British expat allegedly murdered by Indonesian girlfriend

balinews

Feb 14, 2010
A BRIT has allegedly been murdered by his Indonesian girlfriend in Bali — while he was on a video call with his family in the UK.

Matt Harper, 48, is suspected to have been stabbed by Emmy Pakpahan in the South East Asian tourist hotspot before dying from his injuries.

It is understood the father of two had been on a video call with his step-daughter and his former wife back home.

Matt, who worked for luxury hotel firm Karma, had been in a relationship with Pakpahan since last July, according to pals.

Pakpahan, who is in her 40s and is Indonesian-born but has US citizenship from a previous marriage, told police that Matt killed himself.

She showed investigators a video of him dying on the floor of his Bali home moments after her suspected attack on Thursday

Pakpahan filmed the footage herself from outside the property, claiming Matt had locked the doors and intentionally harmed himself.

She sobs in the clip: “I don’t know what’s happened. I don’t know, I don’t know.”

Pals say they were boyfriend and girlfriend but she seemed to suggest they were wed with a “Mr and Mrs Harper” Facebook pic in October.

And in a bizarre video on social media, she films herself thanking friends and family for their “support” after news of his death broke.

She says to the camera: “Naturally I am sad. And if you guys don’t hear from me, it’s not because I don’t want to answer, I need time to process things.

"Please don’t believe anything until a statement comes out from the police department.”

However, Bali police have arrested her on suspicion of murder.

Matt’s ex-girlfriend in Bali, Allin Efashion, told The Sun: “I was with him before he got with Emmy. He was a perfect gentleman, a caring and lovely man. He was the love of my life. I can’t believe he’s gone.

“He texted me just a few days before he died, saying he hated Emmy because she ruined his life — and he was sorry for leaving me.

“He was the best father to his two girls and step-daughter and was loved by many friends in the UK and Bali. May he rest in peace.”

Other friends revealed they feared for Matt’s safety in the weeks leading up to his death.

They described Pakpahan as a “psycho” girlfriend who has been accused on Bali Facebook groups of being a serial scammer who has conned foreigners out of tens of thousands of pounds.

Matt is understood to have arrived in Bali from Gloucester in February 2020. He got a job with the hotel group and often shared videos and pics on social media of his “dream” life on the Indonesian island.

A keen chef, he regularly cooked treats for friends on Bali and even held a “Come Dine With Me” event at a restaurant there last year.

John M

Sep 29, 2020
Sanur, Bali
A BRIT has allegedly been murdered by his Indonesian girlfriend in Bali — while he was on a video call with his family in the UK.
Then there was the case of the Swiss national a couple of weeks ago. Found dead in a pool of 'reddish-black coloured vomit' (poison maybe?) with a will leaving his entire estate to his visa sponsor. It doesn't say if the will was written in Swedish.
Being a Bule is getting to be a dangerous job these days :eek:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If you've seen the picture of the "happy couple" together in the Daily Mail I'm sure someone has been at her picture with Photoshop and added a couple of degrees of crazy to it - you can see the difference in his and hers. That started my doubts out and I wanted to see what else came up before having an opinion that I wanted to share.

Well sure enough this then comes along: https://www-mirror-co-uk.cdn.amppro...s/uk-news/brit-man-killed-bali-video-25956827

Now I'm sure this hasn't run out of steam yet but I'm gonna watch it with interest.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 22

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
The police at least in some articles say that it was a suicide. The woman's story sounds very strange.

Pakpahan claims he had a mental episode and deliberately harmed himself - claiming he was in a “scared” state after waking at 3.30am on Thursday.

She told cops that she fled their shared villa after he suddenly woke in the night so she could make a phone call.

When she returned minutes later, the doors were locked and Matt was writhing around on the floor dying, she claims.

She then filmed tragic Matt’s final moments through a window, sobbing on film: “Oh my god, oh my god. I don’t know what to do, I don’t know what to do.”

John M

Sep 29, 2020
Sanur, Bali
Nothing in this story makes sense either from the Indonesian side or from the British side where they don't seem to have contacted his family over there to get their side of the "he was on a video call to them" story despite the British tabloid press corps not being known for their sensitivity.
As a matter of interest the lady in question didn't look as glamorous at the hospital as she did in the news story pictures or when she was starring in YouTube videos of her getting tattoos in May and June of 2020.

Attachments

• safe_image.php.jpeg
    safe_image.php.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 20

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Nothing in this story makes sense either from the Indonesian side or from the British side where they don't seem to have contacted his family over there to get their side of the "he was on a video call to them" story despite the British tabloid press corps not being known for their sensitivity.
As a matter of interest the lady in question didn't look as glamorous at the hospital as she did in the news story pictures or when she was starring in YouTube videos of her getting tattoos in May and June of 2020.
Clearly she can't possibly be guilty of stabbing the guy - she never puts her phone(s) down.

