Iraq, the French and the Germans and the Russians too

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Jim,

So let me get this straight. You're a French military deserter, and you are proud of this fact?

To say that I am proud of this fact, not exactly, but I also have never regretted the difficult choice I had made and the resulting difficulties I encountered. What were the alternatives offered?

1) Be sent to the officers’ school and then be detached to a military nuclear research lab where I would have spent the next year and a half designing and building nuclear weapons. My daily life would have been rather cozy, just like any civilian 9/5 job, and I would have returned home every night. It would have been fine until my wife or daughter would have asked me “What did you do at the office today? Did anything interesting?” to which I would have had to answer, “Certainly, I designed a better nuclear weapon, which will do a better job at killing wives and daughters just like you.” Or,

2) Be sent to the officer’s school and then shipped to Algeria to kill and torture people who had done nothing to me, and whose only crime was that they wanted to be free from the century-old French yolk. And then I would have returned to my family in France, and be asked the same question, “What did you do in Algeria?” To which I would have replied with a straight face, “I just followed orders!”

For me, it was a no-brainer. And as a result, looking back on my life, I can sleep with a clear conscience, having never contributed to the misery of my fellow humans.

But I would honestly be most interested in knowing what you would have done, if you had been in my shoes?

At this point, I would like to apologize for calling you an ignoramus, which you obviously are not: I just got carried away, as it often happens when “French bashing” is involved. I maintained the adjective “bigoted” only in so far as your purpose, as you said yourself, was just that: “French bashing.” It usually does not result in intelligent discussions. But if you wanted to discuss specific points, such as for example the role of France in the Rwanda genocide, I believe we would soon find ourselves maybe not in total agreement, but certainly not on the opposite side of the fence, calling each other names.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
dawnofjedi

I will not dignify your remarks regarding my character with an answer, except to reassure you that the FBI certainly has a file on me, since I had, until about ten years ago, a US security clearance, because of character of the majority of my employer’s activities, and I also had a research project connected with the so-called “Star War” program.

By the way, I finally did follow Jim’s suggestion and Googled “Godwin’s rule.” Now, I understand what he was talking about. However, if being against Bush’s illegal invasion of Iraq, or anti-neocons, qualifies one to be un-American and subject to CIA scrutiny, the CIA is going to be quite busy with tens of million of Americans…. :) :) :)

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Hi Jim,

you really changed my mind!
When I heard Iowa, then I always had this image in my head, some guys in bib overalls and John Deere caps are sitting on the porch, drinking self made booze from a gallon bottle and watching the corn grow while one is playing banjo, the hogs grunt in front of the “house” and an old Chevy pickup is getting rusty in the evening sun.
How wrong I was – seems even the kids have shoes now !!!
I’ve learned something about Iowa and I also wouldn’t call you a hillbilly anymore, since I know it’s flat there! :wink:

But joke aside now!

Your position is pretty clear and although I don’t know how Thailand, Beslan, Rwanda is connected in any way to the current war in the Iraq, I guess I got your message.
Maybe you will call it a prejudice, but why can I get not rid of this impression, that Americans are so superficial in their point of view, why the hell do they always have to act before analysing a situation, why do I feel such an arrogance toward other opinions and from where do they think to take the right to interfere in all and everything???
Some might call it imperialism, some new colonialism, your Government uses the termination “America’s interest”, so what are these interests and what gives the USA the right to push them through against the entire world, by ignoring national and international law, against UN decisions and also against every common sense?
Is it still this Wild West cowboy mentality, shoot first - ask later, the colt spares the judge?

Now the majority in the USA is whining about the situation in Iraq, they are surprised about the development, voices getting louder to drag the troops out there – you should have better stayed at home, the development was predictable and I’m only surprised that it’s not even worse!

Let’s have a look on this “American interest” around the world – no, better not around the world, I would have to write a year for this posting, but since France is explicit mentioned here, let’s have a look on Iraq and Vietnam!

Shah Reza Pahlawi was just one of so many dictators supported by the US and France, priceless in his decadence, he was a good business partner for the USA and also for France, so none of them didn’t care for the Persian people, another slaughterer, murderer, doubtless an absolute psychopath had just installed his dictatorship in the country beside – the Iraq, and both, the USA and also France were supporting him too – money doesn’t stink!
Some groups in France supported an old man living in Paris, with smuggled tape records of his speeches he reached the people in his home country - the Iran and he found more and more supporters since he was regarded as a holy man and the exploitation of the people, the decadence and the lack of respect toward the religious traditions and feelings of the people due the Shah regime was obvious.
The USA and especially France underestimated the movement completely, the Shah had to escape and Ayatollah Khomeini landed with an Air France flight in Teheran, where he founded the Islamic republic of Iran.
Nobody wanted to know the Shah anymore, money gone = friends gone!
The Islamic revolution was not so peaceful, the statements of Khomeini have caused some irritation in the West, people were hanging from mobile cranes, hard to make a good business with such a guy!

