Selling on Line In Bali

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Phil, are you having problems with remedial reading, AGAIN? :shock:

“Your quotes from Fragomen's website don't show me that one can "work" on a Business Visa.”

Where on earth did I write that it said one can “work” on a business visa? What I did write was,

“These are among the many business related activities allowable under a business visa.”

Phil, maybe I live a “charmed life” because I do my homework and apply what I have learned to the enjoyment of my life and that of my family while living here in Bali. Maybe you could do with a little of that knowledge yourself?

Not that it is any of your business, but since you asked, yes, the Mood Studio in Ubud is under the ownership of my family...period. Was that important for you to know?

If immigration wanted me on a kitas, don’t you think they would come out and say so? Maybe it’s just too hard for you and Jimbo to understand, let alone accept, that in their opinion my business related activities are allowable under a business visa? And just what on earth makes you and Jimbo experts on this topic anyway?

“...and I hope you can keep avoiding arrest, or worse.”

Phil, your melodrama is outstanding, but I suggest you don’t hold your breath while waiting for that which will never happen.

Get some sleep Phil. You sound like you need it badly.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
...Where on earth did I write that it said one can “work” on a business visa?...
It's like this, Amigo. You've been bragging here for years about how long you've been living in Bali as "a chosen one". Now you tell everybody you're on your 16th(?) Business Visa. Are we to deduce from that that you're somehow "retired" and/or "not working"? It doesn't add up.

It seems to me that you've clearly been "working" on a Business Visa for years, by your own admissions in the past. Good luck on "getting away with it" for so long!

You can froth at the mouth all you want, disparage me, etc. Many people on this forum already know what to expect from you when you perceive yourself as being "cornered", or, perish the thought, that you might be "wrong". At least just once, in your charmed life...

:shock:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Phil, what the dickens does it take to get through to you??!!

I haven’t been “working” while on a business visa, but rather purchasing and exporting out of Indonesia via the internet...PERIOD...AND, this is an allowable business activity under a business visa...PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

You can deny that all you want...I DON’T GIVE A RAT’S PITUEY!

Please don’t try to shove down my throat your ignorance of what a business visa entails or covers for allowable business activity! If you are unclear about what I have “said” regarding this, then read the string again, as I’m tired of talking to a stone wall and having to repeat myself.

I’m not the one being corned on this string...rather it is obvious that neither you or Jimbo has ANY idea what you are talking about regarding allowable business activity under a business visa, and THAT is painfully clear!

I say once more...GOOD GRIEF...and get over it! You and Jimbo are wrong, and that’s it. Where you are both wrong is your insistence that any amount of business activity, (which you call “work”) requires a work permit...kitas. THAT is simply NOT true!

AND, let’s cut the condescending BS, like,

“You've been bragging here for years about how long you've been living in Bali as "a chosen one.”

If that is what you think, then tough! I’m not about to make any excuses or apologies for my life here in Bali these past years.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
If we leave out the personal stuff, this discussion may lead to something useful.

Of course there can be grey areas in the visa area, and its also true that visa (mis) use is not always checked thoroughly. It also seems there is some wishful interpretation of regulations going on here and there. This is fine as long as it "works". But sometimes it stops working.... Not too long ago I read something on Bali Discovery about expats who thought to be safe with a PMA construction for owning property, but were told that a PMA was for doing business, not for just owning a house...

I believe that the officials in Bali can be forgiving, and give time to correct things however.. Regularly PT's (or CV's) that have given foreigners a work permit are visited, and I know of at least one PT in the North where some irregularities were found, and they were given time to correct things.

I hope Roy, that you agree that the business visa like you have, is for visitors, rather than residents. You are not allowed to open bank accounts, have a drivers license etc.

The visitor visa, like the social visa and the business visa, are of course (mis)used by people under 55 who want to stay longer than the tourist period of time in Bali, no need to be political correct. In many cases this is not a problem, but it can be, that a lot of consequent visa raises some eyebrows. I know of one forum member who was denied access to Bali because of this, and he had to back to Singapore, where he just had got his x'd social visa. The business visa and social visa are of the same nature. Its for visiting, not for staying.

