ozbuckley

Aug 24, 2011
realconstipationremedies.com
Hey Guys,

Just wondering how much seafood is at a local market like Jimbaran Bay? price for a kilogram of prawns, tuna, local fish, etc.?

I hear that dawn is the time to get down there with all the fishing boats arriving and there are only locals about.

Also how much is the meat at the Western owned Butchers in Bali? Ive heard there are some located in Sanur.

I really look forward to hearing from you all soon,

Cheers,

Oz

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Just wondering how much seafood is at a local market like Jimbaran Bay? price for a kilogram of prawns, tuna, local fish, etc.?
Like alphonso says, it can depend on fiddling the scales. Kedonganan (Jimbaran) fish market is a bit out of the way for many people. It's OK to visit, have a look around and maybe buy something. Probably best to bring your own bucket and some ice, although most of the sellers will give you ice, if you ask them. I've been going there for many years; however, I don't think the prices you get are all that spectacular. Fish, prawns, octopus, lobsters and squid are all there. Bargain hard. Most of it is fairly fresh.

I love my prawns. Most of the time these days, I buy them from Lotte Mart (formerly "Makro"), on the ByPass Road (halfway between Kuta and Sanur). The strange thing is that the price for their king prawns has been the same for many years (Rp 82,500/kg). Never changes. Smaller prawns vary in price (approx Rp 40-50,000/kg). It's been a long mystery to me. Just lately, they've been selling the very big prawns for about Rp 125,000/kg. Unfortunately, most of the fish they sell is very poor quality.

If you like a bit of adventure, you can also go to Benoa Harbour to buy tuna straight off the fishing boats that come in there. Most of it gets sold to the big companies around there for export, but you can be lucky.

If you want "fresh" imported meat, you won't find it in Sanur. Yes, there is an Australian butcher shop (Raja Meats), but it's run by locals. All their stuff is frozen and generally expensive. "Butchers" in Bali usually have no idea how to butcher meat properly. Carrefour on the Sunset Road has reasonable quality imported meats (expensive), and a seafood section (also expensive).

If your teeth and jaws are strong enough, you could buy local meat (much cheaper). Best to treat it with papaya leaves to tenderise before cooking. Local pork is cheap, of course. I use it to make schnitzels, satays, the occasional roast pork, etc, and it's good.

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
I buy my tuna from a cafe in Canggu. He gets it daily from one of the big export companies in Benoa Harbour.Costs me 75.000rp per kilo, this is fillet, so just fish , no bones.l think it's a bargain. I just call him in the morning and collect it that afternoon.The times l have gone to Jimbaran l have found lots of unfresh fish, sure some is fresh but overall for a fish market it is average.l used to have my fishing boat moored next to the market, so l often walked through it after returning from a fishing trip.Best to meet the boats on the beach when they come in. A fair amount of the catch gets taken away direct from the boats and never makes it to the market.many vendors keep the fish for days if unsold,most put it in boxes with ice, but as the ice melts it turns into a box of water. The fish then bloats. The refrigaration expertise of the vendors is at best poor.

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
Don't know about prawns but at the Jimbaran fish market Tuna is around 15k per kilo on average depending on season and weather conditions. Cheapest I've gotten it was 11k. Other fish will really depend on the type of fish but usually never more than 30k.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Why is it that most cafes and restaurants in Bali only serve tuna?

In my opinion, it's such a boring fish to eat. It's rarely moist, just dry and tasteless. I'll only eat it raw, as sashimi.

There are so many other wonderful fish to buy in Bali, but rarely are they available in cafes. Is it because tuna's cheap?

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
In my opinion, it's such a boring fish to eat. It's rarely moist, just dry and tasteless.
It's maybe because Balinese, (and Indonesians in general), don't know how to cook seafood properly. Strange, really, considering the 17,000 islands in this archipelago.

Worst cooked seafood in the world, unfortunately.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Ozbuckley, it appears you are in Sanur. For good seafood try the Kesuma Beach Restaurant. The guy who cooks the seafood there has a head like a robber's dog but actually understands how to cook seafood.
They have some damn big prawns and some very nice fish. This restaurant would possibly be the best budget seafood restaurant in Bali. It is locate at Mertasari Beach which is in the southern end of Sanur.
SPS Products is run by a German butcher, (Sven Hollinger) the meat they turn out is very good. They do daily deliveries to Sanur. Many restaurants get their meat from Sven. Send me a PM and I will put you onto contacts to get meat delivered to Sanur.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Like alphonso says, it can depend on fiddling the scales. Kedonganan (Jimbaran) fish market is a bit out of the way for many people. It's OK to visit, have a look around and maybe buy something. Probably best to bring your own bucket and some ice, although most of the sellers will give you ice, if you ask them. I've been going there for many years; however, I don't think the prices you get are all that spectacular. Fish, prawns, octopus, lobsters and squid are all there. Bargain hard. Most of it is fairly fresh.

I love my prawns. Most of the time these days, I buy them from Lotte Mart (formerly "Makro"), on the ByPass Road (halfway between Kuta and Sanur). The strange thing is that the price for their king prawns has been the same for many years (Rp 82,500/kg). Never changes. Smaller prawns vary in price (approx Rp 40-50,000/kg). It's been a long mystery to me. Just lately, they've been selling the very big prawns for about Rp 125,000/kg. Unfortunately, most of the fish they sell is very poor quality.

If you like a bit of adventure, you can also go to Benoa Harbour to buy tuna straight off the fishing boats that come in there. Most of it gets sold to the big companies around there for export, but you can be lucky.

If you want "fresh" imported meat, you won't find it in Sanur. Yes, there is an Australian butcher shop (Raja Meats), but it's run by locals. All their stuff is frozen and generally expensive. "Butchers" in Bali usually have no idea how to butcher meat properly. Carrefour on the Sunset Road has reasonable quality imported meats (expensive), and a seafood section (also expensive).

If your teeth and jaws are strong enough, you could buy local meat (much cheaper). Best to treat it with papaya leaves to tenderise before cooking. Local pork is cheap, of course. I use it to make schnitzels, satays, the occasional roast pork, etc, and it's good.
This certainly echos my experience. The only thing I might add is early arrival as the prawns (shrimp) sit in ice till it becomes water and continues to stay there rotting.

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Has anyone in the north brought Shrimp from the huge Shrimp farm just past Siririt?. I was in there visiting a mate a few months back and forgot to ask if they sell to the public.

ozbuckley

Aug 24, 2011
realconstipationremedies.com
Thankyou

Thanks to everyone for the replies! AMAZING!! :icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen:

Gives me a great idea where I can pick up some fresh prawns and fish. YUMMMM!

I have another question: Whats your favourite fish to eat in Bali? Whats some of the best tasting local fish on offer?

Thanks again guys, your incredible!!

Oz

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
(In no particular order)...

Kakap merah (Red Snapper)
Kakap putih (Barramundi)
Tenggiri (Spanish Mackerel)
Tongkol (Tuna)
Layaran (Marlin) (I used to smoke it myself using coconut husks on a hibachi)
Teri Jengki (Hardenberg's Anchovy)
Kurisi (Bream)
Kerapu (Grouper)
Mahi-mahi (Dolphin fish - not Dolphins)
Hiu (Shark)
Gurami (freshwater fish - no good if from dirty water because they taste like mud - otherwise, excellent steamed Chinese-style)

Please note that many fish varieties in Indonesia are caught illegally. If you care about environmental issues, they should be avoided. As in many areas, fish stocks are dwindling.