Is Moving to Bali Realistic??

JAMIE

Apr 20, 2005
BERGEN COUNTY NJ USA
Welcome to the forum "waves" ..I have a question ..what if a person traveled to Bali an a 30 day visa and did nothing and a year latter showed up at the airport to leave ? What would happen to that person ? I know in the USA a person on a travel visa that expired who shows up to the airport would just be let go ? Is it the same in Bali ? Does someone on the street stop expat looking people and check the visa status of that person ? Just something Ive been wondering ..thats jamie

UluwatuWaves

Jun 30, 2006
Norfolk, VA at the moment
The Homeland security joke was Grrreeeaat... I have dual citizenship so technically I am a "Yank" and a "POM". But not really a "POM" because i was born in Nairobi, Kenya to British parents. I have lived In Africa and the US. But you see the thing is I have never lived in the UK just visited family and friends there. The UK is so expensive these days with 1 GBP equal to $2 USD. I wouldnt be able to afford going over there if i didnt have family and friends to stay with there. Wimbledon just started so there is a lot of buzz in the air. And unfortunately England lost today against Portugal in the world cup. Bummer... Technically I was an expat before i got naturalized in america but I never referred to myself as an expat and i dont think my name and expat have ever been mentioned in the same sentence. At least i have never told anyone I was an expat in africa or america. I think it sounds silly, thats all.. I referred to my UK passport because when I travel I use my british passport more then I use my american passport. I guess it is the fact theat right now in the world a lot of people are angry at us americans. so i try not to advertise that I am an american. i am sure people who travel a lot probaly understand. so matsaleh dont jump to conclusions to quickly. :) Many people ask my why i dont have a british accent when I tell them I am british. I say, "How about some tea and crumpets," in my best brit impersonation and thern say "was that good enough." In fact when I was in Bali last august every local Balinese thought i was automatically australian. The balinese would say something to the efect of, "Aussie, aussie, aussie". Then i would say something to the effect of, "Not quite but damn close, try again." i guess the balinese can t tell the difference between and american and aussie accent. Funny thing is i have never even been Down under all though i am longing for the day to visit.

To answer that person's question about arriving in Bali with a 30 day tourist visa and then over staying your 30 day visa by 11 months and just showing up at the airport. Were you reccomending to me that that is what i should do? Cause that is stupid. ANyone who has travelled in third world coutries knows better. For some reason I think the Bali immigration at the airport would think you were a lunatic and then charge the $20 USD for every day you over extended your visa.. i read somewhere that you could also be arrested and charged the $20 a day penalty as well. well $20 * approx. 345 days = $6,900 USD. Thats alot to pay for some types like myself... I cant imagine that they would expect someone to pay that though. they would probably just lock you up with those Aussie Drug smugglers' in the local prison for a couple of days to scare the beejeebees out of you and then let you go..

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Apologies for jumping to conclusions regarding your country of origin, Waves. :oops:

Regarding the 30 day Visa-on-Arrival (VoA), according to Balidiscovery's Visa Guide for Bali, overstaying a 30 day visa could indeed, land you in prison. :shock:
Visas-on-arrival are non-extendable and non-convertible to another class of visa. Overstays are charged US$20 per day for over stays up to 60 days. Overstay violations over 60 days are liable to 5 years imprisonment or a fine of Rp. 25 million.
http://www.balidiscovery.com/other/visa_policy.asp

UluwatuWaves

Jun 30, 2006
No Worries Matsaleh.. You would think they would just let you leave the countryt instead of stuffing you in a prison, which is quite uneconomical for them and stupid. I seriously doubt that any tourist has been imprisoned thought for overstaying their visa, maybe severely fined. I just find it hard to believe that you check in at the airport and then go through customs and they find out that you have overstayed your vise so they arrest you. i would be very interested to see whether any tourist has actually ever been thrown in jail for overstaying several months not just a couple of days. if anyone knows of someone who has been put in jail for this let me know because I think it is actual against international law. the govt. just says it does to scare people from doing just that though. tell me what you think.

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Waves

Stuffing you in prison is not uneconomical for them. You have to pay to be in jail. I don't know about Indonesians but if you are a non indoneasian you have to pay for everything.

Rumor has it you have to pay your visa up also when they let you out of jail. (Don't know if that is true only heard it in conversation in Bali once).

And Welcome.

