Information on internet in East Bali

ilc

Nov 18, 2008
Made a few enquiries that might save some other people time. Most of these are relevant to the Candi Dasa area:

* no kabelvision internet at least in Candi Dasa, I checked a few other satellite tv providers too and no luck in this area. Kabelvision (aka Firstmedia) said they may service the Karangasem area in the future.

* Indosat dont provide internet viawavelan/radio signal. They do have satellite internet C-band (DVB-RCS) & KU-Band. At first glance the prices look ok compared to some of the other satellite internet providers I checked which were outrageously expensive -- still it is not that cheap, but if you have no other choice...... http://www.indosatm2.com/index.php/business-solution/internet-services/blitz, I cant comment on reliability or speed, perhaps someone else could comment?

* blueline can service the Candi Dasa area I am in via wavelan/radio signal. I have some friends who use this who say it is ok, you need to contact blueline to do a survey to see if your area is serviceable. They get some bad press though on this forum!

* we use CBN wireless modem. Its expensive for the slow connection you get, at least where we are in Karangasem and there is no 3g network. We have our office in the house we rent and with 2 computers, each needs 1 connection otherwise its really slow, each account is about 330,000 each for 1gb download per month. Its difficult to get close to that as the connection is slow. In areas with 3g network it is notably faster (eg Denpasar).

* we used to have a wireless centrin account which was more stable than CBN, but they no longer provide them.

* Speedy internet with Telkom is apparently now in Candi Dasa area, though we first need to get a phone line to our house which will not be easy as its isolated (a little out of CD). This is what we will be chasing. For visitors Toke cafe now has speedy wireless for free and I think the little internet cafe across the road also have a speedy connection though I havent tried either.

-ilc

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Many thanks for the interesting info as I will be setting up there in the near future so would be looking for myself - please let us know of any changes to the situation. Thanks again.

VincentOG

Oct 23, 2006
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks for that info.
Telkom Speedy has appeared in downtown Amlapura.
Now no longer necessary to schlep down to Seminyak with laptop to check email, internet bank.
I access it via internet café @ Rp5,000/hr.
V fast, v good.
Good for skype etc.
Even my local benkel now offers free wi-fi.

In most areas Bali is going backwards.
Internet access in Karangasem is one of the very few areas where this is not the case.

Now I just need to be able to access the equivalent of Telkom Speedy via a satellite dish or antennae because there are no phone lines where I live.

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
I know that Asia doing a wireless internet and the speed is 150Mbps which is more than Speedy (100)

I’m using Speedy in Bandung, but my friend is with Asia and tells me that is quite good.

Do you have any news about using Asia wireless in Bali :?:
L.

Peter K

Nov 24, 2005
Canggu
ILC, I use Blueline in Canggu and I must say that I am very happy with them. A friend of mine in Candidasa also uses them. I will ask him again, but the last time I spoke to him about Blueline he had good things to say. They are not the cheapest but I guess you get what you pay for.
Never heard about an ISP called Asia...

Peter

ilc

Nov 18, 2008
I havent heard of Asia - but if it uses mobile networks I would guess its' speed would be limited in the east due to the lack of 3g network. That is the case with centrin and CBN wireless which I have used.

kerobokstar

Mar 25, 2008
Some misunderstanding here... Esia offers 153 kb/s, the same as other CDMA network operators (Smart, Flexi, Fren). This is the theoretical top speed, compared to Speedy's theoretical top speed of 1 mb/s (nearly 7 times faster than Esia). In practice, real speeds are lower, but as Bert has mentioned Speedy can get download speeds of about 100 kb/s, where as CDMA is generally about 10 kb/s. Speedy is much faster than Esia.

I tried Esia in Kerobakan and the signal was very week, couldn't really connect well. Smart is better here, they have been offering a phone that you can plug into your PC and get 2gb of data per month for six months included for about Rp. 290,000 all in. It's my back up connection...