mastercaster

Nov 10, 2010
Thanks Gilbert , didn't really word my question well.. looking back ...

Yup thats exactly what I was after .. any vehicle brought in from "off island" wanting to change registration to DK plates , has to be 8 years old or less ... just curious is all , bought the rigs I've owned on island, all DK , so never had to deal with that issue .. less selection and more expensive here than the big cities for sure .. just the way it is ...

Turning back odometer's/milage ?? No, say it isn't so .. owners or agents wouldn't really do that ... would they ? :highly_amused:

Cheers

Last edited:

alphonso

May 26, 2011
So what are the rules now?
I have a open motorbike license since 1976 & when I used to have a international license they just stamped all as i have complete license , there was no CC on the license?

Sorry i didn't give any more info, i ran out of time and was going to post more later but looks like others already did.

i got my bike L's in Oz a couple of yrs ago on a 650cc. The 250cc limit for L's was phased out a few years before that, but it does vary from state to state.

If you're now talking about full bike license i am fairly sure this means there is no limit at all in terms of engine cc.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
When I went for my license the policeman told me to ride to the pub & back, if I didn't fall off I would get my license.

"If you're now talking about full bike license i am fairly sure this means there is no limit at all in terms of engine cc"
The OP asked about CC on his international license but i you have a motor bike license, there is no CC on your international license???

On a side note my wife went & got a car license (sim) for a car & she can't drive. Only n Indonesia.

alphonso

May 26, 2011
Ahh right, yeh, the OP... forgot about him :icon_mrgreen:

Yep the International License for a bike just says something about it must have unladen weight not more than 400kg. No mention of cc. But the local polisi usually ask to see both the international + home country bike license too. And whatever it says on that one will apply. That's if they can read it

But you know how it goes... if they spot "125cc" on his home country license and he's cruising around Kuta on a bike with "150cc" stickers all over it they will make a big deal about it. Nothing Rp 50k won't fix, but they all add up. Gilbert's living out in the sticks where they don't seem to give a shit, but Kuta/Sanur cops can be brutal.

Then you've got the travel insurance problem should you need their help, they'll also look for any reason not to pay your claim. And they won't take a Rp 50k note :highly_amused:

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
The rules on learners for motorcycles appears to vary a bit from state to state. For SA and VIC at least, you can ride an approved one in the list up to 660cc, and most under 250 are approved (the list appears identical).

I don't reckon the indo coppers would have a problem, but if you got into an accident on a bike to high powered for your licence, your travel insurance might get cranky. But from looking at the list, and seeing the bike my mate drives on his learners (its freaking BIG, but he does weigh about 350lbs), I suspect there are not to many bikes avail in bali that would be deemed as too big. Approved motorcycles for novice riders : VicRoads

I hope I clarify this correctly for you tiggy , when you say "approved up to 660 cc " this means lams approved - ie; although the bike maybe a 650 cc , its engine has been mechanically restricted to run with the charicteristics of a 250 cc or less motorcycle . This is called lams restricted . After you are granted an open licence , that lams restricted bike can then be tuned up to remove the lams restriction , thus having its 650cc power .

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When you get an international motorcycle licence from Australia ( or anywhere ) , it will usually be stamped either ; open or restricted ( 250 cc or less , or lams restricted is the same also ) ....., or similar ....,

In Indonesia , the police wont know the difference between the two , or even know if its a car or a motorcycle licence .

One important thing to be aware of though is if you have travel insurance and you have a serious accident (as alphonso pointed out ).

Say you are medivacced home after your serious accident to Singapore or Australia , or wherever .......,

The insurance company will be looking for loopholes not to pay out for you $70,000 AUD medivac flight home .
The insurance assesor will be digging deep to make sure you where completly abiding by the law ( ie; licenced for the bike you had the accident on ) If your licence classification didnt match the engine capacity , or worst still you were not licenced to even ride a bike ...., then you can bet on the insurance company will not be paying out for your claim , as this would now fall under " partaking in an illegal activity " and you would either be left here in indo high and dry , or have a very huge bill to pay . It only takes a couple of phone calls for the insurance assesor to find out all this info ........, be carefull

Last edited: