Do not accept Bali for what it is.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Yo Bert, you obviously did not read the bibliography I posted, for if you did, you would realize that the top scholars of Paul Gaugin/Gauguin spell his name as Gaugin. Those scholars include Lesley Stevenson, Lawrence Hanson, and others.

Your link to a worthless web site is pathetic, as it is useless and not proferred by a Gaugin scholar. I surely hope you are not a prisoner of the internet...believing everything you read there.

Bert, when it comes to issues regarding real estate in Bali, I will defer to you in a heart beat. But when it comes to issues of history, or art history, it may pass that I eat you alive.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Ok, I hope your scholars will try to rectify all the encyclopedias.

They are all wrong ! And the Van Gogh museum as well !!

Selamat Makan !!

zonobono

Aug 24, 2005
switzerland
actually, it has to be spelled gaug u in.

spelled gaugin, the second 'g' would be spoken as a soft 'shhh'.

the second u after the second g makes the 'g' pronounced as a hard 'g'.

sorry for my poor english, but my french is pretty good :)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I really could not resist that one :lol:

As a native Frenchman, I feel more than qualified to speak on this subject, i.e. the spelling of Paul Gauguin. Like always, not withstanding his bullying, his degree in art history, and his experts such as "Lesley Stevenson, Lawrence Hanson, and others," Roy is once more full of it.

The 2 "g" in Gauguin are hard "g." The rule in French on the pronounciation of the "g" is as follows:

In front of the vowels "a," " o," "u,' and "y," the "g" is a HARD "g." (to make it soft, a "e" must follow it).

In front of the vowels "e, and "i," the "g" is soft. To make it hard in front of these 2 vowels, the "g" must be followed by a "u."

Like Bert says "That's it!"

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
The notes scam was happening near us in Lombok last year.

Try as I did to convince Made it was a con he still believes it was magic :roll:

(this one is an animal story - Roy please dont give me strife :wink: )

I wouldn't be surprised if some people in our village thought I could do magic.

During Ramadan last year, someone dropped off another puppy in our place. We had already decided we could not take on any more strays and as with the previous few I shusshed it out the gates and it ran out straight under a bemo :shock:

I ran and picked the limp little body of the ground & placed him on the grass verge. This was about 6pm so the road was full of young people taking a walk before they broke their fast. Regular members here will know how I feel about animals & having caused this I was really upset I was :cry: & stroking the poor thing. All of a sudden his eyes opened, he stood up, gave himself a little shake & was fine! :p

Anyway, guilt over the incident got the better of me & Jage or Puppy as we still call him is the latest member of our menagerie.

Another one of our dogs is believed to be magic. Panther (I Know but Made named him) is all blackand he has black spots on his toungue. The tounge means that if a malling tries to give him magic to make Panther sleep, while he robs us, the magic wont work. Even our vey told us we should be careful of people trying to steal him & cut out his tounge to use for magic :shock:

And a final magic story.... one of our guests came home from surfing recently, with a story he had heard from some of the locals in a village about 5km away, how our homestay has magical protection from theives. Apparently we are guarded by snakes. They said on three occasions "trespassers" had try to come onto our property & had been bitten by snakes.

Maybe we do have some magic after all! :D

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Being French is hardly enough a qualification to being a scholar in art history, but considering the source of that assumption, I am hardly surprised.

This Page is dedicated to Paul GAUGIN

http://www.alptuna.com/public/marquesas/GAUGIN.htm

Even within this web page, Gaugin is spelled both as Gaugin and Gauguin. Both spellings are considered correct, and both have been used variously by Gaugin/Gauguin scholars. THAT is truly it!

Mimpi....great magic stories. I suspect that in Lombok these stories are even more common than on Bali.

zonobono

Aug 24, 2005
switzerland
i'm sorry roy, but it's obvious you don't know anything about the french lanquage.

and citing other people, who know as much about it as you do, won't help it :)

G A U G U I N :lol:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Yea, you're right. I'm sure those scholars that wrote books about Paul Gaugin, spelling his name as Gaugin are just as dumb as I am! :p As for the French language, who cares, except of course the French? :shock:

zonobono

Aug 24, 2005
switzerland
Re: RE: Do not accept Bali for what it is.

Roy said:
Yea, you're right. I'm sure those scholars that wrote books about Paul Gaugin, spelling his name as Gaugin are just as dumb as I am! :p As for the French language, who cares, except of course the French? :shock:

i'm tempted to agree with your first sentence, but, of course, out of politeness, i won't do it :) . i wouldn't call it 'dumb', but simply disrespectful to a great painter.

as to 'who cares for the french lanquage'...i do, my mother is french, that's why.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Its Gauguin Roy. Use the Google spelling checker, its free, or Microsoft Word. They are just as stubborn as I am.

Anyway.

While we are spelling, how do people pronounce Bali ?

The Balinese put the accent on the I, did you know?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Yes Bert, like Baleee. You ought to hear them pronounce Gaugin! :p

Bert, It's either way with that French painter's last name, but don't take my word for it...write to the scholars who used my spelling and forget Google! :p

Are we done?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Davo, clearly you have never met Bert, for if you had, you'd know it would take a yard stick to do the job. :lol:

Davo

Jan 4, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
lol roy.

I do hope very much that can meet all of you in Bali 1 day soon.

Tell me. It would seem that a lot of you expats meet. Is there a set aside date that forum members came together or does it happen spasmodically?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
or does it happen spasmodically?

Definitely "spasmodically." :)

Over the years I have met about 10 or so forum members "in the flesh." The problem is that most of us that live here are pretty well spread out all over Bali, and most of us are busy, so coordinating a "get together" is not so easy.

Great idea though, for sure.