Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
I'm afraid, when it comes to culinary arts, the french and italians are a few hundred decades ahead of indonesians - for me at least

Geez, Balilife, is there anything you like about Indonesia??

When my wife finally arrives next month I'm looking forward to not having to touch western food EVER again in all my life (with the exception of Nanna's lamb roast :wink: ) Indo tucker is great and Western food doesn't even compare IMHO. Maybe you need to stop being paranoid about your hygeine so much and try REAL Indo food cooked in a REAL kampung with fresh local ingredients. Restaurant food is ok, but not the real deal. And for me at least, I'd certainly choose a pack of Indomie over anything French - butter,garlic and onions smothered on everything doesn't do much for me all the time :roll: .

Humble Whoppers will stay on the menu from time to time but :mrgreen:

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
In our area, at least, of East Java there is heaps of Fat Tailed Sheep, which are an animal that I've not seen or noticed anywhere else in the world. They look like a white goat/sheep mongrel crossbreed thing and taste halfway in between too. Quite a strange lookin beastie, does anyone know anymore about these things???

G

Gurkha

Actually, goat is good - if you cook it the right way. I normally brine a leg with a cider vinegar brine and then cook it over charcoal, on a rotisserie. Much leaner than lamb. If you have small pieces, it makes a great curry. Alternatively, minced makes an interesting burger. Last time I was in Mexico, I went to a colleagues house where he served what can only be described as 'goat haggis'. Interesting, to say the least.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
I cook kambing leg by boiling it wih rosemary, and enjoy it more than pork or beef. Lately, for some reason it hasn't been available at Lotte where I have purchased it before.
From what I read goat is supposed to be lower in fat than chicken (including chicken breast), which is another plus for me.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Ever tried cooking a leg of goat in a slow cooker? Can use half a bottle or rough red and slow cook for 8 hours on low heat. The meat literally falls off the bone. (A few spuds and onions thrown in come out delicious after 8 hours in the wine.)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
There is some ceremony here that the Muslims celebrate (before Xmas?) where they need a goat as part of the whole thing and you could see them tied up on every road junction for a couple of weeks.

I go sometimes to a sate joint here in Amlapura across from the and enjoy (sort of). They are tasty but tough as old shoes. Would love to have more detailed info and (dare I ask it?) recipes?

G

Gurkha

The important thing is to get a young goat, preferably female or a castrated male (less goat smell). In Northern Mexico, goat is cooked as 'cabrito' (slow BBQ). The spanish roast it, stuffed with fennel androsemary and in Nepal, they do it stuffed with green papaya and slow cook it. It appears that slow cooking is the main issue. In fact, on Bouganville Island, the early settlers only had feral goats to eat and would slow cook an entire goat - 'Du Barbe a Queue" ( from the beard to the tail) hence the word BARBECUE.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The important thing is to get a young goat, preferably female or a castrated male (less goat smell). In Northern Mexico, goat is cooked as 'cabrito' (slow BBQ). The spanish roast it, stuffed with fennel androsemary and in Nepal, they do it stuffed with green papaya and slow cook it. It appears that slow cooking is the main issue. In fact, on Bouganville Island, the early settlers only had feral goats to eat and would slow cook an entire goat - 'Du Barbe a Queue" ( from the beard to the tail) hence the word BARBECUE.

Don'tcha just love this forum?

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
There is some ceremony here that the Muslims celebrate (before Xmas?) where they need a goat as part of the whole thing and you could see them tied up on every road junction for a couple of weeks.

I go sometimes to a sate joint here in Amlapura across from the and enjoy (sort of). They are tasty but tough as old shoes. Would love to have more detailed info and (dare I ask it?) recipes?

The ceremony is probably Idul Adha.... The feast of the sacrifice, where god supposedly tested abrahams willingness to sacrifice his son, then made the switch to a goat instead at the last moment.

About the cooking of the goat, buy a slow cooker, preferably with the heating elements around the sides of the cooker, not only on the bottom. They are not expensive. I bought mine in Ranch Market in Jakarta for around Rp. 700,000. As for recipes, google abounds with them. The best part is, it only takes 15 to 20 minutes to prepare the food. Look here for a couple of recipes, and most of the ingredients should be available in Bali. http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Cook-Goat-in-a-Crockpot&id=4870674

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud

Its also the same in Java, if Balinese think that Babi guling is a delicacy, its the same with Kambing Guling for Javanese, it is roast slowly with various spices and served with sambal kecap.
They used to served kambing guling in big wedding ceremonies and it will be finished way before the other foods.
When I was a child, my grandfather used to order one kambing guling for the family gathering, a tradition that brought us fun memories until now.

Theres another kind of Goat variety that I could recommend to all of you, and its tongseng kambing, it looks like a curry but much more tasty and spicy, if you love padang food, I would recommend you try tongseng, unfortunately I cant find a decent tongseng in Bali until now

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The ceremony is probably Idul Adha.... The feast of the sacrifice, where god supposedly tested abrahams willingness to sacrifice his son, then made the switch to a goat instead at the last moment.

About the cooking of the goat, buy a slow cooker

Have recently learned that you can do the same "slow cooker" magic with an automatic rice cooker!

Recently moved on Movie Critic Roger Ebert explains: The pot and how to use it | Roger Ebert's Journal | Roger Ebert

Haven't tried it yet but it is on my list.