Proposed Paramount Amusement Park in West Bali

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali
Touted as the largest amusement park in SE Asia, this thing may actually be happening after years of talk. The new Toll Road will likely bring hoards of tourists from Denpasar to the tranquil area of west Bali. This park will be built just 1.6 kms from my Villa in the very quiet area here. Where I live is largely Muslim with 5 mosques located within 7 kms of where I live. I love it here for the peace and quiet (no dance clubs, no bars, few tourists and few Hotels, nearest Pepitos is 1.5 hours away).

How out of place is an amusement park here?

I understand the Banjar wanting to boost tourism here and provide jobs for the locals but what is the thinking here? Bali Sun regularly reports about the importance of preserving the culture of Bali but again it's a constant fight between preserving the culture and greed for money. What's the point bringing tourists to the West who will come for the day, ride the park rides, and head back to Denpasar at the end of the day.

https://thesmartlocal.com/read/paramount-pictures-theme-park-bali/

Reactions: Zimbo

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
my Villa in the very quiet area here. Where I live is largely Muslim with 5 mosques located within 7 kms of where I live.
Quiet with 5 mosqus around ?

Concerning location : amusement parcs needing large land areas they are seldom located in a city center......

At least it will give plenty employment or locals. And opportunities to make nice / easy money for certain others.....

Reactions: tel522 and Shadrach

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali

Concerning location : amusement parcs needing large land areas they are seldom located in a city center......

At least it will give plenty employment or locals. And opportunities to make nice / easy money for certain others.....
I'm out of range to hear the worships going on 5 times a day; Medewi gets blasted though. Yes, groundskeepers will be needed and supplied from the local work force but since almost no one speaks English here I doubt they will have meaningful and decent paying jobs...but point taken. Large land area needed, yes, agree but this area is massively conservative Muslim which is my point. I suppose there is no good place for it but West Bali is probably the worst place on Bali for a massive amusement park, in my opinion. Huge parking lot, massive infrastructure and heaps of garbage to be carted away each day and hopefully sent to Denpasar and not dumped locally.

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023
The whole island is pushing towards becoming a kind of Bali Disneyland as cultural activities, dance, parades etc. are increasingly performed as tourist entertainment.
1716515354592.png

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
The whole island is pushing towards becoming a kind of Bali Disneyland as cultural activities, dance, parades etc. are increasingly performed as tourist entertainment.
View attachment 4112
Another mammoth project in the wrong place...

Look at what it contends...2 beach clubs ?
https://thebalisun.com/new-date-announced-for-opening-of-southeast-asias-biggest-mall-in-bali/

Who need this in Sanur ?

And now calling for more investments from family offices...They want to compete with HK ?

https://thebalisun.com/tourism-minster-wants-to-make-bali-hong-kong-style-economic-hub/

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
Guys, most of you have been living in Bali for decades. It's been evolving rapidly for a while now, so any new developments should not be a surprise. You don't like it? Plenty of secluded islands elsewhere in Indonesia. Either embrace the change and stop complaining or pack up and go.

Reactions: sakumabali

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali
Guys, most of you have been living in Bali for decades. It's been evolving rapidly for a while now, so any new developments should not be a surprise. You don't like it? Plenty of secluded islands elsewhere in Indonesia. Either embrace the change and stop complaining or pack up and go.
I disagree. Post-pandemic Bali has seen a surge in development and I'm not embracing the change nor am I relocating either AND new developments continue to surprise me and I'm not alone. BTW: I'll voice an opinion if I want and piss off if you think it's complaining. That said, I understand this is not my land to do with as I please. Bali culture is being lost by western influences and this doesn't seem to be problem to you?

https://thebalisun.com/balis-natural-heritage-is-being-threatened-by-development-says-unesco/

These are not local projects being developed locally, but very large-scale projects being designed by huge overseas firms making a ton of money on the backs of Bali.

Here's an example...There is a new 240 Villa complex of box-shaped homes to be built just South of Candidasa which I heard about a few days ago. It appeared in the Bali Expat Facebook page as advertising.

I read in the Bali Sun a few days ago about how local banjars approve building permits for new construction while the authority managing development as a whole on Bali has no review of new building permits or any idea how much development is actually taking place.

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
"Bali culture is being lost by western influences and this doesn't seem to be problem to you?"

Such is life my friend. Since the dawn of men, cultures have been lost by outside influences. People act like just because it's 2024 that it won't happen in Bali - or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

In Bali's case, it is the Balinese themselves selling out their culture for profit. I have very little sympathy for them.

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023
Such is life my friend. Since the dawn of men, cultures have been lost by outside influences. People act like just because it's 2024 that it won't happen in Bali - or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

In Bali's case, it is the Balinese themselves selling out their culture for profit. I have very little sympathy for them.
The Balinese selling out for profit are a small minority with a lot of money much of which probably comes from Java. One can have a legitimate sympathy for the majority of Balinese seriously committed to their traditions who I daresay feel it more intensely than us expats for whom it is more inconvenience and aesthetic disapproval.

Reactions: Rellek

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
This is another story of short sighted Greed! While yes the money is coming from fat cats somewhere, it is the local Banjar's selling out! How can these projects, proceed if the development authority doesn't know? This seems unlikely to me! As always, when big projects like this happens, very few benefit. Yes there will be jobs created, but only for a few, and only for a short time. Everything in the area, will skyrocket in price, and as we know, the pollution will also! As I've said before, foresight, common sense, planning ahead sensible, is just a dream here.