That was not planned and business contracts had no value anymore, but hey, there was still this other freak in the Iraq and maybe there is a way to get back the access to Persian oil – so the slaughterer of Baghdad became good friend now with the USA and also with France, the King in Saudi Arabia was not amused about an Islamic republic in his close neighbourhood, so he paid for the weapons and America and France delivered them to the new counterpart.
The strategy was – better one corrupt bloodhound under control than millions marching under the green flag.
With the help of his buddies, Saddam was encouraged to start a war against the new Islamic republic, another good business since both sides had their weapons from the USA and France, supplies were guarantied through unofficial channels – the war ended with a cease fire, several hundred thousand people were dead, first Saddam celebrated a huge party, but not really satisfied with his war, he decided to kill some more several hundred thousand people in his own country, but hey if you want to make an omelette, you need to break some eggs –eh?

USA and France were busy with other things now, they almost forgot their dictator in Baghdad and since the war was so expensive and he felt a bit neglected now, he was looking for a new source of income and also for some new partners, guess he felt a little pissed of due the Oliver North thingy.
Saddam never gave a shit on religion, but somehow he created the wild dream to become a new Arabic hero, how to do this, threat Israel!
He started to develop a nuclear program with a huge amount of money, but then these damn Israelis just came in their American F16 and destroyed everything, he was not listening to the US and France anymore, they lost the control, so he decided that little Kuwait belongs actually to the Iraq, useful that Kuwait was swimming in oil and from Kuwait it was also possible to reach the Saudi oil!
Nobody in the entire world would have moved one finger for a tiny state like Kuwait, but here was big money involved and also a threat toward Saudi Arabia would have ruined the business, so the international community decided to re-liberate Kuwait!
King Fahd was more concerned about his business than about the religious feelings of millions of Muslims in the rest of the world, so he accepted the American blackmail to build up military bases on the holy land and supported the alliance, what a signal; Arabic countries are defending peace and liberty under Western standards.
The alliance kicked Saddam’s ass and US patriot missiles blown the Russian Scuds from the sky above Israel and CNN was sending live 24/7!

It was clear, that a civil war and a destabilisation of the whole Middle East would follow in case Saddam Hussein would be eliminated, so sanctions and protection zones in the North and the South should keep Saddam under control, a difficult endeavour but the only option.
Bush senior was also not happy with the UN decision, but he accepted, as a little favour to Turkey and maybe to stir the propaganda against Saddam some more, the allied forces monitored the hunting and killing of Kurdish refugees in the North before they finally interfered.

The UN program “food for oil” was violated, corruption inside the UN administration and also national interests were responsible that these violations were more or less tolerated and business started again.
A shame, that Saddam could rebuild his army, spending endless money for luxury palaces, while children were dying for hunger during the UN program, the sanctions were hitting the people not the regime.

The Iraq under Saddam was certainly not a pleasurable place to live, now it’s a catastrophe and it will become even worse.
I felt almost compassion with Colin Powell when he was forced to provide this laughable show in front of the Security Council under the derision of most of the members there.
Guess some trainees in the CIA must have drawn the mobile laboratories for WMD on trucks, just like British MI 6 agents provided the evidences by copy and paste from a school essay in the internet.
They wanted this war, for what reasons ever, but fact is, there was no need for it, no existing threat, it has nothing to do with the so-called war against terror (which is nonsense) and whoever thought, it would be possible to install democracy in the Iraq with this endeavour was an ignorant, clueless fool.

Try to imagine what could have moved the several hundred billion Dollars politically in the Middle East, wasted for this war, America’s enemies are self-made, America’s policy cannot look over the edge of the table, the totally lack of diplomacy and a policy only focused on America’s interests (simply green bucks) are responsible for the ruined reputation of the USA, they are not trustable, a friend is somebody who will benefit American interests, their moral is simply profit.

What’s written on the State flag of Iowa: “Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain“?
Better put your banjo aside Jim before your rights will be flushed down the loo (yes they also have water closets there)!

Best regards
Thorsten

Sorry, got a long one, no time for Vietnam now, but hey, have you known that US supported Ho Chi Minh until 1945, he even cited the US Declaration of Independence and a band played Stars spangled banner when he declared independent from France in August 1945, before he was betrayed and sold on the Potsdam conference?

dawnofjedi

Mar 8, 2004
Ubud / New York
Thorsten...

I think its quite amusing to hear when somebody who cringes about so-called 'American Arrogance' has the arrogance himself to make rash and unsupported statements in an effort to display how he believes that he knows everything there is to know about everything that has gone on in the world and all the reasons why those things have gone on.

