Best Pay TV Service?

macantidur

Dec 4, 2008
What's the best pay tv service available now (value, quality, reliability)?

I live in Pererenan, past Canggu, so I don't think we're on the fiber optic line that brings cable TV. Guess it has to be satellite.

What's on offer that's good? We don't watch sports or kids shows. Would like news news news, "educational" channels, cultural channels, films, and French and Italian tv.

Indovision offered me a ridiculously expensive package, with tons of stuff we don't want, and not much of what we do want. And it was about 300,000 a month.

Surely there's a better option?

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I am on Indovision on the family package. Though there are a lot of childrens channels (which we want as we have a 3 year old) the other channels include

Vision Sports
Vison Drama
Vision Sports Extra
Celestial Movies
Dicovery
National Geographic
ANimal Planet
Dicovery Travel & Living
AFC
AXN ( shows House, all the CSI shows, Leverage, Beast )
Star World ( shows Freinds, Eli Stone, Boston Legal, 30 Rock,)
E Entertainment
Australia network
Fashion TV
Al JAzeera
CNBC Asia
BBC World
CNN
MNC (Music)
MTV
V (music)
KBS World
TBN

I pay Rp149,000 per month.

Once we got over some initial set up problems it has been perfect service and reliablity.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
yep, same here. Like Jimbo.. got the full package from Indovision.
Have seen some add in a paper about some ''free- satelite TV" (yeah right :lol: ), don;t know if that's Astro that ronb mentioned? but it said they had some other european language channels.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
In Lombok previously we had a deal where we paid a one off fee for a satellite dish. One of the massive ones and we received about 200 channels. No monthly fee. It included ABC Asia Pacific and BBC World but other than that the rest of the channels were mostly Indonesian, Chinese, Indian and arabic..... when the receiver blew out in a power surge we never bothered getting it repaired.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
gilbert de jong said:
Have seen some add in a paper about some ''free- satelite TV" (yeah right :lol: ), don;t know if that's Astro that ronb mentioned? but it said they had some other european language channels.

Satellite TV is where you have a big dish and pick up free transmissions. Many locals have a fixed dish that picks up the Indo channels. But if you can move the dish you can point at different satellites and pick up all sorts. Many Chinese channels, Japanese, Middle East, Europe, South African, etc. We have it and use it mainly for the Indo channels so someone can watch these channels at the same time that Indovision is on something else.

Astro is Malaysian pay TV operator that offered service in Indonesia for a while but ceased last October. I got the impression that they were hounded out by bureaucracy.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
i have telkomvision, its 220,000 a month.

i get all the news channells i want - cnn, bbc, abc, fox, news asia (singapore based), and a few other nationalities including indo. Also have movie channells,sports, nat geo, discovery, travel and living...all in all id say pretty similar to indovision which ive had before, but without the hassles.

also have the arrivals/departures screens from bali international and domestic airports including the funky gamelan music you always hear when arriving depating!its pretty handy.

When you say fibre optic, are you referring to co-ax?

Telkomvision comes in on a co-ax cable, so never have probs with poor reception or dish getting blown around, trees growing in front of it, neighbours building etc. Also, it doesnt use a decoder, so never have to reset it or waste time on the indovision hotline which is $#@ useless.

also, by using a amplified splitter, i have 2 tvs in my villa, each with their own channell changer which work independently of each other.

i'll never go back to indovision.

heerhugo

Jan 5, 2009
Sanur
hinakos said:

i get all the news channells i want - cnn, bbc, abc, fox, news asia (singapore based), and a few other nationalities including indo. Also have movie channells,sports, nat geo, discovery, travel and living...all in all id say pretty similar to indovision which ive had before, but without the hassles.

also have the arrivals/departures screens from bali international and domestic airports including the funky gamelan music you always hear when arriving depating!its pretty handy.

When you say fibre optic, are you referring to co-ax?

Telkomvision comes in on a co-ax cable, so never have probs with poor reception or dish getting blown around, trees growing in front of it, neighbours building etc. Also, it doesnt use a decoder, so never have to reset it or waste time on the indovision hotline which is $#@ useless.

also, by using a amplified splitter, i have 2 tvs in my villa, each with their own channell changer which work independently of each other.

i'll never go back to indovision.

Hi,

Iam living in the Netherlands, on the telkomvision site they also say that "BVN" is included in the package. It's is a dutch/belgium channel. Did you saw it on your channellist?

thanks,

Hugo

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Heerhugo writes:

I'll definitely switch to Telkomvision once I'm back in Indonesia, thanks to your input here. I have Indovision too and am not satisfied as some of the channels lose audio and reception every so often (Hallmark etc.).

heerhugo

Jan 5, 2009
Sanur
Thanks for the answers, i was looking for a long time to solve the problem to have hassle free
televison at Bali. Iám going to live in Sanur. I assume that it is no problem to get a telkom connection over there?

thanks again,

hugo

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I dont have any problems with Indovision after the initial set up. That was a pain but as the first month is free... I cant really complain. I dont have any loss of picture or sound. Perfect reception whenever I tune in!

aquaman

Apr 6, 2009
My gf has had quite a few problems with Indovision and everytime I've stayed there some of the channels temporarily lose reception which seemingly happens more than once every day. She had no reception for nearly a week about 2 months ago. Can't remember what the problem was sometimes her explanation gets a little lost in translation :lol: Maybe it's a localised problem in her area or as she puts it "just crappy indo tv". But doesn't matter what tv service you've got if the power goes out you won't be watching anything and that's her biggest problem, power outs and water pump failures :) I think she pays a little over $200K per month and gets most things including movies, docos etc but no sport.

dug

May 9, 2006
los angeles
Is there a 'pay as you go' service,as in purchase pulsa or charge up your card type of television service? This would be advantages to the part time expat.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Not that I have heard about. Don't forget that (like with Internet) there is the installation cost which either they will charge you at the time, or expect you remain connected for a certain period so that they get it back that way. The Indovision FAQ says:

4. Q: Do the potential customers of Indovision have to buy the hardware as a requirement to be an Indovision's subscriber ?
A: No. They do not have to buy Indovision's hardware since Indovision will lend the hardware to the new subscribers with certain terms and conditions applied.

5. Q: If a new subscriber of Indovision apply for the hardware lending system, is there any minimum time period of commitment to become the Indovision subscriber ?
A: Yes, they are committed to be Indovision subscriber at least 12-month period. If the subscribers terminate their subscriptions before the minimum 12-month period of commitment end, they will have to pay the penalty fee Rp. 400.000

DorisDazed

Apr 3, 2009
I have Indovision too and am not satisfied as some of the channels lose audio and reception every so often (Hallmark etc.).
Unless you're in a very heavily built-up area, this "problem" might simply be that your dish is slightly out-of-alignment. It's easy to slightly turn the responder in small increments until you get a better signal strength.

:D

DorisDazed

Apr 3, 2009
Is there a 'pay as you go' service,as in purchase pulsa or charge up your card type of television service?
There is at least one that I know of, Telkomvision. You have a choice of as little or as many channels you want each month. I think they start at Rp 50,000. I'm not sure what equipment or actual connection you need.

:)