There is not any infrastructure, to deal with plastic pollution, everywhere you look, even the most beautiful river valleys, are just dumping grounds, for lazy Balinese people's rubbish! They don't know where to take it, it cost them money, so they just throw it anywhere! I say, put a large tax, on the corporations to provide recycling. But we know, they would only put the burden on the consumer! Which no one wants. The only solution is to make plastic from organic, biodegradable oil! Instead of spending Gazillions, on military equipment, use it to stop Cancer, and the Plastic problem! I know there will be a million excuses,about this not being possible, but I don't believe it!
Greed is the New God now!

Reactions: YachtRock

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali
This is another story of short sighted Greed! While yes the money is coming from fat cats somewhere, it is the local Banjar's selling out! How can these projects, proceed if the development authority doesn't know? This seems unlikely to me!
One hand not knowing what the other hand is doing.

"Speaking separately, the Head of the Denpasar Investment and One Stop Integrated Services Service, Ida Bagus Benny Pidada Rurus, revealed that officials in Bali are unable to see the licensing data for the construction of hotel facilities in Bali due to the operating system".

https://thebalisun.com/creation-of-special-tourism-authority-could-save-bali-from-overdevelopment/

Too little, too late.

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
One hand not knowing what the other hand is doing.

"Speaking separately, the Head of the Denpasar Investment and One Stop Integrated Services Service, Ida Bagus Benny Pidada Rurus, revealed that officials in Bali are unable to see the licensing data for the construction of hotel facilities in Bali due to the operating system".

https://thebalisun.com/creation-of-special-tourism-authority-could-save-bali-from-overdevelopment/

Too little, too late.
You're really going to take an Indonesian government official's word on that? Sounds like a lame excuse for greed in my opinion. "Oh, the operating system is preventing us from seeing the licensing data. We had no ideas these foreigners and Javanese with deep pockets were stealing our land out from under our feet. Oh no, pity us!." Get real.

Sorry but I don't buy that it's a "small minority" selling out Bali. I think they very much know what they are doing and I have plenty of evidence from relationships with Balinese people confirming that fact.

Reactions: Shadrach

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali
You're really going to take an Indonesian government official's word on that? Sounds like a lame excuse for greed in my opinion. "Oh, the operating system is preventing us from seeing the licensing data. We had no ideas these foreigners and Javanese with deep pockets were stealing our land out from under our feet. Oh no, pity us!." Get real.

Sorry but I don't buy that it's a "small minority" selling out Bali. I think they very much know what they are doing and I have plenty of evidence from relationships with Balinese people confirming that fact.
Got it...Ignore everything and assume everyone is lying. How is this working out for you?

The Development Authority has admitted the system is broke and they are working to fix it. Since when do Bali Officials admit their system is flawed? Very rarely. It makes sense to me that the Banjars would issue permits and licenses without the Island's government or Indonesian government knowing, this dysfunction makes sense on Bali. Why would an Indonesian government official admit such a thing? You sound like a very bitter old man who has had his fill of Bali and maybe it's time for you to move on.

Reactions: Markit

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I say "let them build when and what they want"!

There are another 16999 islands left that have hardly been touched. Indonesia has the second largest coastline in the world (behind Canada, which is a tad chili for your usual holiday maker).

And I'll say it again most of this island is still untouched from developers because all the idiots want to get their skinny lattes and mexican food delivered to their beachfront villas in 20 minutes and then head off to the gym or tai chi lessons.

Actually being in Bali is way down the list of important things for these people.

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
Got it...Ignore everything and assume everyone is lying. How is this working out for you?

The Development Authority has admitted the system is broke and they are working to fix it. Since when do Bali Officials admit their system is flawed? Very rarely. It makes sense to me that the Banjars would issue permits and licenses without the Island's government or Indonesian government knowing, this dysfunction makes sense on Bali. Why would an Indonesian government official admit such a thing? You sound like a very bitter old man who has had his fill of Bali and maybe it's time for you to move on.

Not once did I say everyone is lying. I just have a hard time trusting government officials in Indonesia...anyone who's lived here long enough should understand why there is that distrust.

Why would an Indonesian government official admit such a thing? Well I don't know. But if I had to wager they are just trying to cover up their inadequacies over the years. Indonesian culture is not big on confrontation. Oftentimes, they will deflect to avoid the confrontation and get out of there with their heads held high.

Again, this is just my theory and if I do sound bitter, it's because I am. But I'll quote an old friend on this one: "I'll voice an opinion if I want and piss off if you think it's complaining."

Despite my bitterness, I still love this country and will never leave. It's far better than any alternative option out there.

Zimbo

Jun 22, 2016

.......And what sort of employment will it give to locals? Most of them are farmers who will think that they can become rich by working as gardeners.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
View attachment 4112
The local developers do not have have much money (in Bali at least) for big developments so the concept is as usual to have foreigners to finance (I have another word but will not mention it here) and then the local "gatekeepers" will insert themselves into the process. China and the Russian seems more than willing to play this game.

Universal will not take the risk of ownership for this park, they will just do low risk licencing of the rights and provide guidelines for construction and operation.

Last edited: