Looking for company taking care of renting out my future property in Bali

Liza Van der Stock

Feb 20, 2021
I'm interested in investing in a property in Bali and I'm wondering if there are reliable firms that take care of renting out the property when I am not there.

Does anyone have good experiences with this? Any leads I can follow?

Thanks a million!

Does anyone have good experiences with this?

Kind regards,

Liza

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I'm interested in investing in a property in Bali and I'm wondering if there are reliable firms that take care of renting out the property when I am not there.

Does anyone have good experiences with this? Any leads I can follow?

Thanks a million!

Does anyone have good experiences with this?

Kind regards,

Liza
Type "property" into the search bar at the top of the page. There is a lot of information already posted about the many hazards in "buying" property.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I have a friend with a villa in Seminyak and he uses Elite Havens. Not cheap, but he says they are professional.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
If you haven't already bought a property, then I would say avoid it. Even more so. It is a headache dealing with the various problems even if you are living here.

I remember a guy who ran a hotel remotely. Some of his stories about his staff did while he was away were hilarious. Like one time the manager had her brother paint all of the rooms pink. Of course she presented him with an inflated bill and he then had to repaint the rooms.

We were just staying in an almost new villa in Seminyak and the walls already had cracks and mold.

If you are still interested, I would suggest contacting these guys: http://www.balivillamanager.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: JackStraw

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
If you haven't already bought a property, then I would say avoid it. Even more so. It is a headache dealing with the various problems even if you are living here.

I remember a guy who ran a hotel remotely. Some of his stories about his staff did while he was away were hilarious. Like one time the manager had her brother paint all of the rooms pink. Of course she presented him with an inflated bill and he then had to repaint the rooms.

We were just staying in an almost new villa in Seminyak and the walls already had cracks and mold.
There is no doubt that walls will be cracking all over Bali, due to the fact that much of the black sand used in the cement is beach sand illegally harvested from the black sand beaches of west Bali. This sand contains a substantial amount of salt which after mixed with cement soon leaches out causing weak areas wherever applied.
Quality contractors aware of this failing insist on sand from fresh water, but how frequently will the unknowing building purchaser be aware of that fact?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
There is no doubt that walls will be cracking all over Bali, due to the fact that much of the black sand used in the cement is beach sand illegally harvested from the black sand beaches of west Bali. This sand contains a substantial amount of salt which after mixed with cement soon leaches out causing weak areas wherever applied.
Quality contractors aware of this failing insist on sand from fresh water, but how frequently will the unknowing building purchaser be aware of that fact?
Wait! What? you mean that the endless columns of sand and gravel trucks leaving Karangasem and headed south are using that sand for something else?

None of it comes from any beaches but is quarried right here in the neighborhood. Even the sand for building on the Gilis is imported from Lombok because of the high salt content of their local sand.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Wait! What? you mean that the endless columns of sand and gravel trucks leaving Karangasem and headed south are using that sand for something else?

None of it comes from any beaches but is quarried right here in the neighborhood. Even the sand for building on the Gilis is imported from Lombok because of the high salt content of their local sand.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Surely you aren’t stating that ALL new projects are using sand in the cement from non-beach sand? With all the recent posts referring to cheap construction with cracking walls what could be more basic to that construction than poor components?
It’s the age old problem of diverse motivation between the contractor and project owner.
Wherever it occurs in Bali, the US or you name it the contractor wants to max his profit while said project owner wants to minimize his costs.

Reactions: tel522

harryopal

May 5, 2016
A tricky issue seems to be that of maintenance in the case of leaseholds where it seems owners may assert that any maintenance matters are the responsibility of the leaseholder. Is this legal, custom or a matter of who surrenders first?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Surely you aren’t stating that ALL new projects are using sand in the cement from non-beach sand? With all the recent posts referring to cheap construction with cracking walls what could be more basic to that construction than poor components?
It’s the age old problem of diverse motivation between the contractor and project owner.
Wherever it occurs in Bali, the US or you name it the contractor wants to max his profit while said project owner wants to minimize his costs.
I don't know for a fact that no sand it used from beaches but I would suggest that any banjar wouldn't last long that was short sighted enough to sell off it's beaches, bearing in mind the example of Candi Dasa that tore up it's coral reef in the 80s for local construction and has deeply regretted it ever since along with any architect that would allow his construction to be made with salty sand.

I would suggest that the problem with substandard concrete would more likely be with the lack of cement in the mix not salt in the sand.

When I did my build I had the builders make on site the batako (breeze blocks) so I could control the mix and (touch wood) have had zero problems with cracking walls in 13 years.

Reactions: Balifrog and Fred2

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
I don't know for a fact that no sand it used from beaches but I would suggest that any banjar wouldn't last long that was short sighted enough to sell off it's beaches, bearing in mind the example of Candi Dasa that tore up it's coral reef in the 80s for local construction and has deeply regretted it ever since along with any architect that would allow his construction to be made with salty sand.

I would suggest that the problem with substandard concrete would more likely be with the lack of cement in the mix not salt in the sand.

When I did my build I had the builders make on site the batako (breeze blocks) so I could control the mix and (touch wood) have had zero problems with cracking walls in 13 years.
Won’t get into the influence of banjars as situations vary, but will attest to the weakness of salt compromised sand as have had personal experience that fortunately occurred with projects subsequent to my home construction.
What happened at Candi Dasa was a novel failure that has no relevance to this situation which is ongoing at this time.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Won’t get into the influence of banjars as situations vary, but will attest to the weakness of salt compromised sand as have had personal experience that fortunately occurred with projects subsequent to my home construction.
What happened at Candi Dasa was a novel failure that has no relevance to this situation which is ongoing at this time.
Sure situations vary but you won't find anyone willing to sell off their beach now (not for cement for sure) - world sand price is astronomic cause every fecker wants a beach in front of the high-rises/villas. Building sand can not be used to build a beach, hence the endless columns of sand/gravel trucks from here.

What I don't understand is if everyone is bankrupt cause no tourists and nobody can come here cause of corona WHO is using all the fecking sand???

What "situation which is ongoing at this time."??

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
What I don't understand is if everyone is bankrupt cause no tourists and nobody can come here cause of corona WHO is using all the fecking sand??

According to the Observatory of Economic Complexity (OEC) the world's largest importer of sand is Singapore, which imports 13% of the world's sand. After Singapore the next largest importers of sand are Canada (11%), Belgium-Luxembourg (9%), Netherlands (6.2%), Germany (4.4%), and Mexico (4.4%).25.04.2017

Top 20 Sand Exporting Countries - WorldAtlaswww.worldatlas.com › Economics

Reactions: Markit

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Sure situations vary but you won't find anyone willing to sell off their beach now (not for cement for sure) - world sand price is astronomic cause every fecker wants a beach in front of the high-rises/villas. Building sand can not be used to build a beach, hence the endless columns of sand/gravel trucks from here.

What I don't understand is if everyone is bankrupt cause no tourists and nobody can come here cause of corona WHO is using all the fecking sand???

What "situation which is ongoing at this time."??
Let me clarify some of what I know, and attempt to project upon the rest.
First off despite what appears to be ownership by some large hotel beach fronts the beaches of the RI are deemed public domain and any sand removal from those beaches is illegal when removed for sale. This theft is enforced when known by civil police (or is supposed to be).
The sand you see from Karangasem is from the bukit, and although black typically has some white flecks from white limestone that will distinguish it from black sand beach.
Secondly the incongruity of having this economic depression in Bali along with numerous large building projects at the same time can be explained by those projects having commenced prior to the pandemic. If there is belief in the long term picture it isn’t a conflict when funds were available in inception.
What is more the downturn is a good time to build when labor is cheap and without a bunch of tourists blocking traffic.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017

Buy when there is blood in the streets.

Warren Buffett

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The sand you see from Karangasem is from the bukit, and although black typically has some white flecks from white limestone that will distinguish it from black sand beach.
The sand you see FROM Karangasem is from quarries up on Agung (Selat) and by Tulamben.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
What is your problem? Shorts too tight?
My problem is you keep saying the sand used in Bali is all from your fecking beach and I diplomatically wanted to know what the thousands of trucks going down the road from quaries here are doing with all that grit!

I'm really straining to not say "You're fecking Wrong!" in the nicest possible way but have about had it.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
My problem is you keep saying the sand used in Bali is all from your fecking beach and I diplomatically wanted to know what the thousands of trucks going down the road from quaries here are doing with all that grit!

I'm really straining to not say "You're fecking Wrong!" in the nicest possible way but have about had it.
There may be a misprint here. Are you stating that you are “diplomatic” ?