Intro

JohnR

Mar 10, 2018
Evening all. Thank you for accepting me into this group. My family and I have recently moved to Bali from Jakarta and we currently live in Sanur. No newbie to Bali as I first visited in the 70s (I know, that dates me somewhat). Can't really express my happiness at finally getting to live here after the pollution, grime, fakery and general nastiness of Jakarta. Luckily I already have a friend in this group - MikeG - who is trying to teach me to like drinking wine, and thence to making my own.

Volunteering to do good works is a common theme amongst expats in Bali. I thought of trying to tackle the plastic/garbage problem but there are already loads of chiefs - if not enough Indians - in that field. So I decided on hydroponics. There is plenty of scope for it and only a few practitioners that I can see using my Google Fu. I see 2 targets: town-dwellers with little space for vegetable gardens, and hinterland communities which lose so many of their young people to the tourist industry. I believe we import too much vegetable produce from Java. A lot more can be grown here with lots of benefits. I will be aiming to get business and local government backing to support this project.

Bit of a rant. Sorry. Anyway, if anyone here has any advice, suggestions or comments I would welcome them.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Welcome to the forum. Are planning on selling the vegetables you grow or just teaching people about hydroponics?

JohnR

Mar 10, 2018
Thanks for your reply. Certainly not selling. I want to help the lower income types who live in the concrete jungle to supplement their diet with home-grown vegetables. I haven't seen many depressed areas here - not been here long enough - but I expect they exist. I started to get people interested in Jakarta, where they certainly exist, but left there before I could achieve much. That's on the micro level. I would hope to get businesses to sponsor the initial expenses to set up the individual kits. It's not very expensive. Around 3jt for a system that will supply daily vegetable needs for a family. Thereafter small running costs for listrik, water, nutrient and medium ((eg rice straw).

On a bigger scale I aim to teach the concept that unused or barren land, for instance on hillsides, can be used to produce vegetables on a commercially-viable level. That requires local community, banjar and government buy-in. Again, I will seek business support. It's quite ambitious but doable. I have some contacts who will help.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Welcome JohnR. I hope you will enjoy your retirement activities. I am interested that you say "I believe we import too much vegetable produce from Java." My response is in 2 parts:
1) is this true? Lots are grown in Bali - for example around Baturiti, do you have data on what is coming from Java?
2) does matter? Bali and East Java are almost one. What is the downside?
Anyhow I will follow your progress with great interest.

JohnR

Mar 10, 2018
Thank you for your reply, ronb.

1. No, no data yet. Anecdotal input from friends and observations of supermarket shelves.

2. Agreed that E Java is close. However local produce would be cheaper, if by only a small amount. My main interest in the larger-scale aspect is a kick-start to the productive potential of the rural communities. It would not only provide income but also maybe help to stop some of the younger folk from flocking to the tourist areas to compete in the low pay /low skill market. Provide them with an incentive to stay and be more productive.

This may just be a pipe-dream. However I won't know unless I try. I think I could call it a success if I could get just one hotel to have a contract with a rural community for the year-round supply of fresh vegetables produced hydroponically.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
A family friend is doing this in Jimbaran. I think he rented a couple of are and has been growing vegetables. I am not sure how he is going with it though.

JohnR

Mar 10, 2018
Interesting. When I am ready to do some proper research I would like to ask you if you can share his details so that I can see how he goes about it

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Evening all. Thank you for accepting me into this group. My family and I have recently moved to Bali from Jakarta and we currently live in Sanur. No newbie to Bali as I first visited in the 70s (I know, that dates me somewhat). Can't really express my happiness at finally getting to live here after the pollution, grime, fakery and general nastiness of Jakarta. Luckily I already have a friend in this group - MikeG - who is trying to teach me to like drinking wine, and thence to making my own.

Volunteering to do good works is a common theme amongst expats in Bali. I thought of trying to tackle the plastic/garbage problem but there are already loads of chiefs - if not enough Indians - in that field. So I decided on hydroponics. There is plenty of scope for it and only a few practitioners that I can see using my Google Fu. I see 2 targets: town-dwellers with little space for vegetable gardens, and hinterland communities which lose so many of their young people to the tourist industry. I believe we import too much vegetable produce from Java. A lot more can be grown here with lots of benefits. I will be aiming to get business and local government backing to support this project.

Bit of a rant. Sorry. Anyway, if anyone here has any advice, suggestions or comments I would welcome them.

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Hi,John. I'm looking forward to helping you to develop into a winemaker, along with our reprobate friend, and with one other - someone you haven't met yet. Talking to t'others it's looking as though we'll be teaching/learning/experiencing wine-making around the middle of April. mwe'll start with coconuts. see you soon.

JohnR

Mar 10, 2018
Excellent Mike . Fitri says you're a bit under the weather at the moment, so we would like to pop in over the weekend and see if we can cheer you up Any preference for morning or afternoon?

Would it be helpful to return the 2 bottles? I say 2 because the one for my wife did not survive unopened for long without her being here! Not angling for a refill - I expect you need a constant supply of them.

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Yes, please - always running out of wine bottles! Yes, love to see you and the gang - time immaterial, just let me know when you expect to be here.
I know you liked the mulberry wine - how about the rose? I think I've said this to you before, so bear with me repeating myself - I need absolutely honest opinions, so that I may take them into account and, hopefully, improve. If you feel any of them is crap, please tell me - and tell me what is wrong, if possible.

JohnR

Mar 10, 2018
Thanks Mike. Not sure when we will be there - depends on when my wife returns from Jakarta Anyway will let you know.

Well the mulberry was delicious, obviously. The rose seemed less potent but was effective. I found the taste somewhat bland, honestly Saying that, I know that rose is meant to have a more delicate nose than your robust reds that I prefer There, honest opinion Not into all that "lingering afterburn" type critique!

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Thanks, kind sir. Exactly the type of critique I need, And I concur with your comments.

Interestingly, the mulberry had 12.3% alcohol, whereas the rosella had 12.8%.,

When the mulberries are back in season we'll make a batch together - say 30 lts, so that we end up with 20 bottles each. And if we don't have enough bottles we'll simply have to invest in long straws! Deal?