Global Extreme

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Anyone using Global Extreme out there?

I am moving and my current supplier doesnt service the new area. Global Extreme seem to be the only ISP offering high speed service. They are doing a site survey next week.

So I am interested in any feedback Global Extreme customers might have.

Thanks

G

I haven't used GlobalExtreme's wireless service but from what I know it's pretty ordinary, 128kbps. I'm not sure what the set up costs are. It also depends on how far away you are from their broadcast sites.

If the set up costs look high, i.e. you need to install an expensive antenna, you might want to check when 3.5g is going to be available in that area. It is a lot cheaper and faster that any of the wireless services.

G

I should say 3.5g is cheaper and faster than any of the other wireless services.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Its not going to be a wireless service I will have a fixed line into the house, though it seems I can buy somthing for another Rp800,000 which will make it wireless.

Im going for their fastest offering 500kbps

The only other offering in the area is Mentari 128kbps not fast enough for my needs.

G

Oh ok, that must be a shared fixed line. It is still a wireless service I think but there must be a central W-LAN tower that has fixed cables to the users in the complex.

The only two choices for fully cabled services are dialup an adsl, both running over telephone lines. There is some talk of internet delivery over the cables used for pay tv but as far as I know it hasn't happened yet.

The 512kbps is shared. A dedicated 512kbps service from GlobalXtreme is quoted on their website at IDR25,000,000 per month!

How much is the shared service?

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
I used Global and my best friend currently does - I was always dissapointed with the service and she is too! It was never fast and more often painfully slow - service personel were sent many times when finally one told me there to many users and the owners don't care about it - sign em up and let em suffer is what it felt like. It pricey to install. 3.5 from telkom, indosat, and xl sounds like a much better option depending on your location - now that I'm north of the bud I'm waiting for Wimax which is to come in Feb.

Research every option very well before going global.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
The set up fee for Global Extreme is Rp2.5 juta and the monthly charge for the shared 512kbps is Rp1,100,000.

They are doing the site survey tomorow. The only other service I can find for the area is Mentari and thats 128kbps not fast enough for my needs.

Allan you mentioned the cable TV being used for internet. Someone has just now suggested that Indovision are already offering this service so I am going to give them a call.

I have to say I am with Indosat at the moment IM2 via Starone 230kbps and though at first I found the speed very good, since they changed frequency a few weeks ago the signal is dropping off a lot and I am getting disconnected frequently.

Global Extreme will be cheaper per month for me - if it is at least equal to what Im gtting now I will be happy, but it sounds like it should be faster.

I'll let you know how it goes.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
I'm with Global on the 512 and its ok. They seem to have lots of outages. Their support staff try too but really have no idea and have a tendency to lie about problems!

Also their bank (BCA in Kuta) rejects half their payments and then they cut your off without warning. When I suggested that an email saying ones account was overdue might be appropriate they said they were far too big for that!

However as time goes on, unless they up their game and improve their speed and pricing the market might leave them behind.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
one ting about GE..they respond when you get very angry as both myself and my wife have from time to time..and you need to.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
SG, Thanks for the info - when you say thay have a lot of outages - how much is a lot and how long to they tend to last?

I have to say it's not sounding promising, I thnk I will call them tomorrow and have a more detailed chat.

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Mimi - have you looked into xl 3.5, you haven't said yes or no.
You can get the mobile reciever and first 3 months (1gig traffic) for under 2 mill. And it's as fast as you can get on the island - if your in their service area there is no competition!

My idea of good customer service is not having to yell at staff or having them come to my house every other week, it's having a good product to begin with. Also speedy blows away GE.

I'm a good laugh right now cuz I just got a quote from blueline in Ubud - 2.9m for their attena and over 8 F'Million for a 24 meter pole, ha!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Hi DC

No I havent looked into xl 3.5 It sounds like I should. I'll look them up now. My hp is on xl & I had a reasonable signal up there. Assuming its using their signal. I know so little about how this all works. :s

Guess what Global didnt turn up today for the site survey. Good start!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Oh and Blueline were the first company I looked at last year. They messed me about so much too over the survey - down to me flying back from Lombok especially for it and they didnt show up for days and when they did they didnt even do the survey that I eventaully gave up on them.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Re: RE: Global Extreme

mimpimanis said:
Oh and can I ask what package you are on? Not that I even know if it makes a difference to the outages.

Thanks
Gemma

same one you were looking at. They are too cheap to have a technician there at night so if it goes down at 9pm you have to wait until 8am for service. Its happened three times in the last ten days. They seem to be getting worse.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Does anyone know if 3.5G works ok for a network. I have a wireless network in my place, coming off the GE tower...3 computers on it.

patatje

Nov 30, 2004
belgium, semarang, bali.....
Hello,
I read something on a dutch forum where they were talking and being enthousiastic about Telkomsel Flash. Lot of them use wifi on many places because many routers are not secured.
Mimpimanis, I wanted to take a look at your website but I could only see the index-page. I could not click further. Maybe it's not finished, but in case it is finished I just wanted to let you know.

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Hi Mimpi
Not that I'm an expert on internet in Bali, but if the GE service is a 'shared' 512, with fixed lines to a wireless antenae in the complex, I would be really wary.
1. security could be a big issue. Make sure that they have adequate security in place. How are they securing your data? How are they preventing those outside from hooking in?

2. bigger issue would be bandwidth. You would likely be sharing the bandwidth with everyone else. If there is traffic, think of it like peak hour on the roads - everything comes to a grinding halt, or at best is really slow.

My parents have a similar setup here in Australia in their retirement village, and if someone goes online and does a big download (music, video etc) their speed drops to about a 16k equivelant - not even fast enough for them to do standard internet banking.

Just something to consider.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Re: RE: Global Extreme

FreoGirl said:
Hi Mimpi
Not that I'm an expert on internet in Bali, but if the GE service is a 'shared' 512, with fixed lines to a wireless antenae in the complex, I would be really wary.
1. security could be a big issue. Make sure that they have adequate security in place. How are they securing your data? How are they preventing those outside from hooking in?

2. bigger issue would be bandwidth. You would likely be sharing the bandwidth with everyone else. If there is traffic, think of it like peak hour on the roads - everything comes to a grinding halt, or at best is really slow.

My parents have a similar setup here in Australia in their retirement village, and if someone goes online and does a big download (music, video etc) their speed drops to about a 16k equivelant - not even fast enough for them to do standard internet banking.

Just something to consider.

The sharing occurs before it hits the wireless tower, and it comes off that to a router which has a hardware firewall so security has never been a real problem.

In my experience slowdown is not really a problem, the only real issue being the loss of connection from time to time (been fine since last Friday night).

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Speeds for Global depend on location - so ask locally. XL 3.5 (I think it has the largest coverage) is available only in populated south and a few other locations. Speedy also has limited access - I was happy with it. My experience would have me using Global or Bluline ONLY as a last resort.

I would think you'd have your choice in Sanur. Good Luck