Building house

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Nice job with that post Ken, and right on too! My father in law is “Pak Alang Alang” in the Ubud area, and in spite of all my projects, I will not use it. I do like the bamboo shingles, (Bert what say you?), as their texture and look is just perfect for me.

Chinese tile is certainly the most practical, but it leaves me wanting something else.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Back to the contract

Sorry to go back to the contract....

We have an agreement- notarised of course whereby if we divorce Made gets 20% me 80%. I dont know if this was done before or after the wedding. Does it really make a difference? And even then I dont know if it is worth the paper it is written on. However I hope never to have to use it!

Mimpi

Tracey

Mar 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Mimpi, we don't have one at all. I'd hope to not ever have to worry about using one either.
Never really thought it would be upstanding in Indo anyway!
I married for love & believe my husband did also..
He works very hard here in Aust now & we will leave a house here when we return to Bali, so I guess if the dreaded ever happened, I'd have the house here?!
Well I will just pray it never comes to that...

Pat

Mar 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Roy

What is exactly bamboo shingles?
Could you indicate a link with picture of it?

Thanks to all off you, your advices definitely help us to avoid a lot of trouble.

Sampai jumpa

Pat

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
And here is how it looks as used on the roof of the holy room, part of our new compound still under construction.

My brother in law, who is our builder, brought down this great old master from Singaraja, just for this project. I spent hours watching this ancient and venerable master cut and shape, and then fit these pieces, all culminating in a beautiful flowing design with its own energy.

http://www.sundream.com/~majapahit/imag ... shakes.jpg

NiLuh

Apr 14, 2004
Hi, this is my first time on this forum so I thought I better add something to this question. We are currently building a house in Bali and will be moving to Bali in jan. We have been using the local builders, all organised by my in-laws. I have found this to be a very stressful time, 1 because we are trying to communicate how we want things done by phone and sending pictures, 2, the price they quoted for the finished product has blown out by double and 3 I'm expecting our second child so everything just gets you down. We have decided to finish our house when we get there, as I am afraid we are getting ripped off, even though my family know them. I just can't see where all the money has gone. I wish it was like Australia and when quoted a price for a new house, that's it, no more. But I guess that is Bali, and living there I will have to deal with this all the time with other daily things. Nothing is straight forward. I am hoping I will enjoy my time living there, for my husband is quite homesick for Bali and I am hoping I won't be too homesick for Australia. I'm glad I found this site, it might just help me adjust to my new life.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Welcome NiLuh..

The price they quoted for the finished product has blown out by double and 3 I'm expecting our second child so everything just gets you down. We have decided to finish our house when we get there, as I am afraid we are getting ripped off, even though my family know them. I just can't see where all the money has gone

A too common experience, and yes its Bali. (Even the 2nd child :) )

Building a house even while you are watching it closely can be difficult.... financially... and quality wise...

Nothing is straight forward

Ain't it great :D

I never have been homesick for the Netherlands (yet) only homesick for Bali after my first holiday here... :shock:

NiLuh

Apr 14, 2004
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad this forum is here to talk to people in the same situations and stresses. It really helps to think I'm not the only one.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Amen Bert. As I always say, it's like the ebb and flow of the tide. I also like my old "priesthood jingle" which is, "many are called, but few are chosen."

Not to make light of this, in fact, it's just the opposite.