How much is a Big Mac?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Bingo!

Going by the Economist the rupiah price for the Big Mac is 15,900 but they reckon the undervaluation to be %48 in July but that difference could be due to the fluctuation in the $.

In comparison China's currency is %58 undervalued and Thailand's almost the same as Indonesia at %47.

Don't want to lend these light-hearted comparisons too much importance but in a life spent traveling around for business and pleasure I've always found this scale to have a lot more meaning when trying to compare standards and prices of living in various countries than any other scale out there.

For those wishing to learn/read more:

http://www.economist.com/finance/displa ... id=9448015

By the way those looking for an affordable lifestyle should avoid the Ukraine eh Jimbo?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Whoops BaliLife,
I should look at links before opening mouth... yours is rounded down and, I guess, the Economist is rounded up - but what's in 1%?

don

Aug 5, 2007
seattle usa/pekutaten bali
Sorry that I can't comment on the price of a Big Mac, but it brings to mind a question about MacDonalds. Several months back someone mentioned a good seafood restaurant serving shark, and it was near MacDonalds. My problem is I don't know which MacDonalds. I looked around the one in Sanur and on the beach at Kuta, but to no avail. Could someone please give me more precise directions? Thanks

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Tintin it's because the poor French haven't been blessed with Big Macs.

Maybe we should suggest that the Economist uses a new "Quiche" measurement next time? :?:

roadrunna

Apr 6, 2005
Germany
Couldn't it be that the currencies like the US$ and the Euro were inflated in the last 10 years expotential? Just think about that!

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Holy Shit

What the f*ck is all this about?

I'm getting a tad tired with posts here from "arm-chair expats", some of whom wouldn't know the difference between shit and clay.
What's their point? Don't they have a real life of their own?
Are they trying to hijack this forum? If so, why?
Why don't some of you start your own blog sites and leave the rest of us alone?

If I had any meaningful "role" here in the past, I'm rapidly re-considering my future options as a regular respondent. I guess "nonsense" is OK, up to a point. But sheer stupidity is not, at least in my opinion.

Like...as one might say in Australia..."fair f*ckin' dinkum, mate".
McDonald's don't make hamburgers in the first place. They make standardised shit that's available all around the world. The only "good" thing about McDonald's is that the shit's the same wherever you go..so, no surprises.

On the rare occasions I've succumbed to the taste of a crappy McD burger, I've never been disappointed. Still 100% rubbish, which is comforting to know. I've never gotten into a mental discussion with myself about the price I was paying, the international exchange rates at the time, inflation, etc.

I now feel I'm getting a bigger handle on my personal finances after reading the "informative" mumbo-jumbo above.

:shock:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
God, lighten up Phil.

What is it at the moment with the anomosity in here. We will get to the stage where everyone will be frightend to comment on anything in case it is not suitable. There is one arbiter of right and wrong and that is Bert. Comment by all means but at least let it be civil.

The other thing that seems to be happening more and more are the threats to leave. If anyone wants to leave just do it and not make a drama quen scene about doing so.
Well thats me blown off steam beore the New Year :)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Whoooo I'm just sooo put in my place, wow that feeels sooo much better now that I understand where I've been going wrong - thanks Phil or Sanurian, whoever.

When the flashback subsides you might want to take a look at the theme again in some detail as it really doesn't have much of anything to do with McBarf hamburgers at all.

When the walls stop moving Phil just imagine you are somewhere in a horrible westernized nation and contemplating a move to a developing country.

With me so far?

You can ask all day what something costs (in this developing country) but if you have no point of reference the answers don't mean very much.

That's what the Big Mac index does! (you almost got there with your "standardised shit" - sooo close!)

Simply, easily and without reference to brain busting minutia.

I've enjoyed many of your comments in the past and hope to do so in the future but the Prima Donna act isn't up to your usual standard.

Picture a little girl stamping her foot "I'm going to take my ball and go home!" - except you have to leave the ball...

Pass the doobie!

rien.gluvers

Jun 26, 2004
The Netherlands near Rotterdam
Re: RE: How much is a Big Mac?

Jimbo said:
If anyone wants to leave just do it and not make a drama quen scene about doing so.

Here you are very wrong. The people that threatens to leave the forum or left allready are mostly those living on Bali or in Indonesia.

If it goes on there will be an bali-expat form without Bali Expats.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
I belong to about 20 forums, political, musical, and tech and none have the drama and unintentional humour this one does. I'd say it was the sun (mad dogs and englishmen and all that) but since half of you are in colder climes..god knows.

This forum careers more than a Ngurah Rai taxi....

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Jimbo.
God, lighten up Phil.I'm surprised by your comment, but then again, you're in Borat Territory.

As for the others...You really got me going here now. I can't see what else I can offer.

So...GOOD-BYE
No threats of "leaving"...I'm out of here.

Have a great New Year.

:D

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Re: RE: How much is a Big Mac?

rien.gluvers said:
Jimbo said:
If anyone wants to leave just do it and not make a drama quen scene about doing so.

Here you are very wrong. The people that threatens to leave the forum or left allready are mostly those living on Bali or in Indonesia.

If it goes on there will be an bali-expat form without Bali Expats.

You will be staying then I presume???