According to the story she was busy filming the guy dying on her phone instead of trying to help.

She'd need a free hand to stab him.

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
The wedding photo says a lot about the relationship. Notice that her hand is firmly gripping his and it’s over the top of his indicating that she had ‘captured her man’ ( possibly any bloody man!) and she wasn’t letting him get away. He has a somewhat bemused look on his face possibly indicating he’s not 100% sure he’s doing the right thing, which later proves to be correct, and of course he has a cigarette in his hand to calm his nerves, another indication he’s a tad unsure.
The dress is designed (?} in such a way that if the man were to falter and fail to take the leap at the last jump into matrimonial bliss she could whip the dress off and use her ‘Persuader’ to get him over the line.
I also think I’d also like a full physical exam ot the bride to confirm that ‘she’ is in fact is a she. There are definitely indications about the face that indicate that she’ at some point in her life could have been a ‘he’.
Det.Inspecter Foamcrest. (Ret.)

John M

Sep 29, 2020
Sanur, Bali
I also think I’d also like a full physical exam ot the bride to confirm that ‘she’ is in fact is a she. There are definitely indications about the face that indicate that she’ at some point in her life could have been a ‘he’.
Det.Inspecter Foamcrest. (Ret.)
I thought the same thing about the masculine jawline etc. but it looks like some news sources are starting to dig deeper now (this one says she had a kid too)

And has her friends lined up backing a quite different story now: https://www.cnnindonesia.com/nasion...sempat-terkunci-pemilik-rumah-buka-dari-dalam

Last edited:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
It seems like the police have concluded their investigation. This is from their FB page. https://www.facebook.com/PolrestaDenpasar/ (Google translation below).

Ini Keterangan Kapolresta Denpasar Terkait Penemuaan WNA Inggris Meninggal Dunia
Denpasar, Terkait Dengan penemuan Pria warga negara asing (WNA) asal Inggris bernama Harper Matthew (47) yang meninggal dunia dengan sejumlah luka akibat benda tajam di beberapa bagian tubuhnya pada Kamis (13/1/22) pukul 06.45 WITA di Perum Samatha Citra Kuta Blok A/8 Lingk. Taman Giri Mumbul Kuta Selatan bukan korban pembunuhan.
Hal tersebut disampaikan Kapolresta Denpasar Kombes Jansen Avitus Panjaitan., S.IK.,MH. kepada media rabu (19/1) didampingi Kasat Reskrim Kompol Mikael Hutabarat, SH.,S.I.K.,M.H.
"Dari fakta-fakta dan hasil analisa serta pemeriksaan forensik, bisa disimpulkan luka-luka tersebut dilakukan oleh korban sendiri atau korban bunuh diri," kata Kapolresta Denpasar.
Dijelaskan Kapolresta Denpasar bahwa dari hasil forensik ditemukan luka terbuka pada bagian leher sepanjang 7 centimeter, luka terbuka di bagian uluhati 3 centimeter, luka terbuka di perut kiri bawah dan kanan bawah 3 centimeter dengan kedalaman 2 centimeter.
"Terdapat luka di leher kiri bekas sayatan, luka tusuk dada tembus ulu hati, luka tusuk bagian perut bawah kanan dan kiri. Dilihat dari pola dan gambaran luka, semuanya terjangkau oleh tangan korban," jelas Kombes Jansen.
Terkait dengan luka memar dikarenakan korban sebelumnya mengalami kecelakaan lalu lintas di Suwung Kauh,Senin (10/1/2022) menabrak warung di pinggir jalan.
Keterangan Saksi Emmy (42) menerangkan bahwa sebelumnya korban berbicara sendiri dan terlihat panik. Saksi mencoba menenangkan namun korban masih tetap berhalusinasi, saksi sempat meninggalkan korban untuk menelpon anak korban tetapi saat akan melihat korban lagi ternyata pintu sudah terkunci, sehingga saksi meminta bantuan tetangga dan akhirnya korban sudah ditemukan dalam keadaan tergeletak dengan kondisi penuh luka, serta terdapat pisau di lantai tidak jauh dari korban.
"Jadi dugaan awal korban melakukan perbuatannya dikarenakan depresi, " Kata Kapolresta Denpasar

Google translation:

This is the Denpasar Police Chief's statement regarding the discovery of a British foreigner who died.

