welcome to Bali guys! Lets face it nothing is really 100% right here, its based on who you know and what are you willing to pay,,, Even if you do have "correct' documentation , im sure if you piss off the right person you could be deported or worse, if you do not have local suport and representation,,, Sorta right?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
In an attempt to control the “head spinning” a bit, let me reiterate that in one of the offices at the head immigration office in Denpasar, there is board which tracks deportations from Bali, and the reason for the deportation.

IMHO, experience, and in discussions with others including several consuls representing various foreign governments here in Bali, most all deportations are for very good reasons, and often enough, when visa violations are cited as the reason, it is only because there wasn’t enough proof to arrest and charge the deported “undesirable” for the “real reason” they were booted out. Those other reasons can and often do include well founded suspicions of drug use, prostitution, and pedophilia.

None of what I just wrote should be interpreted as meaning that immigration cannot, or will not, boot someone out solely for a visa violation, as they can, and have, but generally ONLY after the person has been called in for an interview and warned to change their visa in order to comply with their actual activity on Bali.

But yes, it is “sorta right” that it can sometimes add up to who you know just as much as what you know, and longevity counts, meaning the longer one has lived in Bali adds to one’s credibility.

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
Hi all

Selling on-line in Bali

Reference to your post regarding Business Visa and Kitas ( 11 May 2008)

Sorry a bit late posting.

If you apply for Business Visa you can only be a Business Consultant or looking for business opportunities and not allow to work for yourself or anyone else let alone having a salary.

If you like to work in Indonesia, any kind of work and get pay for it, YOU MUST HAVE A KITAS, no other way available.

If you’re willing to pay extra, you can get what you want, not all the times.
They can change their mind and screw you and you can’t do anything about it.

Be very, very, very careful

L.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Reference to your post regarding Business Visa and Kitas ( 11 May 2008)

Whose post? Both Jimbo, Bert and myself posted that day.

And, if I may ask a few more questions...A) where did you get your business visa expertise, and B) who the hell are you?

I guess, given the gist of your post, that perhaps you were “screwed.” If so, tell your story...with anonymity of course, but PLEASE...let’s get off the “Be very, very, very careful” red flag.

You come on here as brand new, and cry “wolf” and personally, I take it as just that...crying wolf!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I’m not having “a go” either Jimbo...honestly, but I am thinking about three more realistic and truthful things you can count on in life:

<YOU CAN ALSO COUNT ON MODERATORS DELETING PERSONAL ATTTACKS>

Play the Ball, not the man

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
lumumba said:
If you like to work in Indonesia, any kind of work and get pay for it, YOU MUST HAVE A KITAS, no other way available.

Correct.

If however, you work online ONLY and not get paid IN Indonesia, there is little to do about that.

But you would be eligible for tax in the country where you receive the money.

Still, I guess there are grey areas, and "some" may "understand", and some not.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Those were NOT personal attacks Bert! :evil: Rather, that was a listing of facts as Jimbo has expressed himself at various points on this forum.

If you want to state, "Play the ball, and not the man" then remove Jimbo's comment:

3. Roy biting on the hook :D

Here is what I wrote again:

I’m not having “a go” either Jimbo...honestly, but I am thinking about three more realistic and truthful things you can count on in life:

<YOU CAN ALSO COUNT ON MODERATORS DELETING PERSONAL ATTTACKS>

I take Jimbo's remark as a joke, and even a funny one, and you should.

And now DIAM, if you have anything to say to me, do it by PM. Further public remarks about moderation will be deleted.

For you, and anyone else, there is a "REPORT" button on every post.

If you insist on moderation, then at least be consistent Bert!

<CONSISTENT ENOUGH?>

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
If you want to edit or moderate my posts, please at least have the common decency to do it under your own name and avatar...and NOT mine, please!

Adding your own message to one I’ve written is not moderation...it’s rather something else, and it stinks.

The bottom line is pretty simple Bert. If I don’t take a comment as being humorous, then I should be able to respond in the manner I chose. It’s not YOUR job to determine what I think is funny, or not.

There was nothing personal in what I wrote, and you know it. If you want to ban me again...then fine, but I won’t abdicate myself to your predisposed ideas of what is accepted or not accepted in what I say.

And NO, I will not send this by PM anymore than you sent your last comment to me by PM:

<CONSISTENT ENOUGH?>

I have no problem being public with what I have to say.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
If you try to discredit people just because they don't live here etc, your usual stuff, you make it personal.

II don't tell you what to consider funny, I wouldn't dare.

Play the ball, not the man, that's all.

BALIHI

Aug 3, 2008
Some one I know does a little side exporting from Bali . Small stuff , Its shipped off the island as stuff for his house in the US , decorations , if anyone asks . Been doing it for years . My question again is , who could police internet based selling on Bali ?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
The Cyber Crimes division of Polda becomes more and more sophisticated each year, although their main mission is to keep an eye out for illegal activities...money laundering, terrorism, drugs, etc. and not as arm of Immigration to monitor expat activities.

It is a reasonable assumption that if the internet activities of an expat are being monitored by the Cyber Crimes division of Polda, the high likelihood is that there is a strong suspicion of something far more serious going on than a mere potential visa violation.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Last time I spoke with them, I asked the head of the cybercrime division about what their main activitiy was. He looked at me, then looked up and sighed "foreigners".... :p

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
Correct.

If however, you work online ONLY and not get paid IN Indonesia, there is little to do about that.

But you would be eligible for tax in the country where you receive the money.

Still, I guess there are grey areas, and "some" may "understand", and some not.

Old posts are fantastic. I was looking for this.
Just checking: so if you work online in Indonesia for a company not based in Indonesia (not selling & shipping but e.g. marketing or customer service) then everything is ok?