If your business is purely online, no (financial) transactions in Indonesia because of this, and you can live without a bank here, who can ever say you "work" in Indonesia? But, if your online business involves financial transaction, receiving and sending stuff, in Indonesia, its not online only anymore I would say, even if there are locals doing the actual "groundwork".

If you have or are employed by a foreign company, the financials are handled there, your salary is paid abroad, you are invited by an Indonesian company, yes, than you may get away with a x number of consequent 6 months visits. But even then I can imagine that immigration officials at one time may say "hee you have been here for 5 (or so) years, this is living in Indonesia, not business visiting anymore"...

Unfortunately the Indonesian government doesn't actively inform foreigners AFAIK, and therefore allowing for grey areas, at least in interpretation... and possibly execution as well.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
I have personally heard and read about scenarios like Bert mentions. Even cases where quite large amounts of money were involved, "legal" business operations set up, and people shafted.

Doing or having the "correct" paperwork in this country is not always set in stone.

One last comment for Roy, because I know he's seething at having his interpretation of things questioned and will, for sure, come back with both guns blazing...

I said "cornered", not "corned".

For US$300,000, what is the simple past tense of "drink"?
(No looking in your dictionary for the answer.)

Sorry...couldn't help myself. I don't like aspersions cast upon my "reading ability". My degrees aren't from some American McDonald's University.

OK, folks! Let's see some sparks fly...

:evil:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Passing right over your post Phil, which is purely intended for unnecessary “pot stirring” I couldn’t agree with Bert’s post more. Neither the sosbud, or business visa are intended for long term residency, although they often end up being used that way until eventually one is told, “it’s time to change your visa.”

I also have known expats in the past who no longer can operate with either of those visas, but the ones who were told to leave Bali were told this because their activities on Bali were not allowable activities under their visa...i.e. working while under sosbud or business visas when a kitas was clearly called for. One expat couple in particular, from Australia, continued to operate a restaurant and give surfing lessons while only on a sosbud visa. Their business operations were very public, and after refusing to comply (after being warned), by changing their visa to a kitas, were finally told to leave Bali.

On the other hand, I haven’t ever heard of anyone, who after years of sosbud or business visa use, but complying to allowable activity under that visa, being told to leave Bali unless they ignored the request of immigration to change their visa to one which is intended for long term residency. Such requests will be noted in the expat’s file at the immigration office, and they should not be ignored if they are made.

In other words, it is the violation of accepted activity under a particular visa that seems to most upsets immigration. This is evident in the fact that various Indonesian embassies will continue to issue new sosbud and business visas even when it is clearly evident (past visas in the passport, and without any trips to their home country) that one may have had years of past sosbud or business visas issued to them...AND, that those 60 days visas get renewed, over and over again to total 6 months by immigration here in Bali.

In the case of the OP, Balilover, I was clearly addressing my comments to his/her question,

“I understand I am not able to work in bali, but would I be able to buy and then sell online from bali????”

While he or she may well intend to live in Bali, there is no reason, given the business activity as briefly described, to necessarily start right off with a kitas visa. In other words, the business activity described does not require a kitas, as that activity is allowable under a business visa.

It would make perfect sense in the case of the OP to start off with a business visa, and then later, down the road, once committed to actually living in Bali to change over to a kitas. As I said before, going up the visa ladder is easier than going down the visa ladder.
All of us that have been living on Bali for many years know fully well that the turn over rate of those who say, “I am moving to Bali” is very high, and that the vast majority of them don’t actually end up staying here as they originally intended.

As I also stated, four times now, it would be most advisable for Balilover to consult with an expert...like PT Bali Ide, to be certain that this approach, and their intended business activity, is allowable under a business visa. There are many distinctive advantages to using a highly professional top visa agent like PT Bali Ide.

