How do I ship a motorbike to America?

Yvonne

I am in love with my Honda Scoopy and would like to send it to America. I would like to know what this involves? In particular, what company can I hire, how much will it cost and how long will it take?

Thanks,
Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,
I've done it the other way around..meaning from US to Bali. I'm guessing the process of shipping isn't much different i.e. applying for an export-permit here, and import-permit in the US. Registering the bike with the importpermit, getting insurance etcetc..
Then ofcourse shippingcosts, that would be based on size (box) and weight of the bike, and either air or seafreight. Wich one is cheaper would depend on what the end destination of the scoopy (east-coast/westcoast) would be.

However the most cheapest way is to take the bike apart piece by piece and ship it in boxes via insured mail at the postoffice. Then at destination put it back together. But, I have no idea how to register the bike in the US without having the proper paperwork, so maybe this isn't an option from here to the US.

As for a company who can assist you with this, I know 'Crown relocations' to be a internationally known and trusted company. I used their services for other things.

Hi Yvonne,
I've done it the other way around..meaning from US to Bali. I'm guessing the process of shipping isn't much different i.e. applying for an export-permit here, and import-permit in the US. Registering the bike with the importpermit, getting insurance etcetc..
Then ofcourse shippingcosts, that would be based on size (box) and weight of the bike, and either air or seafreight. Wich one is cheaper would depend on what the end destination of the scoopy (east-coast/westcoast) would be.

However the most cheapest way is to take the bike apart piece by piece and ship it in boxes via insured mail at the postoffice. Then at destination put it back together. But, I have no idea how to register the bike in the US without having the proper paperwork, so maybe this isn't an option from here to the US.

As for a company who can assist you with this, I know 'Crown relocations' to be a internationally known and trusted company. I used their services for other things.

Did you take your bike apart before you sent your motorbike from the US to Bali? Did you have to go through Tanjung Perak in Jakarta first before they shipped the bike to Bali?

I would like to import a Bike & car to Bali which I'm happy to go to Surabaya to pickup. I have done the USA to Australia, But would like to know how you have done USA to Bali gilbert?

Thanks for the email gilbert, I have been looking into the import market. I have been told that if its not going to be rego on the road you can bring it in for track work only. one of the local police said they would rego it if I don't take it off the Island. Still looking, but plenty of big bike around so still thinking.:icon_lol:

you're welcome fred2...
When I moved to Bali I too wanted to bring my car, but ater doing some research I came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to buy the same car here (new) then importing my 3 year old one from Holland..hahaha. Import-license, import-tax, registration Jakarta (B-plate) then migrate the car to Bali (plate DK) very time consuming and like I said very expensive..
And it would be left-side drive, wich would make driving even more 'dangerous'...
I know the taking apart and putting it back together is also done with cars...cars being advertised/sold as 'build-up' would mean that they have entered the country in parts. Maybe frame comes in by land from Brunei or Malaysia??

About the bigbike...other then it's enormous joy to ride, having a harley and ofcourse joining a MC either HOG or HDCI it opens up a whole new circle of friends...these friends being Balinese and some are quite influencial people have helped me doing/getting things alot easier..

Back