Old Forum Members Again - Auld Lang Syne...

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Logically she is still under an order of detention until her sentence expires, although I read she may get a parole in May.
What I find compelling is she could have gone back to Australia years ago if she only confessed and said sorry...she has steadfastly refused to do that.
I feel there will be more forthcoming about this case after she returns to Oz.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I feel there will be more forthcoming about this case after she returns to Oz.

Like what? I don't think there is anything more to say about the case and the last person who tried to write a book about the family was sued for almost $1 million.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Like evidence that was rejected during her trial in Bali. Like evidence that could be accepted in Australian jurisdiction about precedence. Like evidence that was NOT accepted when it was well documented that baggage handlers were drug couriers. Like evidence that the Australian Gov't did not do due diligence in protecting its citizen with respect to her case.....arguably because of personalities..
Like I said...I have no axe to grind. I don't know anything other than reading...but I truly think she is not going to give-up her innocence and pay the penalty of increased sentence without intent.......so imho, there will be more to follow..... keep posted imo..... it's not over. .

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
The Australian lawyer Robin Tampoe admitted that he made up the baggage handler story after hearing something on the news. http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-...hapelle-corby-10-years-on-20140208-328m7.html

I predict another media frenzy when she is released and goes back to Australia. She will sell her story to the highest bidder, if it hasn't already been organized and who knows whats next for her. I doubt there will be much if any discussion about the actual case.

Reactions: gilbert de jong

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Spicy...to be fair... you should allow the reader to come to their own conclusion and not make yours prevalent....this is from your link....
"Robin Tampoe: The Corby family's former lawyer revealed in a documentary that he made up the ''baggage handler defence''. Shortly afterwards, he was struck off by the Queensland Law Society. However, he had exposed genuine flaws and triggered the Wheeler report, resulting in a multimillion-dollar overhaul of Australian airport security. Tampoe has since reinvented himself as a successful businessman in the United Arab Emirates."

Maybe...just maybe... he had a point ...otherwise, why would the Australian taxpayer pay 'multi-millions' to overhaul something if there wasn't a problem in the first place...that doesn't make any sense.

I agree with your second para and why I also said I think there is more forthcoming. However, to justify staying in jail in Bali for such an extended time when it was so easy to confess and go home demands, in my mind, some commitment..... and, to rationalize it was done to simply make a book deal, doesn't make sense either.

The only recent connection to her steadfast declaration of innocence, to my recall, was John McCain's commitment to stay in a Vietnamese prison until all American prisoners were released. Due to obvious propaganda the Vietcong were willing to release him as he is the son of an Admiral...but he declined and stayed, and was tortured, for around 6 years. He was considered a hero for his cause.

I think Schapelle has a truth yet to tell...which has not been told...and I'd be very interested to hear it.

What I find compelling is she could have gone back to Australia years ago if she only confessed and said sorry...
You must be joking, Davita. If she would have confessed and obtain a remission for it, it would have created havoc in Indonesia. Don't under estimate the resentment from the people here and the power of lobbies such as Granat.

There are a bunch of foreign convict who have confessed and say sorry and it did not win them any grace or remission. Heck! Some have even been executed despite confessing, saying sorry and proving that they were able to do some good.

If she would have confessed she would have lost a lot of money and support from back home. Everyone feels sorry for an "innocent". A lot less for a drug smuggler.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I recall reading she was eligible for parole in 2012 but RI came up with some immigration law which would need them to release her back to Australia immediately. She wasn't paroled until 2014......and still has to stay in Bali until her full sentence is complete.
They re-wrote the immigration law...just for her.
I cannot find the article but clearly remember the plausible reason given, in the article, was because she never attended church, was trouble in jail and wouldn't confess.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
There will always be ways to circumvent rules, regulations and laws but in Oz there are laws that prohibit profiting from criminal acts such as the one Corby was found guilty of.
Is she guilty? I have no clue but the reality is that she is a convicted of smuggling drugs between Oz and Indo'.

They re-wrote the immigration law...just for her.
You can't be serious asserting this, Davita. UU 6/2011 would have drafted just for Corby? I guess it was humor.
No, seriously, the question of the foreign detainees have been on the table since the early 2000's, way before that Corby got arrested. And Corby has not been the first to profit from the new stipulations allowed by UU 6/2011. she was just one of the many detainees which were eligible for parole but weren't able to be granted this right due to the lack of a legal frame allowing said foreign convict to have a partial freedom.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
You can't be serious asserting this, Davita. UU 6/2011 would have drafted just for Corby? I guess it was humor.

I confess I don't know the law but I do know I read something where she was denied or delayed parole for a considerable time. There was media speculation the parole was denied/delayed because of her unwillingness to admit and bend to RI's rules. I cannot find that article but did find this one....

"Dated 14 Nov 2012....CONVICTED drug smuggler Schapelle Corby's bid for early release from Bali's notorious Kerobokan jail is on hold indefinitely as Indonesian authorities move to close a loophole that may have allowed her to return to Australia if granted parole.
Immigration laws introduced last year did not include visa provisions allowing foreign prisoners on parole to live in Indonesia - meaning they would either serve their parole in an immigration detention centre or be deported.
But director for Indonesian prison training and service Rahmat Prio Sutarjo said yesterday parole applications for all foreign prisoners have been suspended.

"In the new immigration law a foreign citizen who is undergoing legal process or serving sentences is not able to be given a visa," Mr Sutarjo said.
"If a foreign citizen (does not have a) stay permit, then he or she has to go to (an) immigration detention centre.
"This is not a parole situation any more because it's still detention. Submission of a parole request for foreign prisoners is postponed."
Mr Sutarjo said closing the loophole and creating new laws which would allow prisoners like Corby to serve out her parole "free to work among the society" could take months.
Indonesian lawyer Iskander Nawing, who submitted Corby's clemency plea, said yesterday the 35-year-old's parole application could not be submitted until the visa situation was resolved.

But he said he hoped the visa laws could be revised by as early as next week."

I find it odd that they only applied their rule when she was due...didn't hear about them applying in any previous case.
She was finally released on parole to spend the rest of her sentence in Bali on 10 Feb 2014.

I find it odd that they only applied their rule when she was due...didn't hear about them applying in any previous case.
She was finally released on parole to spend the rest of her sentence in Bali on 10 Feb 2014.
What I questioned in your statement was that you asserted that the government modified the law for HER. At the time of the modification there was over 1.000 foreign inmates in the Indonesian prison all over the archipelago, sentenced for a wide array of offenses and many were eligible for parole. Corby was just one of them andd she hassn't been the first one to benefit of the modification of the law. I mentioned Michael Blanc in an earlier post for example, who has been granted parole in mid January 2014 and before him there was a group of Asean inmates sentenced for offenses related to illegal fishing...etc

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the info re: MIchael Blanc. I cannot find too much about him except about his release below...is he still in RI as he was not supposed to leave until July 2017?
I don't know the details of law so defer to your insight.
I just read the newspapers and recalled that Corby was detained much longer in jail after she was eligible for parole (2012-2014).... so maybe that was the 'bureaucracy' that is referred below...one report I read alluded it was punishment for her intransigence.

"Indonesian law does not normally allow foreigners to be released on parole after serving two-thirds of their sentence. However, this is the norm for Indonesian inmates.
Blanc's mother argued the law should be the same for all prisoners. The parole is conditional on Blanc remaining in the country until the end of his sentence on July 21, 2017.
In August, the island's corrections board recommended Corby for early release from the notorious Kerobokan jail, but this is being held up by bureaucracy."