Both Jimbo and Phil got side tracked by their misunderstanding that ANY business related activity in Bali requires a kitas...and that is simply not true...as import/export business activity is clearly allowable under a business visa...refer my prior link.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Roy see your statement below:

Both Jimbo and Phil got side tracked by their misunderstanding that ANY business related activity in Bali requires a kitas...and that is simply not true...as import/export business activity is clearly allowable under a business visa...refer my prior link.

The point is that a business or Sosbud visa is NOT intended as a permenent stay visa. You are a permenent resident as you neve tire of telling us. I am sorry I do not believe what you are doing is correct. Get your Immigration officer to give it to me in writing other wise no amount of your writing will convince me.

Obviously you have no bank account here (even though you have told everyone on the forum you have. Sometimes you are living in a dream world......and I do not mean Bali :D By all means live in it, it is no skin off my nose. Just do not give me advice on immigration.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
“Get your Immigration officer to give it to me in writing other wise no amount of your writing will convince me.”

Sorry Jimbo, but it’s up to you to do your own homework. :roll:

“Obviously you have no bank account here (even though you have told everyone on the forum you have.”

Here we go again...jumping to conclusions! :lol: :lol:

“Just do not give me advice on immigration.”

No worries Jimbo, as I’m not one who needlessly wastes energy. :shock:

“The point is that a business or Sosbud visa is NOT intended as a permenent stay visa.”

Agreed Jimbo, and I already addressed that. However, that was not the issue to which you originally objected regarding my discussion of a business visa. In fact, this is what you initially wrote:

“A business visa any where in the world is for business people to see what common ground there is to have a business relationship or the posibility of business between businesess in diferent countries.”

Hopefully you now know that in fact a business visa does allow one to conduct much more than just an “exploration” into business plausibility here. In fact it will allow for an internet based import/export business.

Now back to Bert’s latest post and to the specifics of doing an internet business out of Bali, specifically, the banking issue.

As anyone who has an internet based business, be that through a web site, or on-line auction house knows, it is essential to allow payment via electronic means. The leader in that industry is obviously Paypal. A problem there is that banks based in Indonesia are not approved for accepting payments through Paypal. This is due to the strict regulations employed by Indonesian banks regarding second and third party access to bank accounts. Moreover, it is difficult to acquire a merchant credit card account, (VISA, MC) through an Indonesian bank.

The solution to this problem is to maintain an off shore (meaning out of Indonesia) bank account which does allow for internet directed and safe monetary payments through a company like Paypal. A draw back to that approach is of course the tax liabilities for income derived in that country which hosts the bank account, but there are plenty of places where this liability can be minimized if not all together removed.

This of course raises the question, “how can I access those offshore funds here in Bali?” As generally agreed, it is difficult, if not currently impossible to set up a bank account here in Indonesia without a kitas...so this same problem confronts anyone who is here in Bali without a local account. The answers to how to access those funds is the same as for those others here who are without bank accounts based in Indonesia...ATM withdrawals, Western Union transfers, or direct bank wires to an account that has already been established here. Since both business visas and kitas visas both require an Indonesian partner/sponsor, for many this serves as the Bali based bank account.

Another approach, which I have mentioned several times on other strings, is to set up an account with a local community (banjar) bank (preferably where one is living) and have funds directly wired from the off-shore bank to the banjar bank account, credited to your banjar account. Any concerns or distrust in that approach is understandable, but for some who have very close banjar ties and relationships, this is just another option.

Hopefully it is understood by the majority of readers of this string that I am not advocating breaking Indonesian law. Throughout this string, (and now for the fifth time) I have advocated consultation with professional visa agents...PT Bali Ide to be specific, as well as immigration authorities themselves. Jimbo has taken an inflexible “black and white” approach to this topic, but as any of us who have lived here for any length of time know fully well...little, if anything, is ever “black and white” here.

Within the whole topic of visas in general, we can all find many disparate stories, and they are only confirmed by the acknowledged disparity of what and how a particular Indonesian embassy will issue what particular visa, down to how such inconsistency can even be found within immigration offices and from officer to officer.

For those sucked into the high melodrama offered by Phil...“arrest or worse” I suggest they have a look at the deportation white board in one of the offices at the head immigration office in Denpasar. There one will find that immigration is doing a good job of deporting those who should be deported...pedophiles, suspected drug users, and other such undesirables. There one will also find some very reasonable folks that just aren’t so prone to think in “black and white” as some would want to believe...thank God.

Uncle Jimbo, as for you, I sure hope you never get the head of immigration job here offered to you! :p :p

As an aside, or post script, but still pertinent to the visa topic (since both sosbud and business visas are 60 day but extendable visas), I give similar advice (as I offered to Balilover) to those who ask me about retiring to Bali. By that I mean that I suggest they first start off with a sosbud for a while before immediately committing to a retirement (five year) visa. That gives them the time to settle into Bali, and really determine if they truly want to remain here as a resident retiree.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Allow me some comments on what as so far been discussed.

- A biz visa does not allow one to personally export for any kind of resale anything from Indonesia.
- When applying for a biz visa, the following additional documents above those for a Visit Visa are required:

- a) A letter of intent from your employer or sponsor (in your home country), which describes the purpose of the visit (to Indonesia) and guarantees all transportation and living expenses that will incur in Indonesia (although it is legal for the Indonesian business partner or sponsor to supply their foreign partner with his/her living expenses, such as meals, lodging, etc, and provide a letter saying so)
- b) A letter of invitation from the business partner or sponsor in Indonesia, which describes the purpose of their foreign partner's visit.

Based on the above requirements, it does not require a lawyer (or a rocket scientist, which I am) to see that a biz visa does not allow a foreigner "residing" in Bali to personally sell on-line, from Bali, items he or she has personally acquired in Indonesia or any other places.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Daniel, I think you are better off sticking to rocket science, or something else rather than business. You can go back to my post dated May 8 which provides the link to allowable business activity under a business visa and clearly read for yourself that in fact:

-Making field visits to Indonesian affiliates or companies to discuss commodities to be purchased or sold in the import/export business.

-Performing the task of controlling the quality of goods to be imported from Indonesia.

ARE allowable activities under a business visa.

You state:

“A biz visa does not allow one to personally export for any kind of resale anything from Indonesia.”

Just for your information, ANYONE on ANY visa, including a 30 day VOA tourist visa is welcome to buy all the Indonesian made products they want, including making special production orders, and having them shipped anywhere in the world they want, and for whatever reason they want!

Folks from all over the world come to Bali and other parts of Indonesia all the time on 30 or 60 day tourist visas to stock up on goods to be shipped back to their home country for resale. Here in Bali, those typical products include furniture, handicrafts, art work, antiques, jewelry, tribal arts, textiles...etc. etc.

Indonesia may certainly have some quirky laws, but they sure aren’t that stupid as to restrict buying of their products!

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Uncle Jimbo, as for you, I sure hope you never get the head of immigration job here offered to you! :D :D

This made me laugh so much that I give up on the thread. As an aside I am always saying I wish I was the Walikota of Makassar so I could sort out the traffic. Maybe one day when I run for politics here......all with the correct documentation of course :D

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Well then Jimbo, please allow me to present you with your flag! :p

JimboFlag.jpg

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Yeah, yeah, its all fun and games, isn't it Roy....

I hope that you will never run into trouble, but your wishful interpretations of certain rules are simply wrong.

You live in Bali, and run a business there, end of story.

I doubt if Bali IDE knew all, they would advise a Business Visa......

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hmmm. Bert, that was a rather unusual comment from you. I won’t publicly share what I think about it, or where I think such a comment originates, anymore than I will some of Phil’s previous comments.

My comments are wishful? I don’t think so. Rather, I think that they are practical and useful.

“You live in Bali, and run a business there, end of story.”

Yes, I do live in Bali, and almost for ten years on now. But no, I do not run a business here...and that is the real end of this story.

“I doubt if Bali IDE knew all, they would advise a Business Visa......”

Well, they do know all, but in truth, they are only the “second string quarter back.” Sorry to use an American football metaphor, but the reality is, the immigration officials are the first string quarter backs.