And by the way every single country in the world first and foremost acts in their own national interest. America just happens to be one of them that also acts in the interests of others in pouring out many many many millions of dollars per year to help other countries in disaster relief, food aid, and offering asylum to many whose human rights have been violated in their own countries. It is a standard that we, Canada, Australia, and several European countries live up to, and I am proud of it. In fact, not a single one of these oil rich Middle Eastern countries even ranks on the list of the highest donors. And how about we use as an example of the antithesis of America: Iran. Where is all that Iranian oil money going to? How about weapons for militant groups Hezbollah and Hamas. Have they invested anything in the fight against AIDs in Africa? Where were the Iranian helicopters and aid workers when the tsunami hit? Hmmmm...it seems that they prefer to spend all that money on their own national interests: international terrorism sacreligiously perpetrated in the name of Islam. If the Iranian people are impoverished, yet their government decides to pour money into developing nuclear weapons, what are we to do? If the Iranian government would not have adopted such a hostile policy towards America and support of terrorism, the people there would be living a far better quality of life through mutual trade and enterprise. But it just doesnt work that way, because the extremist establishment there wants nothing more than to perpetuate their own hold on power and dismal vision of society. They do this by adopting and forcing upon their people a policy of vehemence towards America, and strangle the media and education system to teach nothing more than this hatred, ultimately leading towards the greater conflict of terrorism vs. freedom.

It comes down to this...the USA is the largest donor of foreign aid in the world, based on raw dollars. Sure a lot of that money comes with expectations of political support for the USA, but why should that be an issue? Are we to support our enemies? Much of what you wrote about how our alliegances have shifted over the years is in crystal clear hindsight. I wonder if anyone had any way of knowing how things would turn out years after the money was given, and a myriad of global political changes and incidents. We are pragmatic, but we cannot predict the future, only the present.

So what I am really trying to say is if America acts in its own interests, it is just an example of what each and every country in this world does. If you can find me a country that adopts a policy of acting on purely altruistic reasons, I would love to hear about it. And ultimately, plenty of this so called American interest money is going towards positive causes, in fact the largest dollar aid quantity of any country in the world. And that is something that cannot be said for some of our most outspoken critics who also prefer to act in their own interests, but unfortunately little to none of that is used to help anyone else, and much is used to foment terrorism and instability.

Just my thoughts...

OM NAMAH SHIVAYA

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Well “Dawn” I’m sort of at a loss what to say first, and assuredly at a loss what to say what’s next. You claim Ubud and New York as your home base, but I have to say I know nobody from either place who shares your views.

There are a number of statements you have made in your recent posts, and far too many to address one by one. A few really attracted my attention, so let’s begin with just one. Here’s a classic:

“It comes down to this...the USA is the largest donor of foreign aid in the world, based on raw dollars. Sure a lot of that money comes with expectations of political support for the USA, but why should that be an issue?”

Ever hear of “strings attached?” If foreign aid comes with a price...is it aid? NO it’s NOT aid. It is buying influence, and that is all it is!

For many years I have lived on Bali with the belief that the insanity that permeates my home country would not find me here. Since we haven’t personally met, I still believe this is true. I don’t buy you calling home either Ubud or New York for one second.

dawnofjedi

Mar 8, 2004
Ubud / New York
hello Roy...

Well, indeed Roy, we have met each other! and it was quite an amicable meeting, I enjoyed it, we met at Nuri's maybe about a year and a half ago, my name is Shakar, I was living in Kutuh Kaja, aged 25. Now that that is out of the way, I would like to address several of your assertions as to my origins and residence.

Firstly I must point out the hint of arrogance that comes along with the concept that you claim to know all the political viewpoints of both New Yorkers and foreign residents in Ubud. New York is a city of 9 million individual thinking people, and Ubud a conglomerate of about 12 or so villages all hosting numerous foreigners in some capacity or another and i dont believe your self-perceived omnipotence really extends as far as that. I have spent almost 2 years of my life living in Ubud, and i still split my time between the 2 places. And as a further rebuke, i seem to recall several instances where you, a native of Stamford, CT, have characterized yourself as a New Yorker. Not quite the truth, but I assure you, where I was born in Queens is a bonafide part of NYC.

Now moving on to address another one of your assertions, about the reasons why American support for the war in Iraq has waned. You seem very confident about the assertion that the main reason for the decline in support is people's 'realization' that it was based on 'lies'. Well, I think that is a very difficult statement coming from someone who has not been to America in 7 years and admittedly consorts mostly with those that share your same views. As for myself, having spent the last 6 months here living and interacting in USA, i would put forward that indeed the reason for this decline is almost 100% the result of the body count and the perceived lack of potential for victory, and I will put myself amongst those. I think its time to completely rearrange our strategy there, and scale it down significantly, and I am hoping today's election will help move towards that goal. Our continued presence in Iraq is doing nothing to eliminate extremism and only facilitating it. I think, however, its time that many in the world stop scapegoating the USA for continued civilian deaths and start blaming the real perpetrators, the sectarian death squads and al-Qaeda aligned extremists.

