Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Jakarta Public Order Police chief, Hadi Santoso said on Tuesday at City Hall that his officials would be monitoring nightlife in the city during Ramadan, starting that night with a team of 225 officers. Officials from the public order police, Jakarta Tourism Office, the regular police and the military might also be involved during the month-long operation.

During the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, tighter rules govern the opening hours and operation of night entertainment venues. Of the total 1,799 spots in Jakarta, 898 must be closed completely during Ramadan until Idri Fitri while others are allowed limited hours of operation.

Places of entertainment that should be closed during Ramadan include nightclubs, discotheques, saunas, massage parlours and gaming machine venues, while those allowed to open may do so from 8.30pm to 1.30am. These include karaoke venues, live music venues and pool halls.

A blanket prohibition on opening is in force on the first day of Ramadan and some other key dates during and immediately after the holy month.

Where violations of the rules are discovered, Santoso said, the operator would be given an oral warning, followed by a written warning and possible revocation of the operating licence and sealing-off of the premises if warnings were ignored.

“If any of the public is aware of premises violating the rules that we may not know about, they can always contact us at the posts we have set up around the city or via the city tourism office,” Santoso said.

Public order officials to monitor Jakarta nightlife during Ramadan | Latest News From Bali | The Beat Daily

I feel sorry for the staff of these places and for the Owners of the places that are already struggling.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
They don't struggle here but most take alcohol of the menu & stay open. There are a couple of pool halls that close & board up the shop fronts & the owners go on holiday. Supermarkets still sell beer.

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Have been in Jakarta for few days and already feeling uneasy, my favorite street vendors (kaki lima) in Menteng were not open today because they were "suggested" to closed down on the first day of Ramadhan.

I remember years back then when I went to a cafe in kemang and the live music was halt immediately because of FPI was coming to sweep the area, later on I found out they trash a nearby restaurant/cafe but "secured" some liquor bottles as evidence

Hopefully it will never be allowed now, the police needs to be enforced the law better and never let this type of behavior happens every year:indecisiveness: