Fiskal

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
I was very pleased to see the Fiskal waiver in the Bali Advertizer last week..for travel to ASEAN countries as per the free trade agreement between the signatories.

Then today, from Bali Discovery

A recent article in the Bali Advertiser announcing that Indonesian Citizens and Foreign residents in Indonesia are now exempted from paying the mandatory Rp. 1 million fiscal fee (approximately US$109.00) each time they departed Indonesia for a neighboring ASEAN country has been quashed by local tax authorities.

I don't think I'm alone in being offended by this tax...I can afford it, but most Indonesians can't. It feels like keep em home, keep em dumb.

And, I believe, under ASEAN rules it's technically a breach of the treaty. I know of one company doing very large orders to the Pacific and The US, who moved their office and production to the Philippines partially because of it, the two owners paid some fifty million over twelve months and decided enough was enough.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
I think the story comes from a 2000 agreement made with ASEAN...it's obligatory to allow free unfettered travel between ASEAN nations under their treaties....Indonesia agreed, even announced it..but then never implemented it. Since international treaties have, I believe, the force of law..technically Indonesia may be breaking the law by collecting this.

There is even a link to the announcment here:

http://www.indoprof.com/default.asp?page=6news.asp

but the link is now dead.

And I agree ...its ridiculous and offensive to the people of Indonesia and those who wish to do business here. An authoritarian relic.

CAP

Jun 9, 2006
Australia
Hi Jimbo,no news on the 120 day Visa or for that matter the Dual citizenship debate,I believe that some on the forum have applied and maybe received dual citizenship for their kids but as yet we have no posts regarding the ins and out of this issue.
Oh well Its back to the grind tommorow after ANZAC day,, strange life in Oz after many years in Indo.but I keep the dream alive ,sometimes its the only way to get thru the day..........Bakso.....Rombang.....Mau kemana Pak.Miss it all I do.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Big? by indonesia standards it is small. I only have my wife and 4 of my 6 children going on this trip. It is 35 pound sterling per application or $70 US x 6 that id $420 US :)

Flights another $8400 and then hotels, food enjoyment maybe $20-25000 US for the trip or more. On top of all that I am buying a house in the city, refurbishing my house in the kampung and burying my father in law.

I would guess a conservitive estimate that this trip in total will cost $135,000. Looks like I will have to work another couple of years before retiring :)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
You will have to define MODERN for me to answer that but I can assure you that it is not a HUGE family but more of the norm. My wife has 9 brothers and sisters none of which has less than 5 children.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I always thought they did :) Lot of Chinese girls in Bahrain (about 35k from me) at the moment. Perhaps I should go and ask about my god like abilities in person? :)

Ouch...No Darling froggy and me were just having a joke.

G

Yes unfortunately you will have to pay it. Australia is not an ASEAN country so the waiver doesn't apply.

Unless it's changed recently you pay it at the airport. At Ngurah Rai there is a small window facing the bottom of the escalators that go up to the departure area.

spitfire

May 7, 2005
Jimbaran
Yep, I will be paying my 1 million Fiskal + 100.000 airporttax again tomorrow again.. But I still haven't found out why Indonesians and KITAS holders need to pay this high amount? I also had to pay an extra 200.000 to get my exit permit done within a day, as I am leaving in a hurry... Do Indonesian citizens have to apply for an exit permit?

G

No as far as I know Indonesian citizens don't need an exit permit. I think that is a condition of your visa.

bukit

Aug 4, 2006
Australia
My wife is an Indonesian passport holder but a permanent resident in Australia . By changing the address, to her address here in Australia she does not pay fiscal [Bebas fiskal] still have to fill in forms for fiskal but! the address change can be made at the Indonesian embassy

G

When you say "changing the address" do you mean in your wife's Indonesian passport? My wife's passport has a "lapor diri" stamp but on the last page there is also a stamp with her Indonesian address. Is that the address that needs to be changed?

Do you have to fill in a fiskal exemption form. Do you do that at the airport?

bukit

Aug 4, 2006
Australia
yes In her Indonesian passport.. The stamp on the last page where the Indonesian address is .Is the one to be changed to the Australian address . when we leave bali we fill the fiskal exemption form at the normal fiscal counter at the airport .she still has to pay the normal departure tax but .