Greetings

agr44

Nov 17, 2023
Hi all.

My wife and I are looking into retiring to Bali from Sydney in the next 2-3 years, and I would like to do as much research as possible before that. Planning to take a few few trips over there in the meantime. We have been there multiple times, but only as tourists. Will probably try to live less of a tourist life the next couple of visits.

I'm sure we will find a lot of useful tips here in this forum.

Reactions: Balifrog

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hey there. "search" is your friend. If that hasn't answered your questions then ask, but some of the other members can be a bit abrasive and/or needy so be warned.

And the Dutch all think they're still running the place. Order everyone around like we're all wogs.

Your Ozzy countrymen are a bunch of unintelligible cradle snatchers that drink too much.

And then there's the French! Don't get me started on the French - think boiling water is worth a Michelin star, steal all the old widowed local girls and poor carton plonk into their Merlot bottles.

Brits are the only trustworthy sources of valuable information BUT only respond to large portions of a nicely aged cheese, preferable of European heritage.

Cheerio and hope your breakout from the antipodean prison camp is successful.

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
HOY!
Cradle snatchers who drink too much ?

I resemble that remark.
Or is it I resent that remark?

Whatever...
Now where is my bintang and bag of lollies
:)

Cheers
Honest officer, she told me she was 17
Ken

PS agr44 the one you REALLY have to watch is Markit. Use the search function and all will be revealed. ;)

Reactions: agr44

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
Hey there. "search" is your friend. If that hasn't answered your questions then ask, but some of the other members can be a bit abrasive and/or needy so be warned.

And the Dutch all think they're still running the place. Order everyone around like we're all wogs.

Your Ozzy countrymen are a bunch of unintelligible cradle snatchers that drink too much.

And then there's the French! Don't get me started on the French - think boiling water is worth a Michelin star, steal all the old widowed local girls and poor carton plonk into their Merlot bottles.

Brits are the only trustworthy sources of valuable information BUT only respond to large portions of a nicely aged cheese, preferable of European heritage.

Cheerio and hope your breakout from the antipodean prison camp is successful.
How could you go through that list without mentioning the Russians?!

agr44

Nov 17, 2023
Thanks all for the sage advice :). Drinking too much I'm down with, but cradle snatching will be out of the question with a jealous and violent wife around.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks all for the sage advice :). Drinking too much I'm down with, but cradle snatching will be out of the question with a jealous and violent wife around.
Don't worry she'll be gone before the first year is out. Western women can't stand it here, they don't like being recognized as 3rd or 4th class citizens AND they'll see the other expats strutting around with some nubile, honey brown local babe half her age with tits up by her shoulders and will be sure you'll be doing the same when her back is turned.

In all fairness she'll be right too.

• Haha
Reactions: Balifrog and agr44

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
Don't worry she'll be gone before the first year is out. Western women can't stand it here, they don't like being recognized as 3rd or 4th class citizens AND they'll see the other expats strutting around with some nubile, honey brown local babe half her age with tits up by her shoulders and will be sure you'll be doing the same when her back is turned.

In all fairness she'll be right too.
Sounds like you're speaking from experience. Is that how your first wife left you?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Welcome to the forum. Obviously you found a poor time to find anyone sober. The best test to finding what suits you is to try various locations in accordance with your needs and desires.
To provide some locations might have already occurred since you have been here in the past. But here is a shot:
1. the south as you have probably learned is too congested with traffic, although Sanur has its appeal.
2. the north coast can be draught smitten although due to that fact cheap land is available.
3. the Ubud area has had appeal in the past, but currently so over ridden with tourists is possibly more expensive for a permanent stay.
4.the east coast is where Markit lives.......enough said. (Just a shot, due to his persistent preference)
5.the west coast area is developing and property is beginning to rise in price. The rub is the long trek southward for facilities. A toll road has been under construction, and now in the midst of gaining a new contractor. So the problems of the past are in the midst of being repaired.
The sage advice has always been to come here and try different areas for several months each and learn what appeals in accordance to your needs and wants.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Best thing is to write down your priorities...
Do you want
- be near the beach or not
- have western stocked supermarket nearby ? (Not speaking about Indomart, / Alfamart who have zero proper foodstuff)
- be close to the airport
- be close to a 1st class hospital
- have western restaurants nearby
- have a western community around
- do you like the crowds or not ?

Once that list established, work by elimination...

If you like western restaurants and food available, forget @Markit country, if you like it quiete forget Seminyak, if you ar 65 old forget Cangu, if you are not a yoga-meditation-cultural B.S addict forget Ubud, etc...

Oh, and one more.thing, don't come to Sanur, it's shiite .....

Reactions: sakumabali

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023
Best thing is to write down your priorities...
Do you want
- be near the beach or not
- have western stocked supermarket nearby ? (Not speaking about Indomart, / Alfamart who have zero proper foodstuff)
- be close to the airport
- be close to a 1st class hospital
- have western restaurants nearby
- have a western community around
- do you like the crowds or not ?

Once that list established, work by elimination...

If you like western restaurants and food available, forget @Markit country, if you like it quiete forget Seminyak, if you ar 65 old forget Cangu, if you are not a yoga-meditation-cultural B.S addict forget Ubud, etc...

Oh, and one more.thing, don't come to Sanur, it's shiite .....
You forgot to mention area for good wifi to get a connection package to watch Australian Rules Football.
1701136416570.png

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
Welcome to the forum. Obviously you found a poor time to find anyone sober. The best test to finding what suits you is to try various locations in accordance with your needs and desires.
To provide some locations might have already occurred since you have been here in the past. But here is a shot:
1. the south as you have probably learned is too congested with traffic, although Sanur has its appeal.
2. the north coast can be draught smitten although due to that fact cheap land is available.
3. the Ubud area has had appeal in the past, but currently so over ridden with tourists is possibly more expensive for a permanent stay.
4.the east coast is where Markit lives.......enough said. (Just a shot, due to his persistent preference)
5.the west coast area is developing and property is beginning to rise in price. The rub is the long trek southward for facilities. A toll road has been under construction, and now in the midst of gaining a new contractor. So the problems of the past are in the midst of being repaired.
The sage advice has always been to come here and try different areas for several months each and learn what appeals in accordance to your needs and wants.
If you want to persuade this person to never live in Bali, job well done! Anything positive about living here?

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
You forgot to mention area for good wifi to get a connection package to watch Australian Rules Football.
View attachment 3895
Considering my origin you will understand that it doesn't even appear on the auxiliairy list....

For an Aussie enough "sports bars" to shout in front of the TV while downing big Bintangs everywhere on this island ?