Building house

Pat

Mar 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
I have searched the forum but didn’t get the information’s needed.
I am sure you guy’s could be helpful.

I am finalizing the buy of a piece of land in Bali (south), my wife being Indonesian we have decided to have our dream home in this part of the world.
I still have to work a few years to get the money to build it.
My concern is how to handle the building:
Having worked 5 years in Jakarta and Medan, I definitely know that it’s much advisable to be supervising the work full time!! On the other hand this is time without pay!!
I have noticed on the web a few sites with companies handling this kind of construction and supervision. They all claim to be very professional etc….

My question is:
- Do you have any experience or heard anything about those companies?

Any piece of advice will be welcome.
I ll be more than glad to share the experience with people who went through the same dream.

Sampai jumpa

Pat

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Ahum,

Well, I have this property site, and I know some builders that could help you. Please note that I, for my site, only do business with foreign contractors residing in Bali, you can leave supervision to them. If you are interested please send me an email or private message. Other expats here may have similar contacts for you.

BTW Do you have a marriage contract?

Those Western builders are very expensive. If you are the kind of person who would hire an architect anyway, then those are your builders.

I am the sort of person that does not hire an architect. I prefer local builders. I will be building a house in Bali this year starting in May. You really do need to be here if you hire local builders.

Ken

Martin

Jan 10, 2004
Steenbergen NL
supervision

I have some family-in-law I know I can trust and recommend.

One brother in law is a contractor and shall provide you with good value for money: His name is Mas Istono tel.: 0361-720608. For an example have a look on http://www.angelfire.com/pro/sanurbungalow

The other one is frequently supervisor for hotel construction and is also great in finding building material at low cost. His name Agus tel.: 0361-425149.

I would certainly recommend to have a talk with them.

Success.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
As with you Pat, my wife is Indonesian, (Balinese) and as luck would have it, her brother-in-law is a local builder/contractor. So, for my projects in the Ubud area, I have always used him. He won’t take on a project in the South however, as it’s just too far, and he has plenty enough work in the Ubud area.

I do know one excellent foreign builder/contractor here in the Ubud area. His name is Sam Schultz and his work is top notch. As another poster mentioned earlier, using foreign contractors can be more expensive than using locals, however, the “integrity” issue by using a foreign builder can be on your side, unless of course, you really know your local builder. Sam’s phone number is 62-361-976620. Good luck with your house project!

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Marriage Contract...

If you are married as a foreigner with an indonesian citizen you are considered a legal unity. Since foreigners cannot own property in Bali (except via a PMA) putting property in your wifes name f.i. without a marriage contract (huwelijkse voorwaarden) where it states that you each own your own stuff can be hazardous when it comes to problems.

Pat

Mar 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks all for the advices

The building will not take place untill next year, so i still have time.
If my work will allow me some freetime , i should be spending a week in Bali during April.Wiil try to meet some of your contacts.

Regarding contract marriage, i am not sure that there is such a thing in Indonesia ( at least for mixed couple).In the case that such a contract is available, foreigner still cannot own land so, if problem arrise ,how do you claim your part?Does the law oblige both parts to sell the property and share the money?

Sampai jumpa

Pat

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Pat said:
Regarding contract marriage, i am not sure that there is such a thing in Indonesia ( at least for mixed couple).In the case that such a contract is available, foreigner still cannot own land so, if problem arrise ,how do you claim your part?Does the law oblige both parts to sell the property and share the money?

There is. I have one and I had people that bought property pre-date their marriage contract to gain legal security, on advice of two notaries.

Since a foreigner cannot own property, all legal stuff, regarding sales and such should be in the contract you have with the indonesian citizen, also when you are married.

If you don't have a marriage contract and your wife / husband owns land you paid for, the sales contract may be declared invalid and you may loose your money and your property.

Tracey

Mar 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
When & where

& who can organise these Marriage Contracts..?
Does it actually stand up if something was to happen?
What happens if I am already married to a Balinese & plan to return to Bali in a few years, can we have a contract written prior to buying starting a business etc... I take it this would be a different cxontract, say for business?? (not certain, asking the question!)
Or does a contract need to be done before the wedding...?

Pat

Mar 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Bert

I dont quite follow what you are saying.
The land definitely belong to the indonesian partner, so only this partner can sale the land and therefore the sale cannot be declare invalid!!
The non indonesian will not be able to sale as the title does not bare his name.
What does this contract say?
I am not a lawyer but i think that the marriage contract could only say that in case of sale ,the benefit has to be shared by both parties and with regards of which party put the funds during the buy.

Anyway , if the contract should have been signed before the marriage, i am allready 13 years late.In any case , for having enduring me for this time she surely deserve to keep our balinese dream :lol:

Sampai Jumpa

Pat

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
I say:

If f.i. you are a man married to an indonesian woman and you put any contract regarding property on her name and you don't have a marriage contract, you are walking on thin ice...

Thats all.

Pat

Mar 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Bert

Sorry if i am bothering you with stupids questions, but i seem to miss your point!
Do you have any other choice than to put a indonesian name on an Hak milik certificate?
Is having a contract allow you to put a foreigner name on this kind of certificate?
What exactly this certificate permit you to do regarding ownership of land?

I agree with the thin ice stuff, but thats life the way i see it :D

Terimah Kasih again for your patience

Sampai jumpa

Pat

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
I just say that if I put property on my wifes name its an illegal contract, if they push for it. Marriage is a legal unity and I am a foreigener thus...(and I would not have a marriage contract).My guess is that if the man is Indonesian there are less hazards...

What exactly this certificate permit you to do regarding ownership of land?

It would allow you to put property on name of the one you are married with. (If Indonesian)

Is having a contract allow you to put a foreigner name on this kind of certificate?

No.

Pat

Mar 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Bert

Got your point. I must be slow!!

Thanks for all

If i manage to go to Bali in April, i ll be glad to meet you in person if you dont mind.

Have a nice WE

Pat

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Bert is absolutely correct with his points. Without a marriage contract between an Indonesian and a foreigner, all ownership put into the name of the Indonesian partner of that marriage can be called into question. Bert’s advice is solid and dead on accurate.

Pat

Mar 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Back to the building subject.

Could someone give me some details on alang alang roof.
I like very much the look off it but is it practical?
How long does it last?
Does it need complete removal or just renovation?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Pat

Pat,

Alang alang roofs have pros and cons.

PROS:

They are cooler and do not trap heat.

They muffle sound.

They smell great when new.

They are cheaper than tile.

They are bio-degradable and use renewable resources.

CONS:

They burn explosively.

As they age, they shed and thus are messy.

Rats like to live in them.

I used to like alang alang very much, until I saw a house with that style of roof burn. It was like a blast furnace, the entire house disappeared in just ten minutes. It burned so quickly the fire could not be stopped.

Alang alang if grown organically lasts 15 years.
If grown with chemical fertilizers, it lasts just 8 years.

It must be completely replaced.

Ken