Explosions in Kuta / Jimbaran

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I’m doing my utmost to find out if these were suicide bombers or not, for if they were, then this changes things dramatically. Best information I have is that the Raja bombing may have been by a suicide bomber, but the two devices in Jimbaran seem to have been planted, either hidden under chairs, or buried in the sand as initially reported.

As we all know from the Iraqi experience, suicide bombers, especially when operating within the country of their nationality, are almost impossible to detect. How many of us are used to Indonesians riding around on motor bikes with thick oversized winter type coats?

If this proves to be accurate, i.e. the implementation of suicide bombers in Bali, then my kids will not be returning to their private school in Denpasar after the holiday next week. I’d rather enroll them in our village school for as long as it takes for this matter to be resolved, or played out.

Just returning from Komang’s oton with the high priestess, I can say that I did ask her about this. My cousin (who accompanied me on my recent walk about) was also there for unrelated consultations, so I posed the question to both independently. Their answers were identical…neither, and I suspect most Balinese, do not wish to cloud their minds right now with Galungan being right around the corner. Neither wanted to think about it, and reading between the lines, neither were too happy I raised the question.

I should have seen this coming, as even my wife is not too keen in watching the news about it, or discussing it. To some, this may seem like “sweeping the dirt under the carpet” or sticking one’s head in the ground, or even outright denial. Relying only on my years of experience living with the Balinese, I doubt it is anything than what the high priestess and my cousin said.

In essence, what they were saying was, “in due time.” Remarkable, and admirable patience. Very Asian, very Balinese, and still very difficult for me to get used to.

mariathe

Feb 14, 2005
Norfolk, UK
I am so sorry to hear about this. We went to Bali for the first time this year, and loved it. We met some very nice Balinese, and I hope they are all safe and well, and also all of you living there.

Jake

May 30, 2005
Australia
Roy: I believe it was suicide bombers. Media here in Australia showed one of them as he detonated the explosion.

When slowed down, one of the films taken during the explosion showed him.

He was just a guy carrying what looked like a grey backpack. He went a couple of steps and then *bang*.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Explosions in Kuta / Jimbaran

Bert said:
Just came back from diner in Lovina.

The disco "Vulcano Club" was closed, usually crowded on Saturday.

Many people, and police on the street.

Some people in restaurants, heard some calls, "We are Safe"
Any more information on the Vulcano Club, Bert. Was there a problem there?