Safety in Sanur

thekman1964

Jun 29, 2018
First time post, long time lurker on this informative forum. I hope to be able to give back when my knowledge is more relevant and complete.
Anyway I am in the middle of finally working out what I need to do for my long anticipated move to Bali in early 2020. My digs are going to be in a 2 or 3 br villa in Sanur, as that is the area I feel most meets my needs over many trips to Bali to research. However I do have a nagging question that maybe a long term expat could assist with.
The villa I eventually lease will essentially be vacant for 50% of the time due to the fact that I will be traveling internationally extensively for the first two years of my retirement. I will be using the villa as a place to refresh and recuperate from my travels before heading off again. I am guessing that the longest single period the villa will be vacant will be about a month. I can hear everyone saying what a waste of money this is, but I figure this arrangement suits me more than any other option I have considered.
My question is around villa safety and I know there are many variables to be considered. Generally speaking if I were to leave my villa vacant for a maximum of a month, are my furniture and personal effects likely to be safe from break-ins whilst I am away? This might sound like a dumb question, but if I were to leave my property here in Melbourne vacant for a month it would be 1) no doubt be broken into before I get home, or 2) squatters would have surely moved in.
Am I jumping at shadows in thinking this might be an issue for me in Sanur? I look forward to any thoughts the experts out there might have. Thanks heaps.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
2020 is along way off. Just relax. Yes it will be relatively safe. But continue your house cleaning service while you are away, and security service if you have any.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
First time post, long time lurker on this informative forum. I hope to be able to give back when my knowledge is more relevant and complete.
Anyway I am in the middle of finally working out what I need to do for my long anticipated move to Bali in early 2020. My digs are going to be in a 2 or 3 br villa in Sanur, as that is the area I feel most meets my needs over many trips to Bali to research. However I do have a nagging question that maybe a long term expat could assist with.
The villa I eventually lease will essentially be vacant for 50% of the time due to the fact that I will be traveling internationally extensively for the first two years of my retirement. I will be using the villa as a place to refresh and recuperate from my travels before heading off again. I am guessing that the longest single period the villa will be vacant will be about a month. I can hear everyone saying what a waste of money this is, but I figure this arrangement suits me more than any other option I have considered.
My question is around villa safety and I know there are many variables to be considered. Generally speaking if I were to leave my villa vacant for a maximum of a month, are my furniture and personal effects likely to be safe from break-ins whilst I am away? This might sound like a dumb question, but if I were to leave my property here in Melbourne vacant for a month it would be 1) no doubt be broken into before I get home, or 2) squatters would have surely moved in.
Am I jumping at shadows in thinking this might be an issue for me in Sanur? I look forward to any thoughts the experts out there might have. Thanks heaps.
A neighbor from Canada has security cameras on his home in Bali, and can view them from his cell phone or computer when returning to Canada. He also has a maintenance person in Bali that may be alerted and investigate anything suspicious during his absence.

thekman1964

Jun 29, 2018
2020 is along way off. Just relax.

2020 is not that far away actually. I have moved to a different country four times in the past and each time seems to get more complicated as I get older! Thanks for the words of comfort re the security of my villa, reassuring.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I now live in Melbourne:(. I have a house in Surabaya (10yrs) I put cameras in last year just to look at the sunshine. I feel a lot safer in Indonesia.

PatrickWalch

Jul 4, 2018

hey, i plan to spend several months a year on bali as well starting next year. likely also part-wise in sanur, we'll see... i'll have my first vacation there in november to check out everything so, nothing is fix yet. i just thought instead of me renting a cheap room on airbnb or via homestays while you have a vacant villa starting in 2020, we could work together and i could take good care of your villa while you're away when i could stay there and protect it as if it was my own?! :-D of course we should meet a few times first and see if there is mutual trust but there's still some time until then...
i guess not even the neighbors would really notice when you're away since we share the same haircut, hahah!!
lemme know if you agree that this might be a cool idea!

have a good weekend!
cheers from germany,
patrick :)

thekman1964

Jun 29, 2018
hey, i plan to spend several months a year on bali as well starting next year. likely also part-wise in sanur, we'll see... i'll have my first vacation there in november to check out everything so, nothing is fix yet. i just thought instead of me renting a cheap room on airbnb or via homestays while you have a vacant villa starting in 2020, we could work together and i could take good care of your villa while you're away when i could stay there and protect it as if it was my own?! :-D of course we should meet a few times first and see if there is mutual trust but there's still some time until then...
i guess not even the neighbors would really notice when you're away since we share the same haircut, hahah!!
lemme know if you agree that this might be a cool idea!

have a good weekend!
cheers from germany,
patrick :)

Thanks Patrick for your response. I will be heading to Bali in late August to progress my planning. If what you suggest works in with my plans I will certainly be in contact with you. Thanks for taking the time.

Reactions: PatrickWalch

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Sweet! Another love match made on Tinderpod.

Seriously, why do both of you single/alone/guys need a 3 bedroom ranch right off the bat with long term lease/payment/emptiness and all the problems that entails. I'd suggest first a nice Kos with pool and locking doors in the area you'd like then when you've gotten "bedded in" and learned a little about the neighborhood go for the villa thing. Unless you can't bear to be separated?!