Now I would like to address the aid issue that you brought up. I am by no means trying to defend the numerous mistakes over the years that have come through our foreign aid programs, often in the interest of our own national security. Yes there were times when the wrong regimes were backed, the wrong guy assumed to be the right guy....but politics 'before the fact' does not necessarily work with the same crystal clear hindsight that my adversaries here seem to operate with 'after the fact'.

But its really all about common sense. Are we going to pour the hard earned American tax money into a place like Somalia, where there is now an Islamist extremist government violently seizing power? Should we be obligated to support a situation where our money for aid may be used against us in a hostile manner? Or should we instead focus our efforts towards helping friendly governments like Kenya or Uganda, where the people are also suffering, but in those places we are welcomed and appreciated, and our money has the ability to be tracked and managed without harm to our citizens working on the ground...where will that aid money be more effective?

And regardless of these considerations, the USA does plenty to channel humanitarian aid into places like Somalia and bypass those channels that are hostile towards us. If you dont believe that, just check USAID.gov, and if you dont believe that website, then I dont know what to say, as this is a contentious enough issue that any 'fabrications' on the USA official publications like the website would have been scrutinized and called out long ago.

It comes down to the fact our 20 billion dollars a year, the largest of any nation in the world, indeed is going to fighting famine, disease, and human rights violations all over the world, and I think the thousands of American aid workers that are living in destitute conditions and devoting their lives to facilitating this aid would have some serious words with your assertions.

I would like to respond to Tintin that being against the war in Iraq or the neo-cons by no means makes you un-American, as I share the same opinions. What does make you un-American is making rash and foolish statements about American attempts at 'world conquest' and bringing our nation that has afforded freedom, asylum, and prosperity for millions onto the same level as lets say, the Spectre organization from the James Bond movies.

and those are my thoughts...

OM NAMAH SHIVAYA

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I’m very sorry that I don’t recall meeting you. That is sort of “par for the links” but truly, I have no recollection.

Anyway...all your diatribe and convolutions about what you think I know, or very likely, don’t know....about New Yorkers is well taken.

As truth though, and if it means anything in particular, I haven’t been back in the states for almost eight years now. Maybe that means I am a terrorist!

In any event, and just a quick suggestion....that would be to break up your huge paragraphs into somewhat smaller, and easier to digest morsels.

Frankly, I did not read most of what you wrote, for it was clearly presented in a manner not worth reading.

dawnofjedi

Mar 8, 2004
Ubud / New York
hey Roy...

well...i am not sure, but did you somehow edit what i wrote? or somebody else?

i thought having three paragraphs on three disctinct topics would be a lot more clear than having somebody change what i wrote into 14 different small paragraphs before anyone else on this forum even got a chance to look at it or read it...

it seems to have been changed about 5 minutes after i posted it....

anyhow, i wrote my note as sort of a position piece...sorry if it was a little more complicated than you could digest....i figured it was better to be a little more academic in my approach and not resorting to the short 'glib' and personal attack approach that you often seem to champion...

well, you know its no real problem if you dont remember meeting me, people often forget things...nevertheless i enjoyed the evening, you were quite intoxicated on martinis and seemed oblivious to anybody elses contributions but your own anyway...and although i sat next to you, and we spoke on the phone about the evening beforehand, i ended up talking mostly to other people, and enjoyed my night...but anyhow, no need to try and remember, it wouldnt be worth it for either of us...

adieu...

OM SHANTI

swisshawaiian

Jul 23, 2006
Canggu-Pererenan, Bali
dawnofjedi wrote:

It comes down to this...the USA is the largest donor of foreign aid in the world, based on raw dollars.

dawnofjedi, I'm not saying that the U.S. is stingy or that its foreign aid is not appreciated, but it's not important which country contributes the most amount of $, it's the countries who contribute the most per capita or in % of GDP.

Below is part of an article I found on the net:

A December 29 article in the Los Angeles Times titled "U.S. Aid Generous and Stingy" explained the misleading nature of these claims. Though the United States government provides more total money in foreign aid than any other nation, the article reported, "when aid is calculated per U.S. citizen or as a percentage of the economy, the United States ranks among the least generous in the industrialized world." The article cited a 2004 study from the Center for Global Development and Foreign Policy magazine that "ranks 21 of the world's richest countries based on their dedication to policies that benefit the 5 billion people living in poorer nations worldwide." The study ranked the U.S. 19th out of 21 countries in terms of foreign aid. This measure combined public aid with private contributions attributable to tax breaks.*

Here's the link to the full article:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200501040 ... =20&show=1

dawnofjedi

Mar 8, 2004
Ubud / New York
Well Swisshawaiian, firstly thanks for a very civilized response and also for opening another valid point in this discussion...

