New to forum; will be in Bali soon

cyrus

Mar 20, 2007
Soon in Jimbaran
Hi All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself ass it's quite a tight knit forum here. My name is Cyrus and I'm new to the forum and will be moving to Bali in the early part of next year. My wife is Indonesian (from SBY) - but we met in Australia and now live in Canada. We're thinking of Jimbaran and would like to know your thoughts. We've travelled Bali a lot and love the place, while being accutely aware of the challenges.

All the best to all and hope to hear back from some of you. Thinking about sending the kids to BIS.

Regards,

Cyrus

cyrus

Mar 20, 2007
Soon in Jimbaran
Apologies all a slight typo there:

"AS it's quite a tight knit forum here"

BTW - I'm 27 - I'm wondering what the average age of the expat community is in Bali?

Cyrus

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Hi Cyrus

I am not an expat living in Bali but welcome to our forum. I visit three times a year and import containers into Australia.

cyrus

Mar 20, 2007
Soon in Jimbaran
Thanks all,

I remembered I had another question. Is anyone aware as to what type of visa I might require - as I said, my wife is Indonesian, but as I understand it, that doesn't give me any exemption because nationality follows the husband; i.e. if the husband is Indonesian, a non-ndonesian wife would be exempt from any visa requirements.

I'll be working in Bali.

Cyrus

jogry blok

Sep 28, 2005
Dencarick
Welcome Cyrus to the forum, my name is Jogry 73, my husband Neil 79, we moved to Bali from Australia 3 years ago, so you see we have a variety of ages here.

G

G'day and selamat datang cobber.

Is anyone aware as to what type of visa I might require

You need a social visa or 'Social Budaya'. There's a lot of information about it on this forum if you want to organise it yourself. Or you could just go to an agent like Bali IDE and they will do everything for you (see the top of this page "VISA Indonesia".

There has been some talk of a 120 day tourist visa but that might not suit you and who knows if or when it will eventuate.

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
From what I have read Cyrus says he will be working. I have never looked into it myself but from what I have read a social visa would not be correct.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Tina

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Welcome Cyrus - I'm a young 94 and Jimbaran? Too slow, I likes to party and at my age I gotta live near the action or be wast'n precious time on the road - and that's dangerous with a walker! Ooops that's 49, sorry.........

iainsomers

Aug 3, 2006
Houten, The Netherlands
Hi, I'm 28 and will move i three years. What are you going to do in bali to support yourself?

On Jimbaran: Was my first option also a while ago, but I changed my mind. Busy traffic in the direction of kuta/denpasar, lots of old people, not really Bali. But dont value my opinion too much, as I dont live in Bali yet. Just have been there alot.

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Welcome Cyrus,

Good question about the average age of expats in Bali, I don't think it's been asked before. I'm going to guess the average age on the forum is about 45... I'm 32, also married to an Indonesian and living in Canada and we have two boys ages 2 and 3. We have been wanting to move back for the last 3 years now and I'm afraid we are still not quit ready.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Visa depends on what you will do and how long you want to stay for. Please let us know and we can guide you in the right direction. Welcome.

My age is my business :)

matahari

Mar 8, 2005
Oslo
Welcome to the forum Cyrus... The Visa you need is as Allan wrote a Social budaya visa, but there is other options such as multi entry business visa, KITAs..

Good luck. I`m 25 by the way

:)

cyrus

Mar 20, 2007
Soon in Jimbaran
Hi and thanks all,

Yes - will be working in Bali for medium to long term (i.e. 5+ years), but may stay there indefinately - it's close to home for my wife and pretty close to home for me (from Perth). We feel very much at home in Asia, particularly Indonesia as there's no language gaps - our young ones have been raised with Bahasa. But we do travel alot and would likely spend at least 2-3 months outseide of Bali every year after we move there.

Will a social visa allow me to work? Many thanks all for the feedback on the ages - I'm very excited and encouraged by the active, diverse expat community over there.

PS - has anyone here had sate babi from a small place in Denpasar? I forget the name but it's close to Warung Wardani (it's on the same road).

Cheers,

Cyrus

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Re: RE: New to forum; will be in Bali soon

iainsomers said:
On Jimbaran: Was my first option also a while ago, but I changed my mind. Busy traffic in the direction of kuta/denpasar, lots of old people, not really Bali.

Ian

So you class 'old people' in the same category as 'busy traffic' perhaps? Nuisances to be avoided at all costs? I think you should reappraise your attitude before you move to Bali. In my experience, in Balinese society the older generation are accorded a lot of respect.

Jimbaran is 'not really Bali'? I think you will find that most people who live there would disagree with you. I think I know what you are getting at though, Jimbaran does not fit in with your idealised perception of the "Island of the Gods".

I was amused by your "I will move there in three years" however. The optimism of youth. I am 51 by the way, so you better not move next door to me, I might be too "old" for you.

Regards
Sam

manc in oz

Nov 29, 2006
Gold Coast Australia
Re: RE: New to forum; will be in Bali soon

Jimbo said:
Visa depends on what you will do and how long you want to stay for. Please let us know and we can guide you in the right direction. Welcome.

My age is my business :)

Is that an old business or a young one Jimbo. :lol:

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Welcome to the forum Cyrus

By now, you probably have a better idea of what kind of visa you will need in Indonesia. You asked:

...Will a social visa allow me to work?...

The answer is a flat NO. You cannot work on a social visa. End of story. (At least, not legally.)

matahari suggests:

...you will need to apply for the multi entry business visa or KITAS...

It's my understanding that you cannot work on a business visa, either. You can "consult", "research business stuff", etc, but not actually work. (Again, not legally.) The only visa that allows you to work is the KITAS. To get a KITAS, one normally has to be employed by an existing company in Indonesia. Then again, I believe it's possible to set-up some kind of a company (if you have enough money), and become one of its "employees". Something like that, but I am no expert in that department. Maybe your wife could start something and "employ" you, if she hasn't done so all ready. :D

There are many Balinese still living in Jimbaran. I agree with a previous poster that the main road between Nusa Dua - Jimbaran - Kuta - Denpasar can be a bit of a hassle on a daily basis. In my own case, that's the main reason why I haven't moved there. Jimbaran and the nearby Bukit are nice enough places. The traffic to Kuta/Denpasar is something else. I hate it.

8)