Bert, New Idea, and, What Do Others Think?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
And what are you laughing about Bolli? You couldn't even spell it correctly! :p

A made up Aussie "word" and you blew it mate! :p

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
By the way, following a current news story of the two miners trapped in a gold mine in Taz, I heard the term "digger" used frequently.

I understand that this a term of "endearment" or at least a kind way of referring to one or another, but today I had a lunch discussion with two mates from OZ who were adamant that this term comes from WWI, or WWII, as in digging trenches, as opposed to mining activities.

Any more comments on this Aussie term, "digger?"

Davo

Jan 4, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
You have been informed correctly Roy.

It is a term that originates from WW1.

While it has been a long time since then, the word"Digger" holds a lot of respect in Australia.

To be called digger, eg. How ya goin digger. Is and means the greatest of respect and friendship you can extend to someone.
Not something you would say to a stranger.

now hows that for a synopsis.
Any Ozzy's care to add?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Bloody hell! For years I've been thinking that my OZ mates were calling me "digger" because of my work and association with the department of archeology!

Australia, by far the most venomous land on this planet, yet blessed with among the best of folks one could ever hope to meet.

Anyone watch CNN today? Nine out of ten New Yorkers (city), couldn’t find Australia on a world map. I’m very happy to not be among those nine. The funny thing is though, that 5 out of ten New York City folks couldn’t locate New York State on a US map either.

Now that is pretty sick, eh? :shock:

G

Gurkha

Recipe: South African Pickled Fish

A great dish to serve as a snack for unexpected guests, or as an appetizer. Very easy to make and outrageously good. Some high quality sealing bell jars are needed, and they can be found at both Makro and Ace Hardware.

Ingredients:

One kilo of fresh fish. Snapper, Tenggiri, (Spanish Mackerel) or Tuna will all do very well, and all are easily found in Bali.

One cup of water

One cup of malt vinegar. White wine or balsamic vinegar will NOT due.

One heaping tablespoon of Madras Curry powder

One large onion, cut into rings

Baking flour, not rice flour.

Directions:

Cut the fish in cubes of about one and one half inches, or about four cm square. Dredge the cubes in the flour and fry in oil (vegetable or olive) until browned. Do not over-fry.

Put in jars until about 2/3 full.

In a saucepan, bring the one cup of water and vinegar to a boil.

Once at a boil, add the onions, cut as rings, and the curry powder. Stir regularly and once the onions are cooked, tap off each jar with the onions and juice until just about filled to the brim.

Cap and refrigerate. Each jar will last for at least 12 months.

That recipe looks familiar! Why don't you post my recipe for Biltong as well!