Denpasar, Related to the discovery of a male foreign national (WNA) from England named Harper Matthew (47) who died with a number of wounds from sharp objects in several parts of his body on Thursday (13/1/22) at 06.45 WITA at Perum Samatha Citra Kuta Block A/8 Link. Taman Giri Mumbul, South Kuta, was not a murder victim.

This was conveyed by the Denpasar Police Chief, Kombes Jansen Avitus Panjaitan., S.IK.,MH. to the media on Wednesday (19/1) accompanied by Head of Criminal Investigation Unit, Commissioner Mikael Hutabarat, SH., S.I.K., M.H.

"From the facts and the results of the analysis and forensic examination, it can be concluded that the injuries were carried out by the victim himself or the victim committed suicide," said Denpasar Police Chief.

The Denpasar Police Chief explained that from the forensic results, an open wound on the neck was 7 centimeters long, an open wound in the solar plexus 3 centimeters, open wounds on the lower left and lower right abdomen 3 centimeters with a depth of 2 centimeters.

"There are wounds on the left neck from an incision, a chest stab wound through the solar plexus, a stab wound to the right and left lower abdomen. Judging from the pattern and description of the wound, all of them were reached by the victim's hand," said Kombes Jansen.

Associated with bruises because the victim previously had a traffic accident in Suwung Kauh, Monday (10/1/2022) hit a shop on the side of the road.
Witness Emmy (42) explained that previously the victim spoke to herself and looked panicked. The witness tried to calm down but the victim was still hallucinating, the witness had left the victim to call the victim's child but when he was about to see the victim again the door was locked, so the witness asked for help from neighbors and finally the victim was found lying in a condition full of wounds, and there was a knife in his hand. floor not far from the victim.
"So the initial suspicion is that the victim committed his actions because of depression," said Denpasar Police Chief

John M

Sep 29, 2020
Sanur, Bali
the door was locked, so the witness asked for help from neighbors and finally the victim was found lying in a condition full of wounds, and there was a knife in his hand. floor not far from the victim.
The 'neighbour' who supposedly unlocked the door, found the body and backed up all of her version of events, was named in the CNN Indonesia article as 'a colleague named Ica' and is probably the same Indonesian woman, also named as 'Ica', listed as being Emmy's life-long best friend and bridesmaid "who goes everywhere in the world with her" on the www.theknot.com website where her wedding to Jeff Daprizio in Las Vegas in 2016 was posted.
The page has been taken down since yesterday — possibly by Emmy or perhaps by Mr Daprizio before he went out to buy lottery tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think we can all take a good guess as to what happened here. Just sad for the family and it is unlikely they will see any justice. Do you remember the case of Noor Ellis who had her husband killed? She got a 12 year sentence in 2015 but I heard that she has already been released.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I don't want to sound like the women here are all the most money grubbing, rapacious, velociraptors that ever saw its prey! No way many of these lovely brown skinned, well proportioned, succulent little beauties have the most juicy...

Sorry where was I?

They're no worse than any other women anywhere and a large part of the responsibility for all the ills you hear about on the forums and newspapers and this one in particular are actually down to the guy in my opinion.

Those of us that have been here a while have all seen the "blue-eyed" innocent (guy) get off the plane for his first time in Bali, get a massage and fall madly in love with the masseuse AND FECKING MARRY HER. (you know who I mean!).

You can see a mile off this girl is a lot crazy and a little dependable so any sensible guy will thank her, take the antibiotics and move on.

Reactions: hafri and Adam

Zimbo

Jun 22, 2016
This is third instance I've heard of this happening in Bali!
The first was a guy in Sanur who turned the old Bali Cricket Club into apartments and his wife hire some locals to 'off' him and dump his corpes in a padi field.
The second was a friend of mine living in Ubud, whose wife stabbed him in the back - fortunately he survived but had to pay his wife 40 million for 'causing her distress' !
And now this! It boggles the mind that a man can stab himself multiple times, including the neck! I've been stabbed once and it hurts! Probably enough to stop doing it immediately if you are doing it by yourself.
I wonder if any funds changed hands?

From now on, I'm sleeping in body armour !!!

Reactions: tel522

John M

Sep 29, 2020
Sanur, Bali
It seems that the poor girl is so devastated at the man she described in her Instagram post as being "Everything I've been praying for from a man" committing 'suicide' that she's joined a dating site in order to forget. Hot date anyone?

Bumble.png

• Haha
Reactions: Balifrog and RossM

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
It seems that the poor girl is so devastated at the man she described in her Instagram post as being "Everything I've been praying for from a man" committing 'suicide' that she's joined a dating site in order to forget. Hot date anyone?

View attachment 3589

A risky proposition!! Perhaps an opening for a thrill seeker, or a man into Russian roulette??