Best Pay TV Service?

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Unless you're in a very heavily built-up area, this "problem" might simply be that your dish is slightly out-of-alignment. It's easy to slightly turn the responder in small increments until you get a better signal strength

Thanks, dorizdazed. But the technicians would have seen this out of alignment factor and correct it. It's not that this problem exist from the very first day of installment. It came as the weather in my area (it's in the kampung surrounding) worsened due to strong wind, rain, etc. Not that the reception goes blank totally but that usual layers of white, grey, metal box-shaped graphics shown all over the screen with metalic screeching sounds that come with it. This only happens on certain channels like Hallmark (don't remember the other) but not starworld nor fox. As the weather improves, thought this would disappear but it didn't and it worsened with time. So, I guess I'd just have to switch to Telkomvision later.

My monthly fee is Rp. 197.000 for Indovision.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Milan

You are losing signal strength as the cause. It could be out of alignment a small amount. I would have it checked first buy weather does affect the system.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Jimbo said:
You are losing signal strength as the cause. It could be out of alignment a small amount. I would have it checked first buy weather does affect the system.

If a number of channels are going bad in a similar way, then it's probably your dish that is picking up a weak signal, and re-aiming it may fix it.

But sometimes the problem is with the signal Indovision picks up from another satellite before sending it on to you. For example, BBC and Australia Network come off the same satellite that is to the east. Sometimes in the morning a dish receiving these channels will also be pointing near the sun, and then reception can be poorer. Also very heavy rain can weaken a signal.

Switching to TelkomVision may not be a fix because for subscribers that cannot get a cable connection (i.e. most of them) its just coming off another satellite and could suffer similar problems.

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Jimbo, ronb, thanks for your advice here. I'll take them into account even though the dish was already there, installed by the previous tenant. I just re-activated the existing service by Indovision. If it's possible to add TelkomVision as well, then I'd keep Indovision as long as it could be readjusted to receive correctly on all of the channels subscribed.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Hi..
just a quick note that one can check their dish-aligment themselfs first, before calling anybody to come and fix the reception.
For Indovision..on the remote press MENU, submenu appears...highlight the most left icon, and press ok on "select your sattelite", press ok again on "indovision1", then a screen appears with signal strength and signal quality. If your dish needs alignment, keep it on this screen and have someone turn the disc(while you are checking the screen), or elevate/lower the disc till both quality and strength are OK. You don't want the strength to be too high and neither the quality, since this can cause bad reception. Goodluck....
Friendly greetings, Gilbert.

DorisDazed

Apr 3, 2009
TelkomSpeedy and TelkomVision have a new offer available.

If you have an unlimited Speedy account, you can now get all of TelkomVision's programmes, equipment, set-up for free!

Check it out but don't get trampled in the stampede.
Also, you have to be patient.

:D

DorisDazed

Apr 3, 2009
TelkomSPEEDY/TelkomVISION Update

I was suspicious right from the start. It all sounded too good to be true.

The "TelkomVision" guys arrived today with the equipment and set it up. That part is free. However, they were wearing clothes advertising YesTV, which I gather is part of TelkomVision.

So what's actually "free"? The dish, decoder, set-up and the following channels.

FILM: Star Movies, MGM
OLAH RAGA (Sports): ESPN, Star Sports, TelkomVision 1 & 2
ANAK ANAK (Children): Playhouse Disney, Disney Channel, Cartoon Network
HIBURAN ("Entertainment"): Star World, AXN, National Geographic Adventure, Formosa TV, Australian Network
PENDIDIKAN ("Education"): National Geographic
TV NASIONAL: RCTI, SCTV, ANTV, TPI, Trans TV, Trans 7, Indosiar, Spacetoon, Metro TV, TV One

All in all, that's not too bad.

The "missing channels", you have to pay for. The Perak (Silver) package is Rp218,900 and the Emas (Gold) comes in at Rp302,500. No radio channels.

You can't use TelkomVision card vouchers because you don't own the dish. That's loaned to you as long as you have a TelkomSpeedy unlimited account.

I think it's OK, for what it is. Not sure yet about reliability or when it rains. At least it's working here now (and no pending law-suit because one of the the "technicians" fell off a plastic chair and nearly broke his neck).

Who was it that said:
"The big print giveth, and the small print taketh away"?

From memory, Tom Waits.

:roll:

DorisDazed

Apr 3, 2009
Further up-date:

Our "free" TelkomVision has been working fine.

In addition to the channels I listed above, we're also getting HBO and HBO Signature.