I definitely do agree with you about American foreign aid concerning the per capita or GDP example; America certainly does have the means to be doing A LOT more than we are presently doing. The USA is indeed the wealthiest country, and ideally the donation should be harmonious to that figure...

But the way I see it, yes, looking at per capita and GDP is a very valid way of judging the generosity of a country, but I am not sure if it judges the actual impact of the aid. For example, you can have a very small country contributing 1 billion dollars, an enormous amount for their population. This would make them more 'generous' than the USA. But regardless of the generosity factor, a USA contribution of 20 billion dollars would offer 19 billion more dollars to actually help accomplish results. And the issues tackled can be more wide-ranging based on the extent of the funding. However way you shake it 20 billion dollars is going to buy a lot more food than 1 billion dollars, and that is a real impact.

So I do see your point, Swisshawaiian, and I agree, based on our means there is much room for improvement in American generosity. Ultimately though, the higher the funding the more quantity of aid can be facilitated, and the goal here is really to reach as many people in need as possible.

Just my thoughts on the matter, thank you for your positive contribution to the discussion.

OM SHANTI

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Sorry “Dawn” for any confusion. I have NO moderating, editing or “nuke” powers on this forum. That’s the way I like it, and I can assure you that Bert and Mats agree 100%. So, whoever edited your post into something capable of being read...I can assure you that I had nothing to do with it.

Likely it was that I was under the influence of Brian’s martinis whenever I met you at Nuris. That is what Nuris is about. Nuris is a kind of bastion of expat sanity in a world where it is way to easy to disengage from reality. I have no embarrassment over being occasionally found there enjoying Brian’s martinis...and a session with my multiple therapists. In case you haven’t noticed, during whatever time you have spent in Ubud, many expats consider an occasional night at Nuris in exactly the same way.

Just for the record, I assure you that my views on the world have not been formed from double O seven movies. However unique my views are from yours, they have been formed from my own life experiences, just like yours. With that being said, I can say without question that it would be most unlikely for me to imagine that you could find many expats in Ubud who would share your views. And, yes, I do feel that I have my finger on the pulse of other expats, and more importantly, the Balinese whose island this is.

Jim Thorpe

Nov 7, 2002
USA
Hi fellow passionate people!

While I often ask myself what Jimbo is probably saying; "why the heck are these people getting so passionate about some web crap?", I certainly do understand and appreciate that each person here feels that they are doing something constructive.

First of all, I will apologize for offending tintin on the French thing. I do have problems with the French government but I should have kept those things under wraps...

Tintin, I will whole heartedly admit that your situation in 1964 would have been difficult. Perhaps many would make the same decision as you, perhaps I would too.
I think that dawnofjedi's anti-american comment regarding you is from some of the verbage that you use, i.e. "your government", etc. That is the reason that I asked if you were a U.S. citizen. Maybe it is because we have a different understanding of a U.S. citizen's democratic/voting contract with our government. My belief is that you every couple of years you go to the ballot box where your voice is heard. The results are tallied and you accept the results in civil manner. You certainly have the right to protest, etc but to say "My side lost so this is not my government" goes against the spirit of the contract. It most certainly is your's and my government. We may not like it but it to deny it is breaking the agreement. That is my two cents...Any further debate should probably be done through PM's and I will appreciate the conversation.

Thorsten, good to hear from you! I was curious that you hadn't commented yet. I am glad that I was able to change some of the incorrect impressions regarding Iowa. I do have a pair of bib overalls and I have multiple John Deere hats(my in-laws worked at JD for a combined 83 years) but I also have a nice tuxedo...I had many of the same impressions before I moved here but I have to admit that, outside the weather, this is one of the best places I have resided.

What a great succinct condensation of events. I agree with almost all of that version..other than the Iraq war part. While I agree that Bahgdad is worse than ever, huge parts of Iraq are better. Again just ask the Kurds.
I don't doubt our support of Ho Chi Minh, heck we supported Stalin!! But this points out a number of things : 1) That when people hear these facts you have to put them in context of other things happening at that time. 2) We (the allied powers) supported a lot of mean and nasty things and didn't support some of the people that should have been supported.
3) The past is the past and you can't always look that far into the past to indict current governments. If we say that the U.S. is bad because of supporting Ho Chi Minh, we have to remind people why we were supporting him...because of the Axis powers! I certainly don't think less of the current Germany or Japan because of what they did in WW2. 4) That the U.S. could do a better job in being nicer to future dictators. :)

Regarding the amount of U.S. relief efforts compared to GNP or GNI, etc. As the old saying goes, "There are three types of lies - lies, damn lies, and statistics. " I think this may be one of those times when it is almost impossible to fully understand the amount of aid given...The U.S. government cites 3X the amount of private aid vs. U.S. government aid. SwissHawaiin's site has a legitimate concern about what is considered private "aid". Here is another interesting paper on the subject. One of the difficulties with all this is deciding what is aid, sounds silly but it is true.