To be totally blunt, I am somewhat surprised with some of the vitriol that has been expressed on this string. Does that come from the analysis previously presented that I am living a “charmed life” or “living in a dream?” Or does that come from something more nefarious or sinister?

I really don’t want to go in the direction to where I am pointing by those questions Bert, but I would really like to think that you understand what I mean.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
No doubt there are some "sentiments" in play, there are people pissed, it can stop one day I hope...

I am not ill hearted here Roy. Your situation concerns me. I have no other motives, although you suggest so.

If you are convinced you have a secure situation, fine. I don't think you have, and also some others seem to think not.

I hope you can get renewals until they throw you on the fire, hope they don't ask for a Kitas at the gates of Hindu heaven :p

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Gee Bert! Are you in competition with Phil for high melodrama?

And no, I am not at all suggesting that you have other motives, although that prior post from you was very strange, and it conveyed, clearly to me anyway, something other than what was explicitly written.

“If you are convinced you have a secure situation, fine. I don't think you have, and also some others seem to think not. I hope you can get renewals until they throw you on the fire, hope they don't ask for a Kitas at the gates of Hindu heaven.”

With all due respects, I don’t care what you, or anyone else thinks about the security of my position here. As I have said, and to the point of ad nausea, I rely on far more reliable entities for that security...as do many other established long term expats. The only difference between them, and me, is that I am willing to discuss this openly. The only fires waiting for me Bert, are the ones to come at my cremation.

When it is deemed time for me to change my visa yet again, I, and just like many others before me, will be summoned to immigration and be informed. There will be no fire, but rather, just a pleasant and cordial conversation. At that time I will obviously comply with the advice, just as I did when I was first advised to change my sosbud to a business visa.

As for the metaphor you offered about a kitas being required “at the gates of Hindu heaven” my only observation is more surprise...not something I would expect from someone like you, unless cynicism has taken hold. I sure hope not.

For me personally, it has been more than just passively interesting to read on this string the paranoia and uncertainty that some live with in their lives...be it here in Bali, or elsewhere. I’m unsure what else to add to that observation beyond it being noted. It is a shame though, and for me, it has never been a part of my life on Bali. Some may call that living a “charmed life” and others, “living in a dream.” It doesn’t matter to me. It’s my reality.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Roy,

I have not taken any exception to the list of permitted activities by a biz visa that you reproduced from a website, on May 8. In particular, the two activities, which you point out:

-Making field visits to Indonesian affiliates or companies to discuss commodities to be purchased or sold in the import/export business.

-Performing the task of controlling the quality of goods to be imported from Indonesia.

are absolutely legit.

I wrote: “A biz visa does not allow one to personally export for any kind of resale anything from Indonesia.”

I underlined "personal," but I agree that it did not express my point correctly. I wanted to say that a person on a business visa has to be acting as a representative of an entity OUTSIDE of Indonesia, including himself or herself. But a biz visa certainly does not allow you to carry your own business you have established IN Indonesia.

JUDY

May 11, 2007
seattle wa campuhan bali
Roy, just wrote a comment concerning this unbelievable discourse; my head was spinning like the girl in the exorcist movie. :cry: Hey guys, it seems to me that whenever you do not agree with Roy you attack him mercilessly. (spelling) To tired to look up the correct spelling.
Anyway, one can agree to disagree but to become rude is not necessary.

Roy obviously has done his homework with immigration etc, so whats the beef. Like he said, if the big honchos told him it is time to change his visa; he would. Give it a rest. Oh yeah, and Roy you maintained your cool remarkably. I think you guys who cast such verbal tirades towards Roy should be spanked. :lol: :lol:

milan

Mar 20, 2008
It's indeed a classic case, Judy. I know a very decent, knowledgeable, resourceful, successful in his own right, American man in Singapore though still very young, who just goes his own way all the time by doing his things, working hard, etc., yet, some of the men from other nationalities ganged up on him by talking bad behind his back, etc. :roll: :) I find it appaling. Luckily, this man always stays cool and respectful. I love that about American men. They are mature and always put their wives on a pedestal, which is another trait in them that I love. So, you go, Roy! :lol: :lol: :lol: