Bert, New Idea, and, What Do Others Think?

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
Oom Roy,
for dinner in my house today ... bali dishes, bali music ..., indonesisn atmosphere... but i looking around ... no blue sky, no stars ... it´s rainy and rainy ... :( The weather this year is impossible- very depressive
-Dyah

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Dyah, that sounds great! Don't forget to share some of your recipes! Just so you feel better, this past rainy season was no picnic either here in Bali, or Java. It seems though that Autumn is finally upon us and our dry season hopefully will be fantastic!

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Poochie

I have eaten Monkey brain(do not ask how) and Lamb brain in padang restaurants, but not cow.

I love Padang food. Like Mats its about trying not to eat all the dishes is my problem. I also love the classic Nasi Campur and Gado Gado, Sop Madura etc etc. In fact everything which is why at 5.7 I weigh......far too much :)

Irma

When I get back in July you must come and have a meal. Maria's Beef Rendang with Pareha is to to die for. Why do you not cook Indonesian food there. All spices are available. Have you forgotten how?

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Bert, New Idea, and, What Do Others Think?

Jimbo said:
I have eaten Monkey brain (do not ask how)....
Me too Jimbo... in China during the early '80s. I agree, if they were prepared in the same manner, I don't think anyone wants to hear the details.

At the time, I was part of an official delegation, so didn't have much choice but to sit through the entire proceedings. :shock:

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK

Jimbo said:
I love Padang food. Like Mats its about trying not to eat all the dishes is my problem. I also love the classic Nasi Campur and Gado Gado, Sop Madura etc etc. In fact everything which is why at 5.7 I weigh......far too much :)

Irma

When I get back in July you must come and have a meal. Maria's Beef Rendang with Pareha is to to die for. Why do you not cook Indonesian food there. All spices are available. Have you forgotten how?

Oh my, my...... Oom Jimbo! Those meals you mentioned, I love them ALL!!

As for me & cooking, well...... we don't quite go together properly! :oops: As a young lady growing up in Jakarta, I had everything taken care of for me I'm afraid and all I had to do was study!! As a result, moving thousands of miles away from home (to England) I knew NOTHING about real life, really, incl cooking. :(

My husband does his best to cook Indo food here, but not quite the same..... I can cook simple stir-frys & currys, but nothing too fancy!

I look forward to tasting Maria's beef rendang with pareha (what's pareha then?) :oops:

Been meaning to call her actually, but kept forgetting...... too much going on in my head sometimes! Dear oh dear...... but will call her soon though.

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK
Hi All

Thank you for the recommendations for the sushi restaurants in Bali. I have taken notes and can’t wait to be there. I love sushi and wasabi.

Hi Kak Irma

Irma said:
As for me & cooking, well...... we don't quite go together properly! As a young lady growing up in Jakarta, I had everything taken care of for me I'm afraid and all I had to do was study!!

Me too :oops: . My grandmother was an excellent cook but she forbid her daughters to go to kitchen so they could concentrate on their studies and music lessons: not sure why. As a result my mom can’t cook. I was not required to be in the kitchen while I was growing up in Denpasar. Sometimes I wanted to help but our beloved Mbok would not let me, as I just made things slow: honest :oops: . However, she let me help her with the groceries during school holidays to pasar Sanglah or Badung. I used to look forward to going to the market waking up in the dawn and getting some jaje afterwards :p .

I can cook a bit now but I feel slightly incomplete not being able to cook my own dishes properly. When I get to Bali, I will definitely get cooking and trying different recipes from the archipelago. If I ever have a daughter I want her to be able to cook.

Irma said:
As a result, moving thousands of miles away from home (to England) I knew NOTHING about real life, really, incl cooking.

Me too again :oops: :oops: . I still know nothing about real household life. Cooking, cleaning and ironing still are not natural to me. Thank goodness my husband is quite independent and not fussy. Maybe I can become a proper wife when I get to Bali, or we can get some helpers :lol:

Bapak Jimbo, What is Pareha :?: I do not know it either :oops: .

Ciao

Ni Luh

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
What a pair of primping prissy protected girls you are. Do not know how to cook indeed :) I am an excellent cook also.

Pareah (spelling) is sometimes known as bitter gourd or cucumber. Looks like a cucumber but is rather knobbly. Cooked with lots of chillies it could almost make me a vegetarian.

Mats

Nice new photo. Looks like we had the same experience with monkey.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Hi Jimbo,
Thanks for the compliment.

Re bitter gourd - according to my kamus, bitter gourd translates to "labu pahit". Maybe the name you're using is specific to your wife's local dialect?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Nothing Balinese or Indonesian for me tonight. Nope, just a delightful sandwich of smoked Virginia ham and provolone cheese flavored with Dijon balsamic mustard served between two slices of just baked sunflower seed bread...accompanied by the best New York dill pickles and stuffed green olives. I will admit to including some Pringle potato chips too. The “wash down” is an almost frozen Storm red....sorry Colin!