http://gpr.hudson.org/files/publication ... thropy.pdf

Dawnofjedi, I appreciate your enthusiastic support and defense of the U.S. policies. While I don't think we will be able to change the views of many on this forum, we can at least try to show that we have some support for our views. It is easy to paint a caricature of war supporters...war-mongering, religious right, uneducated, non-caring, racists, oil mongering, etc., etc., etc.... I enjoy listening to many on this forum as I have learned a great deal from them and have actually shifted some of my views on certain issues. I TRY not to think of them in generic terms: soured ex-pat, socialist german, beautiful Australian moderator :), etc. ( my major fault is the French thing, sorry) because the more I talk with them, the more we seem to have in common. So in the end, while they may not agree with our views, we don't seem so crazy to them after all....

Cheers to all and apologies to any I have offended.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Well done Pak Jim!

While I’ve been telling people for years what a great guy you are, now they can see it for themselves.

For me, the sweetest part of this election is that for the first time in our history a woman is just two heart beats away from the Presidency of the United States. While that doesn’t mean I’d vote for Hillary Clinton to be our next President, this milestone just achieved has been long overdue.

I really enjoyed your post. Many thanks for sharing your words.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I would like to amplify Thorston’s PS of his last post. I personally salute Ho Chi Minh, the George Washington of Viet Nam. From early in his life, he was a great admirer of the United States, and it is a tragedy that the United States abandoned him after WWII. During his sojourn in France, following WWI, he helped found the French communist party, as he saw, like many people at the time, this international movement as the only way to liberate enslaved people. At that time, he petitioned President Wilson to help him liberate his country from the French yoke, but unfortunately was rebuffed. But he NEVER gave up on the USA.

As Thorston mentioned, in September 1945, when “Uncle Hồ” read the Democratic Republic of Viet Nam’s Declaration of Independence, he had BOTH the new Viet Nam anthem and the Star Spangled Banner played. He started his speech quoting from memory the American Declaration of Independence, “We, the people….”

Unfortunately, he was later tricked into a peace with France, which called for general elections within two years. These elections were cancelled by the US Government, under the direction of Secretary of State J.F. Dulles (the famous domino theory). Ho had no alternative but to fight for the liberation of his country. I am sure he regretted this betrayal by a country, which he had admired for practically all his life. In the longest struggle ever, the US lost more than 50,000 soldiers, and Viet Nam almost TWO million people. Eventually, the red flag flew over Saigon, but no dominoes fell, and President, G.W. Bush is about to arrive in Hanoi, I believe next week…

So, the US should not be sorry that they once supported Ho Chi Minh, but it should be for having abandoned him in his road to freedom.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
So, the US should not be sorry that they once supported Ho Chi Minh, but it should be for having abandoned him in his road to freedom.

That’s no surprise Daniel. Our foreign policy in Asia and Southeast Asia has been deplorable, and well before Bush Jr. got to plant his arse in the oval office.

We “sold out” Indonesia on the Tim tim issue, conveniently forgetting our efforts that Indonesia took charge there during the Vietnam War and as the Portuguese wiped their hands.

For me, my eyes are on China. Almost twenty years ago I delivered a position paper about the awakening of this sleeping dragon. Then, everyone decided that a nap was more appropriate.

I predict that within ten years, maybe less, China will have emerged as the most dominant economic power on this planet. Their recent deals in Africa are just the beginning of what is to come. It’s a good time for your kids to learn Mandarin.

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Hi young Jedi knight ;-)

Call me arrogant or whatever you like, I don’t care!
I have comprehension for your point of view, considering your age and also considering the attacks in New York (and nothing can deliver any kind of excuse for this), but never less your position is wrong.
Gulf war I (dessert storm) was carried by an UN decision, I supported this and the media report at this time was indeed something new and also impressing, later I found out the truth and it was depressing, but I still think it was right to do this.
Jedi, I could spend my live to prove you where and how these so-called “American interests”, this policy was responsible directly or in-directly for the death of millions of people around the world after WW II, but I want to suggest you sit down on your butt and do your homework.
Your comments due US aid for the entire world are not worth a response.

Back to the Iraq war, your Government has started this war against every advice, it’s not a question to win or lose this war (USA won the war, but what’s now?), mission accomplished?
The show on the aircraft carrier was the summit of arrogance !
It’s not the question to drag your troops out there, now you are caught in this and there is no way to retire, now you have a responsibility for the chaos you have caused in the Iraq!
Faked evidences, personal revenge, the illusion to install democracy there – this all doesn’t matter anymore, now the question is simply how to minimize the damage.

