Drunk foreigner bashed in Kuta

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Aton,

Sorry for my own "dumb" remark, but I hear this same remark of yours,

As for free healthcare in NZ well nothing is free ask the tax payer !

all the time in the US from most people (or at least it seems, according to the media) who would rather suffer under an expensive (the most expensive in the world, although far from the best) and inequitable health care system, instead of a much cheaper and fairer single, government-sponsored, health care system. I get incensed each time I hear these people disingenuously pointing out that the "free care" is in fact not free, therefore "end of discussion." This is a red herring. :x :x

So these people, hanging up their sole argument on the label "free," in the mislabeled "free health care" system, declare it a hoax, and they end up "throwing the babe out with the bath water." :x :evil:

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
spicyayam said:
Balibule, I have been thinking about this the past few days and thinking about the bouncer system we have in Oz. Problem is these guys are probably getting paid a pittance and I doubt there is anyway you can expect them to take courses in crowd control.

I heard some good advice from a bouncer once. If you want to get a drunk person to do what you want, you need to say something like, "Mate, can you help me out here." and then ask for your request. If you say something like "dont do this" then they can get aggressive.

If the bouncers had some basic training they would know dozens of ways to use restrain a person, causing them enough discomfort to the person so they can then be removed from the club.

It's a tragedy that no one was willing to help them. It's not just Bali, but these kinds of things happen anywhere around the world.

The hospital could hold your passport or something until the bill was paid.

Or just do what I do and slip the bouncer you have befriended at the clubs a 50,000rp and he will look after you like you are his brother.
Saved me a few times when some drunk Aussie and a few drunk locals did not realise my GF was exactly that, and not a "pay for play " girl.
The bouncer was quick to remove the offending person from the premises and in the locals case was banned form ever setting foot in Mbargo again..

But he did not have to resort to violence and the offender was ejected unharmed.
At the Bounty , it is a different scenario due to the aggressive nature of the young crowd ( mainly aussies I am sad to say ) who always are quick to jump on or into a fight if any aggression is shown by anyone.
I suggest there may be another side to the story..

Cheers
Ken

Anton

Dec 27, 2008
No problem tin :D yes shame that the US has so much wealth yet many go without :!:
Capitalism at its worst i guess still its capitalism that has made America a super power im thinking and its going to cost many many more trillions to remain that way even with a new president with big idea's !

well still no new news about this fellows untimely death,reading the post about the aggressive nature of many young folk kinda rings true especially when alchohol is involved,living here in melbourne i too see alot of this kind of behaviour though its to be expected in some age groups but these days it seems to have crossed lines my generation would never go but drink and drugs fast cars and free money supply seems to have spoilt both the guys and the girls nothing more revolting than seeing a young girl pissed and abbusive :shock: and the biggest national discrase is what they call schoolies week on the gold coast where young teenies rent appartments all over the town and procede to get as pissed as possible and of course drugs are involved plus many fights and its not just the guys dont get me wrong im not old fashioned but i fear its just another step towards an unsociable out of control society in which we all pay a high price in the end :evil:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
One of the accused for bashing the Kiwi is Indonesian boxer Andreas Seran.

The boy's mother is saying they did have insurance. Although now they can't afford the eight grand to bring the body home.

One newspaper reported they were on a honeymoon, but it appears they hadn't been going out for too long.

The girl is back in NZ and has told her story here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2342269 ... n-my-arms/

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
I've read the link posted by spicyayam,
It's an nice written story, but highly unlikely anything happened the way it's described in that story.
Too many things don't make sense....a 'trained' boxer doesn't hit the stomach, but either goes for the kidney, the plexus solaris, or the liver. If he has a clear shot(punch) to the jaw/chin he goes for that...so since the story says his arms were held behind his back...only a fool goes for the stomach.
Then Seran(the boxer) took a swing at the woman and injured her wrist, hahaha. As if a woman could succesfully block a punch thrown by a 'pro'. (No disrespect to women intended)
A jab...maybe but a swing, forget it.
Then she was not allowed to get to her hubbie, and suddenly they (together) were pushed out??
Then back at the bungalow she thinks he's not that bung in the head, but going out for help again...frantically???
He woke up, and then she thinks it's the best thing to keep him awake...c'mon is it just me, or does this make sense?
Another strange thing (among many more strange things I don't mention now)...the ambulance comes when you're dead, but not if you're wounded?? Wonder why....
Again..it's a sad incident and could have been so easily avoided, now he's dead according to the story over a 50.000 rupiah coupon....
friendly greetings, Gilbert.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
There are many sides to the story. I read a report elsewhere that when the ambulance was originally "requested" it was just asked how much.. it was not explained the seriousness of the incident. had it been we are told it would have been dispatched immediately. Somewhere I also read the girl said they didnt have the required Rp3 juta to pay in advance and the atms here only give 1 juta.... but had she known she could have taken that 5x!

It does sound to me as I said before that they didnt realise the seriousness of the injuries. Or why go back to the room ( for which they also had to move the patient) or not make some other effort to get him to hospital.

As for the Indo boxer not being involved as he wasnt taking the best punches for maximum damage... well maybe he weas drunk too! I am sure I have heard before in the west when a boxer has been charged with fighting it is considered more serious because he knows and understands exactly what damages CAN be done!

It doesnt matter if the NZ guy was in the wrong in anyway to start off with in my book. security staff should be about stopping trouble... customer services lets say... rather than beating up the customers with thier mates!

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
We weren't there, so we can only guess.

Fact is, the guy died because of injuries by an excess of violence, and no ambulance came to help.

Question.

Do you ever feel that there is aggression in Bali (towards foreigners or the locals themselves), either openly or lurking beneath?

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Hi mimpimanis,

I wasn't suggesting the boxer wasn't involved, I am only stating that in no way it could have happened as described by that reporter. I am saying that a boxer(even if he's drunk) goes for the so called k.o. punches. And therefor doesn't have to keep hitting. I have many friends who do fightsports, kickboxing, cagefighting etcetc, on weekends they are doormen at clubs/disco's and if customers get into some fight with eachother, the point is to end the fight as quickly as possibe(under 30 seconds) and get both parties outside, so other customers don't have any unconvenience. 10 minutes of fighting inside is impossible in the Netherlands. Fighting with a doorman, doesn't even enter the minds of the agressor (dutch), they are to big and very well trained. It has happened that a brave soul (tourist) wanted to take on a doorman, but that fight can't even be called a fight, was over in seconds. The big difference is that the doorman in Amsterdam will call the ambulance for you if one is needed. But ussualy the purpetrator is being held, till the police arrive (5 minutes) and is being handed over. Lately the doormen do wear bulletproof vests, because it has happened that a guy (dutch) who was thrown out, later came back and shot a few bullets at(through) the door, thought he was safer at a long distance attack :roll: .

Think you are very right mimpimanis, that they (his wife) underestimated the injuries which he suffered from. And as I described above, I clearly also agree that 'bouncers' are there to prevent violence, or quickly ending it.

As for Bert's question... I have not yet and hope never will encounter any agression by Balinese towards me, I have also never seen any fight's between locals. Arguments yes, but never beyond the point that I think any second now, someone is going to get physically hurt.
I do find that there is alot of jealousy between locals, which I don't really understand.
What about you Bert, you have been longer on this Island then me. Did you witness any hostility against foreigners or experienced it your self? I am not talking about some other expats, who are trying to discredit you, your business or the forum, which btw their motivation for doing so is beyond me. Probably also jealousy-based, so in my eyes small-minded people. I am more interested in your experience with Balinese people.
Friendly greetings.......Gilbert.

Anton

Dec 27, 2008
Well havent the media stired up another story ! while trying to find more on this subject i found new news kind of related like i read on one forum that bali has a special tourist ambulance which is free and also i read if you get pulled up by the balinese police you can if you are a tourist insist that you be directed to the tourist police :| hihihi i dont think i believe either though feel free to comment and also this nz guy is quoted to be a property developer in his home town so the question of money should never have been the issue so can we just put this down to an unfortunate incident and like MiM said about the injuries didnt seem to be fatal at the time which is possible with brain injuries and in the end its that dam media who like to run rampant with there distortions.

Nantiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Hi anton,
maybe that tourist ambulance is just a stretched version of a minivan, hihihihi. Tourist's seem to be a bit taller, then the Balinese.
If I ever have to use an ambulance, based on the ones I have seen, I wouldn't fit lying down.
The tourist-police is mainly to overcome the language-barrier, local police aren't that 'fluent' in English and the T.P. neither 'fluent' but can make themself understandable.
btw, Anton you asked me something in another thread....answer is yes.
Friendly greetings y'all,
Gilbert.