Lea

Is the best option to purchase a good world wide extended travel insurance policy renewable every 12 months to live in Bali...??
any help or advice would be appreciated....

This is probably the second most-asked question on the forum. Here are a few previous threads. Some of them are a couple of years old, but the information is still relevant.

Health Insurance

I work in the health insurance industry and often hear of many people opting for travel insurance and whilst this is a cheap alternative to health insurance you can find difficulty in continuing with cover for the following year in the event you have any ongoing medical issues. As an example, say you have a 12 month travel insurance plan this year and become ill with a chronic condition, you may find that next year you are unable to get cover for this illness, however if you had health insurance you would be fully covered for the following renewal if the condition was within the plan coverage.
Travel insurance is there to get you back to your home country (where say in Australia, medical is free) but not for ongoing medical treatment, so if you are planning on staying in Bali long term I would suggest looking at a health insurance plan.
Please feel free to contact me at PT Asialife if you wish to discuss some option on 764 488 or 081 1386 6986. Thanks Nat

I think most travel insurances also mention something of a max stay of 3 months at the exact same location, so that won't work out well if you live in Bali for 12 months...
Why no go for the full covered health insurance and not taking any risks?

Why no go for the full covered health insurance and not taking any risks?

The reason for looking at all other options in addition to the full covered health insurance is the very high cost of the health insurance compared with an alternative of travel insurance.

My concern with the travel insurance is that we actually live in Bali and I would worry that the insurance company could argue that we weren't actually travelling, therefore the policy is void.

It is interesting how relative things can be. In Bali we focus on being evacuated to Singapore or Australia in the event of a serious health issue.
Recently we were talking to a woman from the U.K. who has lived on the tiny island of Gili Trewangan for years. She had a stroke and was ever so grateful to be evacuated by helicoptor to Bali. She cannot speak highly enough of her neurologist at BIMC where she says she had the very best of care.

Back