Jim,

I was teasing you since I know and appreciate your humour (had really to laugh about the “German socialist” thingy), well we will hardly find an agreement on political issues, but since I’m probably still an optimist, I will waste some more time to debate with you on political things.

The last and only good invention of US foreign (military) policy was to invade Germany!
That was a great job, well planned, with a real concept and also unquestionable in morality, the handling of this after German capitulation was a milestone for the policy of the 20th century and I still regret that George C. Marshall never became US president!
This man had a vision, he was able to look into the future and the concept for US policy in Europe was brilliant!

The Iraq war is a disaster in all points, the military planning was shit, no concept at all for the aftermath of this war, absolutely no knowledge at all how to install or preserve any kind of administration, the “democratic” elections were a joke – now there is no accepted Government, no existing judicial system, no working police, no administration, in fact there is simply anarchy!
What might have thought this embarrassing US government – they are marching into Iraq as a liberation army, the people will stand on the street waving American flags and a democracy will be installed – just like Germany after WW II?
That’s the American dilemma over decades, they simply act without considering the consequences – democracy in the Iraq will never work, no chance for this, it would simply mean another Iran.
What could be a solution – the separation of Iraq in three parts?
You mentioned the Kurds – hey they have oil there in the North and at the day, American troops will leave the Iraq they will declare an independent Kurdistan, Turkey will never accept this and I would bet my ass, they will invade the North of Iraq – can you imagine the consequences?

For a nation, build up as a conglomerate of so many different cultures, this lethargy toward US foreign policy is amazing, they simply don’t care, the concern is for the cadaver bags, for the coffins of US soldiers dying for nothing abroad, but certainly not for the destiny of the population where these wars are carried out.
Many Americans seem to have the understanding, that war is just another political instrument, easy to support a war so far away from the own door –yes?

Daniel

First of all, I’m glad that you decided not to participate in the Algerian war neither that you helped to develop nuclear weapons – and yes, you should be proud of this!

I’m grateful that you picked up my mentioning of the US support for Ho Chi Minh!
I don’t have any doubts that you will know the facts and I also don’t have any doubt that you understood the political processes, which lead to the Vietnam war – the American trauma.
Vietnam is the best example IMO, how a completely wrong estimation of political reality, totally lack of diplomatic perspicacity (and I don’t blame only the USA for this), criminal activities of intelligence services, stubbornness and fear can cause a disaster with millions and millions of victims.

I don’t want to illuminate the Vietnam war, the fact shield of this war is well known, but the political and military development which lead into this war is probably not known by everybody, this could be a good tutorial about the consequences of a completely failed foreign policy by several involved states and I see a lot of parallels with the current situation in the Iraq,

Indochina (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia) were French colonies, the request of Ho Chi Minh to attend the Treaty of Versailles after WWI to work out a plan for the possibility to obtain independence from France for these colonies was simply rejected.
During WWII, the collaborating French Vichy regime was in fact under control of Hitler’s allied Japan , so Indochina was de facto under Japanese occupation, Ho formed a resistance group and fought the Japanese in the North, the Viet Minh, they were assisted by the US American “Office of Strategic Services” (later the CIA).
Teddy Roosevelt opposed European colonialism, his position was independence and liberty for all colonies.
1944 the Japanese changed their policy due the ongoing retreat of German army, now French officials were humiliated in front of the Vietnamese population, the Japanese encouraged the nationalists to gain independence from France and even granted this!
The declaration of independence on 2nd Sep 1945 was the result of the Japanese surrender, but in the meantime the victors of WWII were negotiating about the rest of the world at the Potsdam Conference.
France and Great Britain did not want to give up their colonies, the hardest counterpart on the conference was Josef Stalin. USA had some different visions about a new Europe, so Indochina was not a significant point of the negotiations, they made a deal for the benefit of France and the British and as a little bonus toward the Soviet Union they even involved China now!
By ignoring all existing political facts, Vietnam was set under control of China and the British, the separation between 16th parallel.
During this time, it was already obvious that a renew of the Chinese civil war will happen, Mao Zedong was supported by Stalin and there was no need for a crystal bowl to predict the result of this movement in China.

The British occupation had not much interest in South Vietnam, so the French prevailed upon the British to turn control of the region back over to them.
The French started negotiations with China now, they made the deal to give back the Shanghai concession (there was almost no chance to hold it anymore) to get back into the North of Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh allowed French forces to land outside Hanoi for the expectance of an independent Vietnam within the French Union.
In December 1946 the negotiations with Ho collapsed, the French bombarded Haiphong and entered Hanoi.
The next three years the Viet Minh led guerrilla strokes against the French, Ho Chi Minh was betrayed by Truman, de Gaulle and Churchill, but the situation changed with Mao Zedong’s victory in the Chinese civil war!
Since 1949 Ho received massive support of weapons from China and also from the Soviet Union now, the Viet Minh were converted into a regular army.