UluwatuWaves

Jun 30, 2006
Tina... it is a scary thought... I wonder where the draw the line for overstays in days or weeks or months even before they arrest you.... do you know anyone that has been arrested for overstaying their visa? It seems like the Indonesian goverenment just loves extorting tourists any way possible... In most countries including Kenya where i was born they would just let you through immigration and give you a warning the first time... seems pretty rediculous that in bali they would arrest you for that...

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
The worst “horror story” I’ve ever heard about visa over-stays concerns an American expat...to remain nameless, (but it’s not me), who forgot the lessons of Ben Franklin, in particular, the one about being “penny wise and pound foolish.”

The irony of this story, which I guess is not proper to introduce before the story, nonetheless, is that he used to “brag” almost incessantly at Nuri’s about how “clever” he was and how much money he was saving.

So, this is what he was up to. In order to avoid the expense of leaving Indonesia for Singapore or otherwise to renew his tourist visa, he worked out a “deal” with the immigration office at Ngurah Rai, where for a “fee” they would stamp his passport with both an exit and re-entry stamp, dated appropriately, which ostensibly saved the time and expense of leaving the country. This is back when a non visa entry, from the US, was good for sixty days.

He got away with this approach for quite a number of years, but when the visa regulations were changed, and the head immigration office in Denpasar cracked down on the satellite office in Ngurah Rai, he suddenly found himself caught between that proverbial “rock and a hard place.”

What really happened to him is still a matter of speculation and conjecture, as after all, a man can only swallow so much pride. But, for a long while, almost half a year, our friend was nowhere to be seen, and when he finally returned from the states, a place he hadn’t returned to in many a year, it was explained that his dear dad was ill, and he had to go home.

I think the lesson here is NOT to play...AT ALL, with visa regulations, or immigration.
What is the point, assuming that Bali has been selected as “home” to attempt to save a few hundred, or even a few thousand dollars, just to result in Bali no longer being home? That is monumentally stupid in my view...and worthy of a nomination to the annual Darwin Awards.

I’m working on my “ten commandments” for successful life in Bali, but I can offer commandment number one: NO DRUGS...period, and number two, DON’T MESS WITH IMMIGRATION. I’ve got a third, but I don’t know where to work it in on my list of ten, but it is NO DENIM SAPUKS. Any suggestions to complete my two tablets will be greatly appreciated!

ChadM

Jun 13, 2006
Denver, Colorado USA
I've thrown a couple of queries up on other threads, but I'm very new here as well, and have read what I think is the bulk of this forum. I live in Colorado and I, too, after several visits to Bali, and a LOT of studying and learning about the history and culture there, am considering the possibility of a life in Bali. It's nice that there are other expats who have walked the path before me and are willing to help make it easier for those who follow.

I am planning on returning to Bali yet again in late November (so I can be there for Galungan this time -- I missed it by just a few days in May) and I think this time, I'll look at things there with less of a tourist's eye, and more of a potential resident's eye.

Good advice all around on this thread... I would NEVER try to usurp any country's immigration laws. It just wouldn't be worth the risk (to me) to have the entire country of Indonesia declared "off-limits" to me. Living abroad is almost always complex for anyone; I can understand the temptation to try and circumvent the bureaucracy, but part of me is glad it's somewhat difficult to do. If it was easy, everyone would do it!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Yes, the next Galungan is November 29.

I’m curious though why you particularly want to be in Bali during Galungan? As you know, that is “ancestor” day for the Balinese and they pretty much spend the entire day with their families. Aside from offerings made at the ancestral temples and other parts of their compounds, there is little public ceremony going on at that time.

I ask this because some years ago I ran into another foreigner who felt this strange “calling” (for lack of a better word) to be in Bali during Galungan. I took this person to my Guru/cum Balian and even before we could mention the reason for our visit he was already telling this person they had ancestral roots to Bali. He explained later that he could immediately tell that because of specific aspects of this person’s aura.

I know that a lot of non Balinese have difficulty differentiating between outright “hocus pocus” and the truly magical or Niskala, (the unseen) that is very real here. Initially I too was a “die hard” doubting Thomas, but I’ve seen too much to doubt it now.

Over many years I have come to the conclusion that the most happy and successful expats in Bali are those, who in one degree or another, have embraced Bali, attend ceremonies and like you, have taken the time to learn as much as they can about the culture.

If you are close to a Balinese family, being invited to spend Galungan with them is a very special treat, as that day is devoted to ancestors and family. Many Balinese, (not all by any means) would be cautious about the chances of introducing unfavorable karma into their compounds at that time. On the other hand, other Balinese are quite good at judging character and would feel confident to share the experience of Galungan with an outsider.

