Hello! (1st time in Bali - music, food, language enthusiast)

EatSpeakLive

Aug 13, 2017
Hi everyone!

Just introducing myself as I'm due to arrive in Indonesia on 28th August and am enrolled to study Gamelan for a year at ISI Denpasar on the Darmasiswa scholarship programme, so I imagine I'll be dropping by here fairly often over coming months.
I'm very excited (and a little daunted) as I've never been to Indonesia before, but have heard great things about the place, the culture and this particular study opportunity.

I have yet to sort out accommodation for myself, but am very keen to explore homestay options in and around Denpasar, at least for the first couple of months, in order to get as much of a grounding and exposure to the local culture and language as possible. (And potentially some additional music tuition!)

If anybody knows of any such opportunities, or has any other advice on getting involved in the local music scene (traditional or otherwise) or achieving a below-the-surface cultural experience in Bali, I'd love to hear from you!

Yours Faithfully,
Will

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
This is a really friendly homestay in the middle of Denpasar. You could definitely stay here until you find your feet.

http://www.nakulafamiliarinn.com/

Can you ride a scooter? It's a bit dangerous for beginners in Denpasar, and if you don't already have your motorbike licence, travel insurance probably won't cover you. Still, you'll really need to rent a scooter if you're going to make the most of your stay. Basically nowhere to rent one in Denpasar though. Head down to Kuta or Sanur and bargain to rent one by the month. Should be between US$60 an US$100.

I'm pretty sure you'll get invited to all the good places, but my friend used to get private lessons from an ISI Lecturer in Singapadu.

It's a pity you missed this year's PKB (Pesta Kesinian Bali), do you think you'll still be here for next year's one? You'll probably be able to perform if you're good enough.

I really envy you. You only get your first trip to Bali once, and you've still got yours ahead of you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyCool

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Welcome EatSpeakLive. I am curious as to why you would dedicate one year of your life to study gamelan, and in Indonesia, no less. I guess you must be an ethnomusicologist?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Welcome EatSpeakLive. I am curious as to why you would dedicate one year of your life to study gamelan, and in Indonesia, no less. I guess you must be an ethnomusicologist?

I've had to listen to so much Gamelan I swear its taken a year out of my life...:D

just kidding ESL...welcome to the forum and to Indonesia/Bali when you arrive...you will have a great experience....enjoy it.
btw... where you from?

Reactions: JohnnyCool

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hey tintin...lighten up feller.
...I am curious as to why you would dedicate one year of your life to study gamelan, and in Indonesia, no less. I guess you must be an ethnomusicologist?
1. Why does anybody study anything?
2. If not in Indonesia, where would you suggest?
Indonesian gamelan originated in Java/Bali so where would be better, in your opinion? Malaysia, India, China, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Madagascar, maybe YouTube?

Last edited:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi EatSpeakLive
DenpasarHouse’s suggested homestay in Jalan Nakula is fine, except that the street it’s in is very narrow, one-way, noisy and often almost in grid-lock. To get from there to ISI would be a bit of a challenge without your own transport. If you decide to rent a motorbike, you will need a licence of some sort (preferably from Australia). You could get a local one (one month at a time), but that can become boring (and time consuming), pretty quickly.

If you haven’t ridden motorbikes in the past, learning in Bali could be suicidal. Even if you have, adjusting to the driver/rider “mentality” here is definitely not for the feint of heart. Available “public transport” in and around Denpasar is either limited or non-existent.

Music and musicians. No shortage there. Most local banjars have some kind of gamelan and times when they practise. If you like local bands (pop, rock, reggae, jazz, etc), there are plenty nightly in Sanur. Even more in Kuta/Legian/Seminyak/Canggu/Tuban, but those areas can be a pain to get to and get back home from.

There is a famous Balinese guitarist/musician called Balawan. One of his groups is called Bali Etnic Fusion, where he combines some gamelan instruments with bass, drums, guitars into a kind of new-age jazz. He plays around the island at various events and internationally. He also has a music school in Denpasar. Worth checking out.

http://balawan.net/

Spicy mentioned Vaughn Hatch in Sanur. He’s an expat who has been trying to preserve traditional dance and gamelan in Bali. Also well-worth checking out.

A small suggestion. Why don’t you look around for a place to stay near ISI? Could save you a lot of time, pain and expense where transport’s concerned. And best wishes on your adventure because it will definitely be one.

ISI map.jpg

School.jpg

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Hey tintin...lighten up feller.

1. Why does anybody study anything?
2. If not in Indonesia, where would you suggest?
Indonesian gamelan originated in Java/Bali so where would be better, in your opinion? Malaysia, India, China, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Madagascar, maybe YouTube?

Lighten up yourself, buddy.

My question was obviously why gamelan in particular, NOT why study anything? Why not the sitar in India, the uilleann pipes in Ireland, or the oud in Egypt? These types of instruments and the music associated with them are also fascinating. Or is ESL already familiar with these types of music and the countries? In other words, since there are only 24 hours in a day, what made ESL make this difficult choice among thousands of possibilities?

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I am curious as to why you would dedicate one year of your life to study gamelan, and in Indonesia, no less.
And now:
My question was obviously why gamelan in particular, NOT why study anything?
Obviously, it wasn’t obvious to me. I read it as somewhat denigrating/condescending that someone would choose to study gamelan in Indonesia...dedicate a year’s life to it.

OK, amigo...each to their own and excuse me for my bad.
Gotta go now - have an advanced geng-gong practice to deal with.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
And now:

Obviously, it wasn’t obvious to me. I read it as somewhat denigrating/condescending that someone would choose to study gamelan in Indonesia...dedicate a year’s life to it.

OK, amigo...each to their own and excuse me for my bad.
Gotta go now - have an advanced geng-gong practice to deal with.

"denigrating/condescending"? On the contrary, if one is to study gamelan, what an amazing opportunity to be able study it at the source, immersed in the culture 24/7! And being able to dedicate ONE year to do it, when most people cannot even afford few weeks vacation per year!

Obviously, there must be a good story as to why gamelan and the chance to do so in Indonesia!

Last edited:

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
I am with Tintin as well, I am curious. I didn't see anything rare in Tintin first post.