meeting people

bali and panama

Jan 16, 2008
kerobokan, Bali
Hi Everyone,
I am wondering where to meet people - I'd really like to have some new friends here in Bali. I've been living here about 1 year and only have my few Balinese friends because I only do things with them. I am an American, female, living in Kerobokan. Are there any expat groups, meetings or get-togethers anywhere? Preferably not nightclubs, but if I HAVE to.......I'm fun, smart, and was able to retire at a younger age than most Americans. I lived in Panama for a couple years and my goal is to split my time between the two with an occasional 1 month trip back to the US.

Thanks in advance!

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
First welcome to the forum. I cannot personally help as I am not in Bali and to be honest not a lot of us are. The question has been asked many times however and if you do a search on the forum I am sure you will find some answers.

The Hash House Harriers are fairly common throughout Indonesia and may well have a meeting in Bali. Try a google search for them. There are also rotary clubs etc also.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Well I am here and I am afraid I dont know of anything like this. True I have only been in Bali 9 months, but I have been in neighbouring Lombok for over 10 years and on the various forums for years and not really seen anything apart for the get togethers held by the various forums, which are more for tourists here at that time than expats living here. (so it seems).

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I couldnt even guess Tintin as I dont spend much time in senggigi or Mataram where they are mostly centred.

I did read somewhere, sometime ago that it was about 2000, though how accurate that figure or my memory is, is anyone's guess!

Down in Kuta the longer term ones that I know are about 20/30 that includes those that maybe stay half the year.

That number is growing though as tourists are buying up all the land in the area, with the new airport going ahead now.

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Hey BP
Panama, man I love that song - Van Halen Rocks..........ha
Personally, I find your area, and Bali, a bit hard for socializing. I spent 2 ½ years in Batu Belig and have only a couple male friends and they’re (not me!) trying at times.
What about Panama? I’ve read a lot about it on Escape Artist .Com as they evidently have invested all and are using that site to sell it off :). I wrote a story on homebuilding for them and got a couple letters from people there, in the hills. So what’s the scoop?
David

bali and panama

Jan 16, 2008
kerobokan, Bali
HI,
Panama is GREAT!! I bought land on the Caribbean coast 6 years ago and it has appreciated a huge amount because of all the expats moving to the area. Expats are settling in a few different areas and if you like expats, you'll enjoy those areas. I prefer local people in Panama but that's just me. Here in Bali, I'd love to meet expats - don't know why, but I need to have some friends that I have things in common with. Getting back to Panama, the fishing is amazing - I am a fisherwoman - love it! Haven't fished here - I've been told it's a total waste of time.

Don't always believe everything you read in Escape Artist or International Living. I know a LOT about Panama and they paint a bit of a different picture from the way things usually are.

dave gede

Feb 10, 2007
adelaide
Hi B&P the fishing in the east is as good as anywhere i have been just as would be the case anywhere it does fall into seasons. The Dolphinfish are as big as any in Australia not to mention other game fish like you also have in Panama. Sailfish/ Marlin and Tuna the common things caught by locals are a bit sad and small the mackerel particularly oh well at least none of it gets wasted as it does in other more choosy countries. The contacts with other people from similar coutries of origin to me seems quite easy go to the main tourist places have a drink somewhere interact as long as you like and then go back to your local life in Bali. I myself sometimes when in Bali do this but this is mostly due to wanting to speak English/Dutch for a while and give my brain a chance to switch off my limited Balinese also Indonesian for awhile anyway all the best and enjoy your time in Bali.

kauaibobby

Oct 27, 2007
santa cruz, california, usa
Hello evryone
Bali and panama
I am planning on moving to Bali soon, still have a few more things do here in California.
I looked into moving to Boca Del Toro, Panama, But Bali sounds better.
Although i never been to neither panama or Bali, and would like to go to both places.
Just before deciding on Bali i thought alot about moving to Phuket, Thailand.
If i move to bali i want to make new friends and wondered where to meet other english speaking people like yourself.
I would like to learn to speak indonesian, but that will take sometime to learn.
Bali Panama where is your place in Panama.
thats it for now
bobby