Good luck with your future plans to move to Bali. Who knows, maybe we will meet up this coming Galungan.

ChadM

Jun 13, 2006
Denver, Colorado USA
Hi Roy... yes, I have some good friends who are Balinese, and as you mentioned, one of the most fascinating things to me about the island is the rich culture there, so learning and experiencing more about it is always appealing to me, even if I have to do so as an outsider. I'm just completely enamoured of the Balinese people's strong devotion to their gods and to their beautiful and balanced religion, and the more I can be exposed to it, and the more I can learn, the better. I've often told friends here that while I might not be able to live permanently in Bali NOW since I've become so accustomed to my particular standard and style of living here in the U.S., the truth is that if I could be reincarnated, I would absolutely choose to come back as a Balinese. Such a strong and content people with such a deep tapestry of family and community. Quite the polar opposite of what exists here. Apart from all this, I've never visited Bali during the rainy season and have long wanted to. :)

My understanding was that Galungan kicks off a 10-day island-wide celebration in which it's believed that not only ancestors' spirits, but those of the deities as well, descend to Bali to commune and celebrate with its residents. I've been there twice now right on the cusp of Galungan, and have seen all of the preparation and decorating (for lack of a better word) in the villages.

The fact that the next Galungan coincides roughly with the American Thanksgiving holiday (within a week or so) makes it more appealing as a time to be away from work for me -- it's less busy as we head into the holiday season, and I don't have to use as much of my vacation time since there is a paid holiday in there! Ever the pragmatist... :)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hi Chad. I'm not sure what the rainy season is anymore. For the past several weeks in Ubud the weather has been far more like rainy season weather than dry season weather!

Yes, the period between Galungan and Kuningan is the 10 days you mention. If you have a copy of Fred Eiseman's book, Bali, Sekala & Niskala (seen and unseen) you can read some very in depth details about this period in the Balinese calendar. If you don't have Fred's books, they are a MUST read for any serious Baliophile.

So, we'll see you in November then!

ChadM

Jun 13, 2006
Denver, Colorado USA
"Baliophile"... I like this word! :) Where would I get my hands on the book you mentioned, Roy? I was in Ubud quite recently (about a month or so ago), and didn't get rained on at all -- I must have hit it just right!

I met an expat in Seminyak on my most recent trip to Bali. He moved there from New York and has lived there for six years now, started a small exporting business, and says his life is so much more centered and enjoyable now. I bet he can't even imagine going back to the hectic rat race in NYC.

As for me, my life isn't stressful, and I very much love where I live; I just find Bali to be so different and so enjoyable, I think the prospect of living there, even if only for a few years, would be such a meaningful addition to my life's journey. We'll see how it all pans out!

ChadM

Jun 13, 2006
Denver, Colorado USA
Roy -- I got my copy delivered a few days ago and have only just started to delve into it. I got Volume 1, but I see there's a Volume 2, as well. I also bought a copy of A House in Bali by Colin McPhee, apparently one of the seminal books on life in Bali, told from a musician's perspective as he was drawn there in the 1930s by the clarion call of the gamelan! Interesting!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Both of those books can put a person well on a expertly navigated path to utter Bali intoxication, that is for certain.

I just realized again the initial topic title of this string. It is, “is moving to Bali realistic?”

So, I gave this a lot of thought, and have come up with some tips to assure that anyone’s move to Bali can be realistic:

1) Never tell your family you are about to do this, or inform them that you have already moved here for at least a year. Use visa problem, cancelled flights, a bout of malaria, even a dog bite to buy you time before you have to inform them of your decision and that you already have moved into your house.

2) Avoid world news, be it through TV, radio or newspapers at all costs. All that craziness will only remind you just how unrealistic you have been by moving here.

3) Seek out other expats with similar views as your own as a “support system.” In your first year or so of life here, even the Balinese can be reminders, or at least devil’s advocates, of how “unrealistic” you may have been.

4) Take up yoga. All that deep breathing and stretching of the body is much more healthy than martinis, not to mention that watching your young female or male yoga instructor (your preference), is a powerful incentive for you to accept your decision as highly realistic.

5) Same as four, in a way. After Yoga, a good two hour massage with music of your chose will destroy, once and for all, all those doubts about being “realistic.”

NED

Jun 4, 2005
Sydney
Love it Roy, especially 3 and 4.

Not sure though that you are seriously suggesting that replacing martini's with yoga is a serious option. :p

Ned