Mount Agung erupts.

davita

According to news Mount Agung had a slight eruption around 5:30 this evening...smoke was seen from the top. I'd advise everyone to keep abreast of news as this could be the BIG one...hat hati folks.

Last edited:
According to Ubud resident Rio Helmi, who has been on top of the Mt. Agung situation and in contact with the authorities and experts since the beginning:

"This afternoon Gunung Agung has undergone a phreatic eruption (or sometimes known as a cold eruption) for the first time. It is caused by water entering deep into the vents/cracks and coming into contact with extreme heat and gases resulting in violent explosive reaction. The cloud you see contains sulfur dioxide etc. It is not yet a magmatic eruption. Phreatic eruptions v have only been known to cause magmatic eruptions in isolated cases, eg in Japan. No.panic needed but common sense. Watch for ash if you live close to the mountain and protect your lungs, eyes etc."

So maybe not the big one, yet...

Dr Janine Krippner cites Mount Sinabung as an example of a volcano that had a phreatic eruptions form 2010 to 2013, which was a precursor to the the magmatic eruption that continues until today.

The head of Rendang volcano monitoring station, Dewa Mertayasa said it is likely that phreatic eruptions will continue for sometime, although there are no magmatic activities yet. Consequently the alert level hasn't been increased from Siaga (the second highest level).

So ya dont panic , but keep an eye on the news for sure .

Agung is busy again ! and now its affecting flights ..

IDD65295.png

https://www.perthnow.com.au/.../bali-volcano-flights-diverted-as-alert-level-for-moun...24 mins ago - Mount Agung emits volcanic smoke and ash from its crater on ... November 25, 2017 4:32AM ... That eruption lasted for more than a year.
Bali volcano : flights diverted as alert level for Mount Agung goes to red
Geoffrey Thomas, PerthNow November 25, 2017 8:32PM
Flights from Australia to Bali have been thrown into chaos after the alert level for Mount Agung was raised to RED – its highest level last night.

At least four Jetstar flights and one Qantas flight between Australian airports and Bali have diverted to other airports.

A Virgin Australia flight from Pt Hedland to Bali has also turned back.

The Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre said that the volcanic ash cloud was up to 25,000ft and moving south.

However, Batik Air, Garuda, and Indonesia AirAsia are still operating.

Jetstar’s flight JQ 116 did not depart from Perth to Bali at 5.30pm and the airline’s three flights today are all expected to be cancelled.

People intending to travel should check the airline’s website.

Over 500,000 West Australians visit Bali every year making it the most popular overseas holiday destination.

Over the past months, 140,000 people have been evacuated from the region around the volcano when it was on high alert but that number is reduced to about 30,000 after the alert levels were lowered.

However, there has been no increase in seismic tremors from the volcano.

Indonesian authorities downgraded their eruption warning for Mt Agung in late October after a decrease in seismic activity.

The alert was boosted to the highest threat level in September amid fears an eruption was imminent.

Mt Agung’s last major eruption was in 1963 and killed more than 1100 people. That eruption lasted for more than a year.

Volcanic ash can do significant damage to aircraft’s systems, sensors and engines and Australian airlines take an ultra-cautious approach to volcanic ash.

- this story first appeared on airlineratings.com

This morning the floor of our house in Gianyar was covered with ashes, I didn't want to believe it until I sweep the floor. A little bit scary....

So, do I have this right, that the most recent eruptions are magmatic, not phreatic?
(also, apologies for the extended absence and abrupt appearance. Couldn't make heads or tails of whether I should post as a new or old member)

ETA: Also appears that the current prevailing wind direction is south/southeast?

According to the Darwin VAAC we may get some ash in south Bali today. It's reported some fell on the airport already....hati hati.
IDD65300.png

I just heard on the bbc , ngurah rai will be closed for 18 hours , I cant find online . Hmm , no doubt verification will appear later .

Gday all, we arrived Sunday at 11am, no drama with Garuda , cruised thru customs and straight to Hotel. We will cross with ferry and fly back from Jakarta to Perth. We just made it on As todays 7.50am flight didn't make it, phew , having a young don in tow it would of been messy. T.

Thanks, davida, for this great website, which I did not know about, not having needed it in the past.
You're welcome.
I use the free version all the time to determine when family and friends will arrive...it shows when the aircraft takes-off and the predicted landing in 'real-time'....it's almost like being on the flight.
If you search the Flight No. the program will find the A/C and, when clicked and highlighted, it shows the route flown and, on the left information section, all the details like speed, height, type, and updated arrival time.
I used it last Saturday to see my wife coming back from Jakarta so delayed leaving the house for her pick-up due to her delayed arrival time.
I also used it effectively a few weeks ago when we went to Adelaide. I knew the same A/C arriving from ADL would be the same one to return.... it was on-time so we went to the airport accordingly.

Back