Expatriate Children on Bali

rerebali

Jan 14, 2009
Hi Sergio,

I am new here and read most of articles related to children schooling and stuff. I am Indonesian who live in holland for 6 years now. I am planning to go back to Bali again for good with my (almost) 3 years old son.

I know this is an old post/subject but i am wondering if you already live in Bali and has different opinion about your worries you mentioned about not giving the best option for your children in regards with education. I have the same worry...too much worry about this stuff and I am an Indonesian:). And my kid is only 3y.

And what school later will be good for him. I would like to give the best option i can for him for the future. As we all know, International school is very expensive.

I am wondering if you can share some stories again here about this matter. Also for the rest of the member who has this experience.

Dank jullie allemaal. Thanks alot.
Rere

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Hi Rere, welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately we are still stuck in -40C Canada! We still dream of moving back to Bali but we are still a ways out. I have a good job now which will let us save some money, however, its going to be at least 5+ years before we can try to make a permanent move to Bali.

I trust other can let you more about the current school situation in Bali.

Cheers!

Sergio

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
There is a one off fee to enrol of 9 million. That is the biggest expense.

The others are

100,000. registration
400,000 uniform
900,000 yearly fee

Tuition is either Rp1,500,000 or Rp1,800.000 per term depending on if your child goes 3/5 days (for pre school)

Tuition is in english but there are no native speakers, the teachers are all Indonesian.

I really like the school and am happy with it and Martin enjoys it too.

Another forum members child is in Martin's class. Though he hasnt been on the forum since moving to Bali. It isnt all expat children though.

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
Thanks for that Mimpi, its certainly a lot cheaper than international schools, also i dont mind if classes are mixed, indo/western/mix i feel it gives kids a better outlook on life. We westerners tend to overindulge even in education. In the early years, interaction with other kids of different nationalities is a big plus. Might check it out during the year, thanks again :wink:

rerebali

Jan 14, 2009
Thanks Mimpi,

Good to know, i will read more for details. I'll be in Bali hopefully in April.

Btw, I am still looking for a house to rent around Taman Griya area...hope wont be too difficult:) its ideal that the school is in Jimbaran, not too far.

sergio, its better to be sure before doing something that big....took me few years to decide to go back to Bali, I find it difficult but here I am planning to go back again:) save as much money as possible:))

Cheers,

ps. English is not my first language,hope i dont make too many mistakes:)

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
On that subject Mimpi, I was just watching Seseme Street, :roll: , with my daughter of course, and they use mixed nationalities in their actors assisting big bird etc. I have always considered Seseme Street the best kids show around, just another example :D

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Did you know that there is now an indonesian version called Jalan Sesama?

I haven't seen it being aired here, as it is on Tran7 on one of the channels we dont get clearly. However martin does have a cople of the original Sesame Street DVDs (In Indonesian)

Two of Martin's favorites are Dora The Explorer & Diego. Which I also like think are pretty good.