Ho was a communist at a time were this was not a crime yet, what can anybody expect, which options he would choose due his fight for independence?
Not that the USA had given a shit on Vietnam, but 1950 changed everything, the cold war and the paranoia due the threat of communism has already started, Stalin was killing millions at home, Mao was killing millions at home and then Chinese forces went into Korea!
Instead of accepting the independence of Vietnam and to provide a partnership, the now (after the contact of Potsdam) illegal occupation of Vietnam by the French was supported from the USA.
Despite of massive US supplies, the French were defeated and retired from Indochina, on the conference in Geneva 1954, France gave his former colonies independence, but under the influence of he USA, a temporally separation of Vietnam at the 17th parallel was conducted, nationwide elections should be held in July 1956.
1955 the French left Indochina and the USA installed the Ngo Dinh Diem regime in the South, who started immediately the hunt on communists (later he was killed with American participation), Eisenhower had no interests at all in nationwide elections since everybody was aware who would have won this!
The rest is history, lot’s of the lies due this stupid war have been exposed later by the Washington Post known as the Pentagon papers.
Despite of the sick ideas of this gangster Dick Nixon and his intention to throw nuclear bombs on Hanoi, something is almost forgotten, America’s role in Cambodia and in the consequence the Red Khmer regime, the Armageddon of South East Asia.

My God, this was really a long one, maybe Bert should limit postings? :roll:

best regards
Thorsten :wink:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Thorsten, I found myself breathing deeply after reading your post. Nothing sexual...just out of breath.

There is a great documentary, called THE FOG OF WAR. This superb film centers on then Secretary of War, Robert Strange McNamara. In this film he finally admits the great error the United States made by ever getting involved there. Vietnam had NOTHING to do with communist aggression. It was only about a civil war.

The names of over 50,000 young men and women are carved into a Vermont granite wall in Washington, DC. I still ask myself why are those names there? On the other hand, each and every one of them still haunts Bob McNamara.

Another long servicing Secretary of War has fallen on his sword. And, once again, it is the lives of young American men and women who have paid the ultimate price for this folly.

I’d like to think that finally, the American people have made the turn, and for once, they will no longer offer up their sons and daughters, husbands and wives as fodder for canon. This madness must stop...and the beginning of the stop of this madness is finally with us.

When I read Daniel’s posts concerning his very hard decision he had to make, I find comfort. I also embrace his courage for saying NO to more nuclear weapon proliferation. I can only imagine the great angst he experienced as he wrestled with this decision at that time.

When John F. Kennedy wrote PROFILES IN COURAGE he wrote about men in our history that had the balls to stand up, and by doing so, changed the course of human history. That kind of courage that Kennedy wrote of can be found in every man and woman on this earth.

So Thorsten, I have to end this post with some sort of logic, lest I be considered a rambling idiot. When Kennedy spoke in Berlin, did he say, “I am a Berliner”...or did he say, “I am a bagel?”

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Hi Roy,

I wished I could share your typically American optimism regarding a point of return in US foreign policy due the latest elections, but I doubt that dramatically changes will happen. :roll:

Sorry for the long postings, but it’s really not so easy to describe this historical, political development in a few sentences.
You wrote:
Vietnam had NOTHING to do with communist aggression. It was only about a civil war.
I guess you allude to Vietnam as the proxy war between SU and USA, but I wouldn’t even see it as a proxy war since the USA war directly war party, while the Russian provided only supplies, but one thing it was certainly not – a civil war !!!
America’s role in Vietnam is still considered in the USA as an alliance with the South Vietnamese population to fight a communist aggression from the North, the biggest lie at all in respect to this war!

The absurdity and the paradox of this war is, that only US policy lead to this situation, without American involvement there would have been no war at all, at least with French retreat from Indochina the political facts were clear, despite of the wrong decision to allow the French and British to continue their colonialism policy after WWII, Eisenhower broke the contract of Geneva due the competition of the systems which directed world policy now, this policy caused actually what they wanted to avoid, Russian influence!

France understood, that its colonial time in Indochina was over, times of change, they haven’t seen any chance to keep this alive toward the resistance of the population so far away from home!
Eisenhower’s “Military Assistance Advisory Group” (MAAG) caused the problem, the dictatorship was installed in the South not in the North, the massive US supplies of weapons and Diem’s secret policy, on the other side the NLF became the counterpart now, the “National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam”.
General Eisenhower was a great military leader but he had no clue about diplomacy, of course the Vietnamese seeking for independence found support from SU, which other option they should have had?

I know, it’s always easier to analyse the things afterwards, but try to imagine what could have happened when Truman simply accepted the Declaration of Independence 1945, what if the Western allied would have offered a partnership and support to the former Indochina States?

Best regards
Thorsten