Indosat 3.5g 3.6 Mbps???

InAdelaide

Oct 14, 2004
Australia
Hi I have been using Indosat 3G for 2 days, at the moment the reading is 1.04Mbps...thats in Legian...no problem with dropouts, it says in the manual for the modem , disconnecting modem without safe removal can cause connection/dirty modem probems...fix is to do a safe removal...

spitfire

May 7, 2005
Jimbaran
Re: RE: Indosat 3.5g 3.6 Mbps???

widder said:
Hi Spitfire,

silly me, I always thought a spitfire was a plane, not a snazzy red car :wink:

I have an Acer Travelmate 4220, 1g processor, 1g RAM, using XP professional. cheers, Sybille

I should change the avatar. Have sold the car because I didn't want to bring it to Bali, but I still miss it.... :?

You're laptop doesn't have bluetooth. Click here for the specs.

So back to your question. Buy a handphone in Bali (Jl. Teuku Umar in Denpasar) that connects to your laptop with a cable, or take the more secure road and get 3G with the special USB modem.

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali
Wow, Spitfire is really fast. As I'm quite late, there is nothing much I can add to his explanations. :)

For using a Laptop with 3G, it might be cheaper to buy a 3G PCMCIA Card instead of the 3G USB Modem, works similar but these are especially made for Laptops. But for sure the USB Modem you can use with any computer with USB and not only Laptops. So it's all up to your preference and what is available at the time.

widder

Jul 16, 2007
Tulamben
www.chiliandgamalan.com
Hi Chris, thank you for dropping in. I think I clarified what I needed to know, and I am glad I don't have to buy a mobile, as I prefer not to continuously add more devices to my otherwise simple life :D Maybe I need to appoint someone as a "minder" when I go shopping for that stuff, otherwise I end up with an electric jug or a toaster :roll: . Once again thank you for all the help and advice. cheers, Sybille

spitfire

May 7, 2005
Jimbaran
Sorry Chris, I left the PCMCIA solution to you :D as I didn't want to make it more complicated... You may still add the "bluetooth dongle" option though, but the "geek level" might rise too high for this forum hahaha.

widder

Jul 16, 2007
Tulamben
www.chiliandgamalan.com
Good Morning,

having had time to think about this, maybe the 3G PCMCIA card is the way to go, since I've done my own pc upgrades before, just simple stuff, like more memory, cards, changing a fan etc. But sofar I've never had a look at the inside of a laptop. I suppose the USB modem is external, whereas I've got a free slot for the card. cheers, Sybille

spitfire

May 7, 2005
Jimbaran
yep, but you won't be able to transfer your internet access onto other computers. If only laptops with PCMCIA slots, go ahead... it's cheaper (although there are offers with free USB modems). I would go for that in case you ever want to resell second hand.

spitfire

May 7, 2005
Jimbaran
Too late actually, chatting with my friends in Europe... :( That's the disadvantage of having internet at home. I am going to sleep now before dawn, else I'm over it. ciao

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali
Spitfire is right again, if you decide to transfer later to a desktop or other computer, USB is for sure easier.

I decided a while ago to give up on desktop computers, as they are more bulky and therefore less portable.

So as the PCMCIA card almost completely disappears in the respective laptop slot, it's actually one accessory less to carry around (and to lose) for me. That's my (subjective) reason behind it.

But then, desktops are usually cheaper than laptops and better expandable. It all depends on your preferences. The free USB Modem which XL offers for instance, requires unfortunately that you sign at least a 12 months contract with them, a big turn-off for me. If you know you will stay longer here and will be happy with the service, no problem. In the last 12 months I changed from Telkom Dialup to Indosat Dialup to XL 3G, a long contract wouldn't have done me no good.

If I knew before what I know now.....maybe.....

;-)

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali
Another 3G addition: the LG Mobile KU 250 is a slim 3G phone with up to 384 kbps 3G speed. It has all modern features like MP3, expandable Card Slot. No support for HSDPA though, but you'll rarely reach those speeds anyway.

Guess it's a good choice for people, who want to buy a new phone and want to use it as well for accessing internet either via the built-in browser or by connecting it to a desktop or notebook computer.

Just saw today in the ‘Bali Post’ that it’s currently on a country-wide promotion in affiliated shops, complete with USB cable for Rp 1.488.000.

In Bali that would be the ‘Handphone Shop’ in Jl. Teuku Umar 134 and BTC Shop in Jl. Teuku Umar 77.

Some more info reg. the above phone you can find here:

http://www.yugatech.com/blog/mobile/lg- ... -3g-phone/

megabeast

Jul 18, 2007
canada
Hey all, read through all your impressive tech talk and still bemused.... Here is the thing, need the fastest, most reliable internet connection possible, need it in Ubud, and need it to be set up quickly. What are my options and is it going to be as fast as north american standards? Is there such thing as internet that almost NEVER goes down? Thanks guys. If somebody has the best Ubud has to offer, could you download this link for me please and tell me how long it takes?

http://www.chadyerrick.com/music/sotd/E ... 20Bars.m4a

Thanks! I get it in 38 second here on ADSL. Tremendous, thanks a million! :)

spitfire

May 7, 2005
Jimbaran
appr. 3 minutes with ADSL fromTelkom Speedy in Denpasar in the morning. Usually gets slower in the afternoon. Downtimes are frequent and I have experienced periods of slow internet that can last for three weeks.