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
kauaibobby said:
Hello evryone
Bali and panama
I am planning on moving to Bali soon, still have a few more things do here in California.
I looked into moving to Boca Del Toro, Panama, But Bali sounds better.
Although i never been to neither panama or Bali, and would like to go to both places.
Just before deciding on Bali i thought alot about moving to Phuket, Thailand.
If i move to bali i want to make new friends and wondered where to meet other english speaking people like yourself.
I would like to learn to speak indonesian, but that will take sometime to learn.
Bali Panama where is your place in Panama.
thats it for now
bobby
I am not sure if this is the kind of place you are looking for, but who knows!!! just in case, http://www.biwa-bali.org, there is a mixture of indonesian and foreigners woman although I just noted it before used to be more foreigners.
I was in Panama more than 20 years ago and I had one of my best experiences in my life, on the archipielago San Blas living with the indios cunas for a few weeks and being on my own in one island.....realmente una experiencia unica y dificil de olvidar!!!! hehehe the hardest thing it was to sleep in the nights on the hamacas.......... imagino que hablaras un poquito de español!!! sorry I just felt like to share the good memories......
http://www.yamp.com/kupukupu

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
sorry bobby, I have not idea why appear as well your text!!! I must did something wrong!!! I am new here and getting to know how things are working

Git

Jul 16, 2005
dutch /indonesian in the usa for now
Dear Bobby
Its not easy getting a visa for Bali if you want to "Move" there. You need an Indonesian wife/social 6 month/ Business/or retirement visa,loads of red tape!
Why not give it a try first on a 'tourist visa" (one month) is verry simple. Most people love it so much they keep comming back,some people its NOT their thing. Its nothing like the "Western culture" your used to in california.
I live in calif. But all my relatives live on Bali(I stay with them),I come often,And never get tired of it.
GT

Git

Jul 16, 2005
dutch /indonesian in the usa for now
Bobby said:"I would like to learn to speak indonesian, but that will take sometime to learn"............................

Best way to learn is living with Indonesians(on bali),The more you struggle the more you learn,Books or tapes are useless in my oppinion.If you hang around "English speaking people" you will speak English?

Bahasa Indonesia is different than Balinese.

GT

kauaibobby

Oct 27, 2007
santa cruz, california, usa
i tried a tape to learn indonesian but very difficult to remember.
I heard that before, that is a lot easier to learn with the people that speak the language.
I was wondering that about bali,if Baliinese speak a different language than most indonesian speak.
Gina, thank you for the advise and i will follow it.
bye for now

JenPen

Dec 3, 2007
Perth, West Australia
Hi Bali and Panama,
I'm moving to Bali in April with my family and have just been there checking things out. Have you looked at the Canggu Club ? Not sure if it is what you're looking for but it seems to be a social hub for expats - albeit wealthy ones. Has lots of activities etc - check out the website http://www.cangguclb.com. I'm hoping my children will go to the Canggu Community School so we will all get to use the facilities at the club.

bali and panama

Jan 16, 2008
kerobokan, Bali
Hello All,
Thanks for all the suggestions! I am going to a Hash House Harriers "run" today, although I'm not a runner. I'll see if I meet anyone. This forum has given me the opportunity to meet a few really nice people - thank you!

Kauaibobby - don't get disenchanted by some of the posts about the difficulties of getting a visa. It's very easy if you watn to do it. You can send me an email directly and I'll give you the info.

I lived in southern California for 18 years. My career was there and I was lucky and able to retire at a younger age than normal. Bali and Panama are my new "homes"! My goal is to split my time between the two. As of now, I spent 2 years in Panama and 1 in Bali. I have property in the Bocas area but I lived in Boquete and also spent 6 months living in the Darien.

Anyway, anyone else that wants to make friends, just let me know. Don't misunderstand me, please - I'm looking for friends - nothing else!!!
Thanks!

orienta

Mar 11, 2008
Hi There

I have seen your mail seeking to meet people. I am also a single female planning to retire early in Bali. Have visited often but now am building my house in canngu. Will be there for a few weeks beginning of May. If you wish to meet up, send me an e mail on [email protected]

thanks again and hope to meet up.

p.s. on my last visit, I realised that there is a sports club in Canngu where many expats visit. Perhaps it is worth a try.

Best regards

Mariella - Malta