balinews

Feb 14, 2010
HOW'S this for a lurk? Garrie McCreddin dropped out of school at 16 and now, aged 33, he earns a salary of $190,000 in the hand. He gets six months holiday and spends his downtime surfing at Bali's secluded Echo Beach, where he lives with his wife and three kids - and their four servants.

Until a few years ago Mr McCreddin, who works as a driller on an exploratory oil and gas rig - currently drilling off China - based himself in Perth. But he, like hundreds of Australians who work in mines and on resource projects in WA, NT and in Asia, has decided to live in Bali, rather than Australia.

The itinerate nature of Bali suits the lifestyle of these fly-in, fly-out workers. There are now 16 or 17 flights every day from Perth to Bali, 11 each week from Darwin and two from Port Hedland, making it possible for miners to work in Australia and commute to Bali.

Read more: Lure of the beach beats whack of the tax

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
Probably not intended by the author, but I cringe at the term "servants".

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Once again the Australian media attempts to tell us something we already know. Once again there are faults and flaws in the report. There are not 16-17 flights a day from Perth. There is no way that Echo Beach is secluded. Why can they not report the truth and stop trying to be sensational?
I did this commuting routine years ago. I lived in Indonesia and worked in Australia. It is nothing new. Currently I would know at least 50 people who are doing the same thing. A guy who is a partner in one of my business interest here, lives in Bali and works in Australia. His roster of one week off and one week on means he flies into Bali 26 times a year.
"Goldminer" who contributes on this forum is currently setting him self up to do the same thing. "Freetofly" has a husband who has been doing the same.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
no.idea;70181............. There are not 16-17 flights a day from Perth. .............[/QUOTE said:
I agree. This month I can see about 8 per day - but that's impressive enough.

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
True, nothing new about the FO/FI crew
What really gets me going, is the continued use of calling Canggu/ Batu Mejan as Echo Beach.
There is no such place...why don't we rename all the beaches in Bali after a local business.
When people say they surfed or ate at Echo Beach, l respond with, where is that , never heard of it.