Hey Phil! Are you reading this? Eight years ago, you and I would have killed each other over a dish like this....but here it is, in the “improved” Bali. :p

dahlia

Oct 4, 2005
Seattle, Washington
Niluh and Irma

(what's pareha then?)

I guess it is paria or pare in bahasa Jawa. Am I right Pak Jimbo? Pare is better when cooked with a lot of chilie :cry: . The spicer the better, isn't Pak Jimbo?
In asian market here, they call it bitter melon. I heard pare is good for lowering cholesterol.

Roy,
My granny used vinegar from tuak to make fish pickle. But she used anchovies (ikan teri besar) instead of tuna, makarel or snapper.

ingrediats :
fresh ikan teri, sliced shallot, chilie (cabe rawit), season with salt and sugar. Mix together and let the fish soak in the seasoned vinegar for 1 or 2 days. The longer the better. It is spicy, sour, salty, and sweet. Enjoy!

--------------

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK

pooochie said:
Maybe I can become a proper wife when I get to Bali, or we can get some helpers :lol:

Agreed Ni Luh!! Agreed!! Getting the helpers, that is...... :lol: :lol:

jimbo said:
What a pair of primping prissy protected girls you are

:oops: :oops: :oops:
We know, we know..... Pak Jimbo! Blame it on our Mothers & Grandmothers!! He, he.... bless their cotton socks! :p

Now I do the opposite to my own kids. My eldest son, since he was 10 started doing a couple of daily chores around the house. Nowadays if the cleaners don't show up, I make him do more jobs!! Well, I'm just getting into practice for when I move to Bali, where all chores will be done by helpers again!! YEEEEESSSS!!!

Shocking, I know!! :shock:

I think I know what pareha is now, have seen them in Chinese/Asian shops here. Not sure if I'll like them as I never liked anything bitter like pare! Yuck!! But will try anything once! :mrgreen:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Dahlia

Absolutely right about the spelling and the cooking with Chillies. Enak sekali 'dik

Irma

If you have servants or even a daily cleaner you must be rich or very lazy....................................I suspect the latter :) Can I rent out my wife as a cook for you. She is always looking for a way to get her on income. 20 pounds per hour is about right but I am here agent and you pay me direct :)

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
Hi all,
I learn to cook after i have married... and from my husband. He cook very good, i learn from him: how can i enjoying with cooking... I think: cooking as obligatory is very hard... We cooking normaly together, or one of us take a part as Chef (the other can help or just stay in the kitchen: we hate cooking alone)... depend what we cook... and we don´t cooking every day...

Now i think, i can cooking, as well as my husband... the first time i told my family and friends, that i can cooking .. they did´t believe me.
In Indonesia i had never learn to cook - But i have a good hobby: i decorate my food... i eat with my eyes too, and this part is very important for me.
My mom can´t cook- until now. I think it was not a big problem, than we can buy from warung, or from many "moving warung".

Like Ni Luh, i love my microwave too ... and good freezer. Than if i cook indonesian food like "Rendang, Semur etc" i cook this kind of food very much... i make 10 small portion from them. So you don´t need cook every day... but you can eat excellent food everyday...
Just fresh vegetable.... they must be fresh from wok... or as salad.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Pak Jimbo, you cheeky monkey!! :lol:

I don't have daily cleaner actually, just once a week for a few hours. I have a business to run so have to work every day I'm afraid!! :cry:

Anyway, what's the point of having a teenager in the house if you can't make make use of them? My son is almost 17 now and he cleans his own room, washes his own clothes, cleans the kitchen and takes out rubbish! He also babysits twice a week, for money of course! :roll:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Typical Manchester expression. :)

I have 4 children at home and they are very happy for their mother to do everything (although not when I am at home)

My wife is an absolute star. A great mother, a great wife, a great housekeeper and most of all a great friend. We are just so lucky to have her.

She is the glue that binds us all into a family and we would be totally lost without her.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Totally amazed at the number of Angels in here who cannot cook. Even their mothers.

Its a lot like that in Saudi with imported servants from India, Pakistan, Phillipines and Indonesia to do all the work.

Looks like a Rich and poor scenario all over.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Now Jimbo, are you honestly going to tell us that when you lived in Toraja you and your wife didn't have a pembantu or two?

And now, all by yourself in SA....no belly dancing princesses to massage away the tensions of a hard day at work? :p

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK

Roy said:
Now Jimbo, are you honestly going to tell us that when you lived in Toraja you and your wife didn't have a pembantu or two?

And now, all by yourself in SA....no belly dancing princesses to massage away the tensions of a hard day at work? :p

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, jokes aside. When we came home from Bali 18 mths ago, we went with Emirates Airlines. We were in the Business class and there was an Arab family boarded the plane from Dubai. They brought 2 servants with them and all night they never stopped going up & down, here & there, tending to the 4 spoilt & horrible kids!!! At one point I nearly went to the Parents and told them what for, but decided to keep quiet. Don't know why, maybe as I was worried to cause an international incident? :roll:

Anyway, basically I've just been reminded again of how terrible some servants are treated. :shock: