Do not accept Bali for what it is.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Back in my college days at U. of Wisconsin, Madison, I had a marvelous professor, the renowned Austrian sculptor Leo Steppet. He was a gifted artist, witty, with a great sense of humor. One evening, in the course of a panel discussion on esthetics, being challenged by one Ph.D. candidate in art history, he responded:

“An art historian is as qualified to speak about art as a eunuch is to speak about love.” :)

I had the pleasure of attending the “Gauguin Tahiti” Exhibition, at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, in 2004. I was just going over the wonderful book published in connection with this Exhibition, and lo and behold, I noticed that all the paintings, etchings, drawings, and letters from the artist reproduced in this book, when they are signed, are signed either “Paul Gauguin” or “PG.” I would therefore strongly suggest to all the so-called art historian “experts” that they promptly communicate with the master in the nether regions, and ask him to revise his “mistake:” it’s Gaugin, w/o a “U,” dam it, says Roy, the know-it-all. :lol:

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Ok, can we now stop about Gauguin?

Lets leave it to the artist himself, ok?

gauguin.jpg

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Bert, my only point regarding the spelling of Gaugin/Gauguin is that Gaugin* is an accepted alternative spelling used very frequently. That fact cannot be denied. Not only has that alternative spelling been used by scholars of art history who wrote monographs on him, but in other contexts as well. Here are just a few:

*Gaugin...Bert, I see that you have adjusted your forum spell check to not allow Gaugin to be spelled without a hyphen in between the “g” and “i”. Very clever, but it doesn’t change the reality of the facts. Readers are advised to ignore the hyphen.

From Encyclopedia Britannica:

“Paul Gaugin briefly joined van Gogh in the town of Arles, but left after the artist cut off part of his own ear.”

From Hpcnet.org: Study Guide Test One

Slide list: Pay particular attention to the following artists or architects. You will be expected to know the correct spelling of the artist’s name, the title of the work, medium, and style (if known.) Writing for the test as well as questions on the test will be directed towards these artists.
Edouard Manet: pg. 8
Claude Monet pg. 20
Georges Seurat pg. 26
Paul Cezanne pg. 32
Paul Gaugin pg. 41 (44)

From BBC.com, June birthdays: “Paul Gaugin, 1848”

The Washington Times, June 27, 2005, Phillips exhibition melds East and West in fine art by Kevin Chaffee,... "...or the vertical format for landscape Paul Gaugin may have adapted after seeing the Japanese master's work.”

I can understand that French speaking people likely cringe when Gauguin’s name is spelled without the “u” but like it or not, the alternative spelling has worked its way into literature, and that’s all there is to say.

No more from me on this discussion.

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
balibounder1 said:
Do NOT accept Bali for what it is.

price ascends, until, if you are Bule ( Caucasion ), then it is highly likely that the price you are initially offered will be FIVE times the price at which they begin to make profit!!!!!

And just to go back on topic - BB1 may I point out to you that in most Western countries, that it would be quite normal for a business to run at a 80% Gross Profit (or 20% cost of sales). After the gross profit comes wages, and all the other business expenses, leaving you with a net profit on which you then pay tax.

To achieve an 80% GP you basically mark up the item FIVE times the price. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with that sort of markup. Most businesses would not be able to survive with out it.

So endeth the lesson in accounting 101.

Can't comment on the rest of your post as I simply couldn't get through it all.

FG